Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Carry optics sub forum

• Replies 625
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...I think CO will be fun and challenging.

I think that in a few years, it will be bigger than Open.
From what I am hearing from shooters Face to face I doubt it. All I heard were jokes about it at a level II this weekend. I'm just not convinced the grass roots support is there. I have yet to see one at a local here.

From what I am hearing from shooters Face to face I doubt it. All I heard were jokes about it at a level II this weekend. I'm just not convinced the grass roots support is there. I have yet to see one at a local here.

Once upon a time, all we heard was a lot of jokes about how Production should be a box stock gun with no changes allowed, and people grumbling about dilution of the sport. That was around 2001-2002......

So if the BOD shepherds CO as well as they shepherded Production, I'm thinking by 2025 or so it could be more popular than open.....

There hasn't been any matches include carry optics in my area either. (Kansas City area)

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

In CA you can only buy guns on an approved list. The ones I would want for CO are not on that list, so I can not buy them. Like a CZ P09 for instance. It doesn't matter how awesome of a deal Mink will make me on one if I can't get it in CA. So no CO for me right now.

I go have a G34 I could get another slide for and get it cut, get the mount, get the optic but I don't want to do that.

There hasn't been any matches include carry optics in my area either. (Kansas City area)

The local clubs I've attended have the CO option available. Since some of the clubs track your progress for year end awards based on Division, we'll probably have to wait until the start of the year to see more shooters participating. My problem, I enjoy shooting revolver and single stack, there's only 4 weekends a month. I do have my CO gun in the safe though :)

no offense but I don't think Kansas & Ohio count as mecca for USPSA .... come down to Florida ... it's everywhere ....

no offense but I don't think Kansas & Ohio count as mecca for USPSA .... come down to Florida ... it's everywhere ....
And that still doesn't mean anything. When it gets bigger than revo or L10 everywhere(not just Florida) then perhaps......

Has anyone had a local shooter that was, lets say for example, shooting consistently at a B level in production, shoot some matches with the same production gun but in CO? I'm curious to see what quantifiable advantage this is going to provide.

Has anyone had a local shooter that was, lets say for example, shooting consistently at a B level in production, shoot some matches with the same production gun but in CO? I'm curious to see what quantifiable advantage this is going to provide.

I have been shooting CO, I did it last winter and then again starting last month when it was made provisional.

I'm still new to the dot, so I feel I am a bit slower, but my points are much better.

It isn't about an advantage, if you are a B in production you are probably going to be a B in carry optics. You give a C production shooter an open gun and they will probably finish with the C's, but will have a higher overall match finish.

This is not about giving people an advantage against other people, it's about shooting with a dot.

This is not about giving people an advantage against other people, it's about shooting with a dot.

Soooo...why not shoot the dot in Open, where it's already legal?

Because open minor is very dumb, unless you like losing.

Sorry, I must have missed something. I thought it was about shooting with a dot, and not having advantage.

if it's about winning, what about the CO GMs? Don't think most of us are gonna beat those pesky folks with a dot, or anything else.

Soooo...why not shoot the dot in Open, where it's already legal?

Because open minor is very dumb, unless you like losing.

Sorry, I must have missed something. I thought it was about shooting with a dot, and not having advantage.

if it's about winning, what about the CO GMs? Don't think most of us are gonna beat those pesky folks with a dot, or anything else.

Are you even reading what you write? An open GM is very likely a good shooter, regardless of division, we agree? But if he shoots his production gun and then shoots the same course with his open gun, which do you think would be faster? I think we agree open. But does that mean that his GM score with his production gun is any less good? No, because he is shooting against the PRODUCTION shooters, not the open shooters.

People are going to classify approximately the same, regardless of what kind of gun you put in their hands. So they are going to be shooting against the same class people, regardless of division (i know I said the same thing twice, I'm trying to phrase it multiple ways for clarity). HOWEVER, shooting minor in open is a distinct disadvantage. For example (I'm not using myself as an example for any reason other than it just happened) at the last match I shot, I would have won open if I was shooting major. Change nothing but that, and I would have gone from 3rd to 1st. That's pretty dramatically different.

So no it isn't about competitive advantage, but competitive equity. Because you or I aren't going to beat that CO GM, regardless of division.