Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Carry optics sub forum

I am not planning to start shooting CO but I believe that once a good number of shooters start competing in the division and more manufacturers release factory CO pistols, the division will become very popular...especially with new shooters and those with old eyes (like me).

• Replies 625
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cool. I really wanted one of those. I wish I could get a 40 model and use it in limited and then use a 9mm conversion barrel to use it in carry optics. I know that wouldn't be legal.

I haven't been following this discussion but I would think that you could use a .40 and just shoot minor. I'm considering removing the magwell from my Glock 35 and putting on a red dot and giving it a try.

I had the same problem as "atbarr" hide & seek with the dot. Did not place very well at my first CO match.

Would backup iron sights found on some setups help to minimize this issue?

Edited by alma

I just became aware of this new category for USPSA, mostly thanks to the powerfactor show.

Might be just the cure for old guys who are in need of some new eyes.

We have an old practice .22 with an equally old tube type dot scope, and at first it was kind of difficult to find that dot.

But then it became obvious what the problem really was - poor aiming.

If the dot isn't there immediately, it's more than likely due to sloppy presentation.

Working on that made the dot easy to find.

And, ironically, also made point shooting easier.

Alma...(the quote thingy isn't working for me so I'll have to reply this way).

I have a S&W M&P CORE with iron sights. I've shot M&Ps with iron sights for years. Drawing to the sights is ingrained. With a FFIII mounted in front of the rear sight the sights are visible in the window. "Drawing to the sights" puts the dot right on target. The BUIS are a MAJOR ASSET in finding the dot. My "first hit from the holster" times are just as fast as with iron sights and the hits beyond 10 yards are MUCH more accurate.

I can see shooters having problems finding the dot on a "bare slide"... but not with the BUIS. They lead the eyes to the dot.

I had the same problem as "atbarr" hide & seek with the dot. Did not place very well at my first CO match.

Practice will help as noted. But I purchased an M&P Ported and find the BUIS eliminates "hunting for dot". Once it is added to the approved list I believe it will be OK for CO if a non-ported barrel is used.

Would backup iron sights found on some setups help to minimize this issue?

I don't think so - with the dot you should be target focused, the dot just appears in front of target with proper presentation. If you need to change focus to gun to find the dot, wether BUIS or creating a visual index with optic (how much barrel you see for dot, for example), you're not getting full benefit of dot IMHO. With enough practice, it will become natural to stay target focused and have dot always there.

Hello: Anyone shoot carry optics with their production gun and iron sights? Seems like a cheaper way to go until it is a actually a division. Thanks, Eric

Eric,

Yes. I'll do it several more times and receive a classification in CO. If it becomes a division (non-provisional) I'll consider investing in (adding) an optic.

Best,

ac

I saw one! A buddy showed up with one. Sad thing is there was a shooter on the squad who is a USPSA member who had never heard of CO. I think if this division is to survive HQ needs to do a better job of getting the word out

Shot my second match in carry optics bit of an adjustment going from cmore on an open gun to delta point on the back of an m&p core. So far I am enjoying it. Gives those of us who have a problem seeing the front sight somewhere else to play.

Edited by caspian guy

I saw one! A buddy showed up with one. Sad thing is there was a shooter on the squad who is a USPSA member who had never heard of CO. I think if this division is to survive HQ needs to do a better job of getting the word out

This member doesn't read Front Sight, USPSA website, or the BOD minutes?

ETA: brianenos.com, USPSA Facebook Page, Doodie :devil:, USPSA Forums....

You can lead a horse to water...

Edited by ChuckS

This member doesn't read Front Sight, USPSA website, or the BOD minutes?

ETA: brianenos.com, USPSA Facebook Page, Doodie :devil:, USPSA Forums....

You can lead a horse to water...

My guess is thousands are not up to speed on the organization. Pretty sure there are at least two regulars at my matches that don't even have email. They go to the library to check scores if they care that month.

• 2 weeks later...

Can a para 18.9 Pro Custom be used in CO if the magwell is removed?

1) Is it on the Production gun list?

2) Is it at or under 35 oz.?

3) Is it Single Action?

if the answer to #'s 1 and 2 is yes AND the answer to #3 is no, then yes you can

• 2 weeks later...

Honestly I'm excited about this new division. I took my open G17 setup back to Production rules but left the dot, and with my 147gr. soft minor loads I couldn't be happier with this setup. I also love that I can use my 140 mm mags. post-7954-144579548533_thumb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk