Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Wish list of Rule changes

dskinsler83

I'd like to see the Nook used for scoring instead of paper. I got a DQ at a club USPSA match and then got to score everybody for the rest of the match. That thing rocks

Page 12 ownage!

Edited by Suicycle

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What he said. I dont want to have to buy a new pistol and holster if I don't have to.

A few things I'd like to see changed (some mentioned already):

(1) Increase the weight limit in SSP from 39oz to maybe 42oz (still prohibiting add-on magwells, stippling, and other accoutrements reserved for ESP) - an extra ounce or two isn't going to make an Expert into a Master, and there are actually more than a few off-the-shelf stock/service DA/SA guns that are on the line or just can't play IDPA due to their heft. Specifically, or as an example: CZ SP-01's (standard and/or Shadows) are quite popular in USPSA Production (which most of us play as well) which more or less mirrors IDPA SSP, and while they're heavier, they don't dominate over the lighter Glocks or anything else. Guys should be allowed to shoot whatever "stock/service" gun they like shooting... IMO the logic that a weight of more than 39oz compromises "the spirit of IDPA" concerning shooting only "carry guns" goes out the window here, as pretty much any/all full-size 1911's weighs more than 39oz, and obviously they're still considered "carry guns" or they'd be out too (instead of basically having CDP mostly to themselves).

End tirade.

I third this. If IDPA is supposed to be about carry guns, then why did I have to buy a separate, lighter gun specifically to shoot a carry gun match? Because my carry gun is too heavy for a carry gun? Personally I think USPSA was on the right track in production division by just saying stock guns fly weight-wise so long as they are no more than 2 oz. over stock.

What he said. I dont want to have to buy a new pistol and holster if I don't have to.

A few things I'd like to see changed (some mentioned already):

(1) Increase the weight limit in SSP from 39oz to maybe 42oz (still prohibiting add-on magwells, stippling, and other accoutrements reserved for ESP) - an extra ounce or two isn't going to make an Expert into a Master, and there are actually more than a few off-the-shelf stock/service DA/SA guns that are on the line or just can't play IDPA due to their heft. Specifically, or as an example: CZ SP-01's (standard and/or Shadows) are quite popular in USPSA Production (which most of us play as well) which more or less mirrors IDPA SSP, and while they're heavier, they don't dominate over the lighter Glocks or anything else. Guys should be allowed to shoot whatever "stock/service" gun they like shooting... IMO the logic that a weight of more than 39oz compromises "the spirit of IDPA" concerning shooting only "carry guns" goes out the window here, as pretty much any/all full-size 1911's weighs more than 39oz, and obviously they're still considered "carry guns" or they'd be out too (instead of basically having CDP mostly to themselves).

End tirade.

no idea if this has been posted yet, but id like to see an "open" class where appendix holsters and melted in optics are legal (but no barrel porting) be a fun class and the melted in optics are picking up alot in carry use.

also id like to outlaw the stupid vests, cover garment must be an actual piece of clothing.

Those vests fit in perfectly where I live because a lot of sport fisherman wear them. They don't scream I am carrying a gun. So there is nothing wrong with the vest. I am also not against barrel porting so long as the gun fits in the box. We have ported pistols from GLock and other makers. They had their disadvantages such as for close in shooting but this can be over come with training to cant the pistol out board. Ports obviously reduced muzzle jump.

Pat

• 1 month later...

Allow ILS to be removed.

You can change the MSH to one without the ILS.

Is this a new rule change?? Last I looked (1 year ago) It was not allowed.

Clarification.

No one can say which SA pistols came with or without the ILS.

• 2 weeks later...

In keeping with the roots of the sport, - shooting from concealment, shooting in tactical priority, and shooting from behind cover pretty much encompass this.

Very simple requests:

1) do away with round dumping rules.

2) do away with where and where you cannot reload.

3) do away with the tactical reload

Matches will run so much better, no one will give it a second thought, everyone will be happy!

• 2 weeks later...

"oose the BARREL BUSHING RULE FOR ESP. Numerous guns come without them that are carried everyday why can't i shoot it in IDPA? I also think stage walk throughs should go away. If we are going to practice for Practical Applications I have never walked through a gun fight overseas prior to it happening to get the target layout. And we should be able to load mags to full capacity who only put 10rnds in a 17rnd factory mag? The knee pad rule I think should stay do you were them out and about to wal-mart I didn't think so."

Assuming you served overseas, thank you for your service. Regarding your post, the round cap was always to keep a level playing field. Regarding the knee pad rule, people with bad knees, overweight shooters, and older shooters are not gearing up to go into combat. They are generally social shooters that want to participate in a game that they usually have a great deal of pride for. The implication of your post (and this conversation always goes this way and I'm sure it'll get closed soon) is that IDPA needs to be a combat oriented simulation. You have never walked through a gun fight overseas prior to it happening. I have never been attacked by 18 guys that I had to shoot one shot each on while conceal carrying my 4" revolver with a photographer's vest.

the round cap was always to keep a level playing field.

A little clarification. At the time IDPA was organized, the ten round magazine capacity limit was THE LAW.

It still is in several states and countries where IDPA is shot.

Regarding the knee pad rule, some say you don't wear knee pads to Walmart. I say you don't get in half a dozen gunfights while out for a carton of milk, either. I am sure that if my only injury after a real gunfight is sore knees, I will be glad of it.

RE: Knee pads, wrist braces, etc. I shoot in Florida, one of the most active IDPA states and have been to seven or eight different clubs, and have travelled quite a bit in the Southeast to shoot sanctioned matches. The majority of the shooters I see are over 35 years of age. Of those, the majority are over 45.

Life in general takes a toll on the body. Old knees, ankles, wrists, etc... can use a little protection just as a physical safety issue. I see no reason why older shooters (or any shooter) should be denied basic body protection during what is nothing more than a sporting event. If I had a dollar for everytime I've had to take a knee and landed on a fired case, I could buy a new gun or two.

I think these items should be allowed. As for whether or not we would wear these to Wal-Mart, I don't see the logic of that connection. I also don't wear shooting glasses, electronic muffs when I go there either. Those are safety items I wear when shooting.... the same as lnee pads and braces. I also don't wear a fishing vest in Wal-Mart either.

RE: Knee pads, wrist braces, etc. I shoot in Florida, one of the most active IDPA states and have been to seven or eight different clubs, and have travelled quite a bit in the Southeast to shoot sanctioned matches. The majority of the shooters I see are over 35 years of age. Of those, the majority are over 45.

Life in general takes a toll on the body. Old knees, ankles, wrists, etc... can use a little protection just as a physical safety issue. I see no reason why older shooters (or any shooter) should be denied basic body protection during what is nothing more than a sporting event. If I had a dollar for everytime I've had to take a knee and landed on a fired case, I could buy a new gun or two.

I think these items should be allowed. As for whether or not we would wear these to Wal-Mart, I don't see the logic of that connection. I also don't wear shooting glasses, electronic muffs when I go there either. Those are safety items I wear when shooting.... the same as lnee pads and braces. I also don't wear a fishing vest in Wal-Mart either.

I'm in agreement on this.

Having been in 3 Armies, worked as a heavy equipment mechanic, my knees are in need of replacement - meds aren't working anymore - so replacement will be forthcoming.

This is a sport and knees need protection too, like eyes and ears.

That being said, I was one that said no to knee pad (except the ones that are worn inside the pant leg), until I read a well written article in the Tactical Journal by Ted Murphy, and thought that he was talking about me.

I guess shotgunners are richer than pistoleers.

Go to the Grand American Trapshoot and your entry fee covers your shells. Take your squad ticket to the shellhouse and pick up your shells for the event. All brands and all suitable loads are represented. No reloads allowed. Of course that is just one big event, the national championships, not done at every little club shoot.

I bet that is done more as a service for the shooters, it is hard to travel with more than 11lb of ammo on most airlines and that is not very many shot shells.

Mike

"he last couple local IDPA matchs he figured scores both ways and with the 1.0 second per point scores it placed several shooters further down on how they placed compared with the .50 second per point score."

I'm not trying to be sarcastic but this should be obvious...leave the point system alone. If you think someone isn't winning because they're too accurate, try doing everything faster instead of trying to change the game for someone's strengths. Such is the nature of improvement.

• 2 months later...

I wouldn't mind if they just limited the knee pad to your down side knee. That way they could allow the protection without worrying about the young kids doing a slide on their knee pads like on Act of Valor into cover. I did think about that at one stage where we went down a hallway and had to take a knee at the end.

• 3 weeks later...

Knee pads: ACL operation at West Point (Football). Wore knee pad in combat (Yes, 2 tours - Vietnam) Gunfight: 2nd tour (score US 2 - enemy 0) Rules in a gunfight: SURVIVE! Shoot 1st, often, & accurately.

Knee pads in IDPA: Probably does not provide an advantage; helps you get back up however. (It's a game; targets don't try to kill you.)

Ranger6

32 years service - US Army

I would like to see the inclusion of full dust cover, non bushing barrels ( of course still fitting in the box). 1 point = 1 second I mean the center is 8" its not just speed but accuracy.. that's about my tirade

This has been brought up before. I think it would cause people to shoot too slow, because the points add up so fast. Slower than they would in "real life".

I would like to see the inclusion of full dust cover, non bushing barrels ( of course still fitting in the box). 1 point = 1 second I mean the center is 8" its not just speed but accuracy.. that's about my tirade

IDPA is already VASTLY more weighted towards accuracy than USPSA. The thing is, the guys that are beating you know would still beat you if you changed the scoring. They would just slow down 5% and hit 95-100% down-zero.

IDPA is already VASTLY more weighted towards accuracy than USPSA. The thing is, the guys that are beating you know would still beat you if you changed the scoring. They would just slow down 5% and hit 95-100% down-zero.

who says im gettin beat maybe i want a bigger lead :P