Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Wish list of Rule changes

dskinsler83

I never quite understood why 40cal/10mm was excluded from CDP either. I have an opinion but that wouldn't be a wise thing to state it here.

Then again...I'm scared and intimidated by the mighty mighty .40, so...(only kidding). :devil:

Fixed, at no charge. :devil:

:roflol:

;)

I'm scared and intimidated by LOTS of things... :wacko:

I still hate 40 S&W. I do have a certain fondness for the 10mm though. :ph34r:

Thanks for your efforts... ;)

Just out of curiousity, how do you feel about a .40 S&W loaded out to 1.25" OAL and using 10mm loading data? Or in other words, does cheap brass make a cheap date a "10"? :blush:

Edited by jmbaccolyte

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never quite understood why 40cal/10mm was excluded from CDP either. I have an opinion but that wouldn't be a wise thing to state it here.

Then again...I'm scared and intimidated by the mighty mighty .40, so...(only kidding). :devil:

Fixed, at no charge. :devil:

:roflol:

;)

I'm scared and intimidated by LOTS of things... :wacko:

I still hate 40 S&W. I do have a certain fondness for the 10mm though. :ph34r:

Thanks for your efforts... ;)

Just out of curiousity, how do you feel about a .40 S&W loaded out to 1.25" OAL and using 10mm loading data? Or in other words, does cheap brass make a cheap date a "10"? :blush:

Whatever makes you happy ! :closedeyes:

So pretty much just run one division. Call it "Limited?" Maybe a separate division for optics. We could call it "Open." Hey, it's 1995 all over again.

Hey that's back when I started shooting the 1st time and we had Stock/Limited and Open.

In what division ? CDP is a protected place for 45 acp 1911's to compete. No rule will ever be made that makes a 1911 45 compete with better guns.

In ESP maintain status quo 10 round mags.

4. Custom Defensive Pistol Division (CDP)

Handguns permitted for use in this division must:

A. Be semi-automatic.

B. Be .45 ACP caliber.

C. Have a maximum unloaded weight of 41 oz., including an

empty magazine.

D. Fit in the IDPA gun test box measuring 8 ¾” x 6” x 1 5/8”

with an empty magazine inserted.

I fail to see where it says "1911's only", you can shoot any .45 acp gun in CDP, glocks, XD's, M&P's, even a Kahr if you wish. Personally i prefer to run my 1911 in esp.

I fail to see where it says "1911's only", you can shoot any .45 acp gun in CDP, glocks, XD's, M&P's, even a Kahr if you wish.

You're absolutely right that the rules do not say 1911s only, but they do say .45 ACP only, and they do limit magazine capacity to a classic single-stack 1911's capacity.

I fail to see where it says "1911's only", you can shoot any .45 acp gun in CDP, glocks, XD's, M&P's, even a Kahr if you wish.

You're absolutely right that the rules do not say 1911s only, but they do say .45 ACP only, and they do limit magazine capacity to a classic single-stack 1911's capacity.

which is much like the round limits placed in SSR and ESR, yet i dont see people crying fowl because they cant use their 7 and 8 shot revolvers.if you want to have 7 more rounds of .45 per stage, i cant find anything forbidding you from shooting a double stack 45 in ESP or SSP. not to mention you could drop your 45's down the 125 pf level vs the 165 pf of CDP.

A few things I'd like to see changed (some mentioned already):

(1) Increase the weight limit in SSP from 39oz to maybe 42oz (still prohibiting add-on magwells, stippling, and other accoutrements reserved for ESP) - an extra ounce or two isn't going to make an Expert into a Master, and there are actually more than a few off-the-shelf stock/service DA/SA guns that are on the line or just can't play IDPA due to their heft. Specifically, or as an example: CZ SP-01's (standard and/or Shadows) are quite popular in USPSA Production (which most of us play as well) which more or less mirrors IDPA SSP, and while they're heavier, they don't dominate over the lighter Glocks or anything else. Guys should be allowed to shoot whatever "stock/service" gun they like shooting... IMO the logic that a weight of more than 39oz compromises "the spirit of IDPA" concerning shooting only "carry guns" goes out the window here, as pretty much any/all full-size 1911's weighs more than 39oz, and obviously they're still considered "carry guns" or they'd be out too (instead of basically having CDP mostly to themselves).

(2) While I'm not a fan of them, XD's should be allowed in SSP. Anyone of us who's familiar enough with stripping, or working on M&P's, and has seem how they work has to admit that other than the ATF calling them DAO, there isn't a whole lot DA going on (or more so than an XD's function), and they're allowed.

(3) For rifles, or specifically DMG, 5.45x39 should be allowed - with what ammo costs these days, not allowing 5.45 when it's cheaper than 9mm, pretty much equal ballistics-wise to 5.56/.223, and becoming increasingly more popular, doesn't make any sense. Rifle ammo is expensive, so a more affordable (for the time being anyways) option might lead to more and more guys looking for more multi-gun type matches out of their local clubs, and more shooters = more competition = more fun.

End tirade.

Edited by ck1

• 4 weeks later...

Most of my "wishes" have all been stated, but I hope those changing the rules will not base their decisions on whether it's like USPSA or any other shooting sport. If it's a good rule, I don't care if it came from USPSA, or even SASS. And no, I have no loyalty to USPSA, I've never shot a match.

A point. The niche for FTDR between a PE and DQ for cheating is so narrow that it is seldom given and could be dropped. If we had some SOs and MDs brave enough to DQ the cheats.

Of course that would have to be accompanied by deletion of the "round dumping" proviso.

• 2 weeks later...

What about each club / match event being sponsored by a particular ammo maker else match organizer procuring the ammo, and everyone buys their match ammo when they register for the event. Take the custom ammo out of the equation.

You try that and you won't have anyone shooting at that club.

You can't tell anyone what ammo to put through their gun. Then there's the liability if the gun dismantles while shooting that particular brand of ammo.

What about each club / match event being sponsored by a particular ammo maker else match organizer procuring the ammo, and everyone buys their match ammo when they register for the event. Take the custom ammo out of the equation.

You can't tell anyone what ammo to put through their gun. Then there's the liability if the gun dismantles while shooting that particular brand of ammo.

Damn, was thinking along the lines of auto racing... everyone using the same fuel. No way to really enforce only using factory ammo of a particular grain I guess. Unless you're going to have officials pulling random samples to chrono. All that just seems silly.

I've not shot around guys that use custom loads to reduce recoil so I don't completely understand it. I'd rather shoot against the shooter, not the ammo.

Damn, was thinking along the lines of auto racing... everyone using the same fuel. No way to really enforce only using factory ammo of a particular grain I guess. Unless you're going to have officials pulling random samples to chrono. All that just seems silly.

I've not shot around guys that use custom loads to reduce recoil so I don't completely understand it. I'd rather shoot against the shooter, not the ammo.

Anyone who reloads is using custom ammo. The object is to find alod that runs in your gun and has the recoil impulse that you like.

One thing that I forgot to mention, a lot of shooters re-spring their guns, so some ammo won't work or it'll beat the gun into submission.

Anyone who reloads is using custom ammo. The object is to find alod that runs in your gun and has the recoil impulse that you like.

One thing that I forgot to mention, a lot of shooters re-spring their guns, so some ammo won't work or it'll beat the gun into submission.

Yes but they wouldn't if shooting in a organization that only allows factory rounds of particular loads. Maybe custom loads are only allowed for open? I mean if we are talking about keeping the production and limited classes down to where every day guys can afford to compete... I know I don't have the time or money to customize a load for any of my guns.

I mean if we are talking about keeping the production and limited classes down to where every day guys can afford to compete... I know I don't have the time or money to customize a load for any of my guns.

I hope this is a troll post.

I mean if we are talking about keeping the production and limited classes down to where every day guys can afford to compete... I know I don't have the time or money to customize a load for any of my guns.

Not sure how it is on your planet, but here on earth it is far far cheaper to 'customize' a load than it is to buy one off the shelf. If I had to use factory ammo, I simply would quit shooting competitively. No way can I afford it, even in 9mm. There would be like 2 trust-funders left shooting CDP.

Edited by motosapiens

I guess shotgunners are richer than pistoleers.

Go to the Grand American Trapshoot and your entry fee covers your shells. Take your squad ticket to the shellhouse and pick up your shells for the event. All brands and all suitable loads are represented. No reloads allowed. Of course that is just one big event, the national championships, not done at every little club shoot.

Go to the Grand American Trapshoot and your entry fee covers your shells. Take your squad ticket to the shellhouse and pick up your shells for the event. All brands and all suitable loads are represented. No reloads allowed. Of course that is just one big event, the national championships, not done at every little club shoot.

Ya think? Top of the line open gun... 6k entry level shot gun 10k

Ya think? Top of the line open gun... 6k entry level shot gun 10k

competitive production SSP pistol $500 :cheers:

Edited by motosapiens

Not sure how it is on your planet, but here on earth it is far far cheaper to 'customize' a load than it is to buy one off the shelf. If I had to use factory ammo, I simply would quit shooting competitively. No way can I afford it, even in 9mm. There would be like 2 trust-funders left shooting CDP.

Me too the only factory ammo I shoot a bunch of is 22 rimfire.

pat

Oh yeah, I forgot it was IDPA.... Custom built no holds barred ESP pistol 4,000...

I don't reload to shoot better and faster I reload to shoot more which makes me better and faster. :cheers:

Well then I digress, I didn't mean to start a flame war about it. I guess one of the biggest problems is all the diversity of this sport. Most of it I admittedly don't understand yet.

no idea if this has been posted yet, but id like to see an "open" class where appendix holsters and melted in optics are legal (but no barrel porting) be a fun class and the melted in optics are picking up alot in carry use.

also id like to outlaw the stupid vests, cover garment must be an actual piece of clothing.