Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gun shop experts and their quotes

Sarge

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

I was told by an employee of the local gun range yesterday that if I fired lead in my XDM that it would blow the gun up within 200 rounds. Said they had seen it happen before at the range (Bear in mind that I live less than 1/2 mile from the range, and I knew the previous two owners quite well, and the new owners have not had the range for even a year yet), so I asked him if I could see the blown up XDM. "The owner took it with him after he blew it up". Well, I think I'll take my chances....

I was told by an employee of the local gun range yesterday that if I fired lead in my XDM that it would blow the gun up within 200 rounds. Said they had seen it happen before at the range (Bear in mind that I live less than 1/2 mile from the range, and I knew the previous two owners quite well, and the new owners have not had the range for even a year yet), so I asked him if I could see the blown up XDM. "The owner took it with him after he blew it up". Well, I think I'll take my chances....

You, my man are a REBEL!

This blasphemy of which you speak, REPEAT NOT! For those less wiser and aware of the arts and customs of modern reloading techniques, may hear this and start reloading themselves!

Then where would I get all my free brass?

SILENCE!

I can sympathize with many of the gun shop customer and clerk stories given in this thread. I have seen both sides from the stupid shop clerk to the annoying mall ninja customer. The funniest I have seen lately involved a buddy of mine who is an avid USPSA shooter and instructor and his client/student. I was in the shop picking up a gun I had ordered and while I was there this guy walks in with his newly purchased Glock. He had taken several classes with my friend already in addition to purchasing the gun from his shop and he wanted to know how to take it apart and clean it. I sat there for at least an hour while my friend repeatedly assembled and disassembled that gun for the guy. At one point I got so frustrated I jumped in and suggested a way to take it apart thinking he lacked the hand/finger strength to do it. No matter what we suggested he simply couldn't get that gun apart. Every time it looked like he was close to exherting the correct angle of pressure on the release tabs he would twist the gun in another direction. My buddy had the patience of a saint and I can only imagine what the former classes were like with the guy.

After a good hour had passed he left without even getting close to taking it apart and all I could say to my buddy was he should have sold him an M&P with the big takedown lever, LOL!!

My nephew got a 1911 for his birthday a few years ago. He rounds up Uncle Sam and away we go to Casper to find a holster and some mags. We're in one of the big sporting goods chain stores looking at a wall full of pistol magazines when the expert behind the counter comes down to advise us. "Can I help you guys?" "Yeah, you got any Kimber magazines for a 1911?" (Remember we are seriously studying a wall rack full of magazines.) Expert looks puzzled. Then, "maybe", he says, motioning for us to follow as he walks 50 feet down the gun counter. We get to the cash register and he whips out a nice glossy magazine with a pretty Kimber 1911 on the cover. (I bit a hole in my cheek trying not to laugh.) My nephew is looking at the guy like he's from New York City or something.

Having no idea what to say to the guy, I finally mimed a tap-rack-bang for John Browning. Finally, a glint of realization in his eye. "OH, you mean CLIPS????"

I involuntarily cringe and quickly try to assess the value of explaing the difference between a clip, a magazine, and a copy of Combat Handguns.

(Nah, I decide. Don't go there!)

"uh.....yeah.... clips....do you have any clips for a 1911?" (Gint of realization has faded from John Brownings eyes by now.)

Nephew: "Like a Colt Government Model.45?"

I don't think we have any right now. If we do, they will be on that wall down there.....

I overheard this conversation today at a gun shop:

Customer: "I like the Glocks."

Guy behind the counter: "Until they stovepipe. I've never seen one that didn't eventually stovepipe."

Well, they do. If you hold 'em about two inches too low and only with thumb and one finger. :rolleyes:

• 2 months later...

My only question is; did you field strip it look it over put it back together and then hand it back?

Did that once with a MP to a new guy at the local gun store. He looked at me like I just broke it in half. The owner was sitting behind the register laughing his butt off :D

Did that once with a MP to a new guy at the local gun store. He looked at me like I just broke it in half. The owner was sitting behind the register laughing his butt off :D

I did it once with a 1911 at a chain sporting good store. Before doing so I kindly asked the kid behind the counter if it was ok if I field stripped the gun. He was like wha?? :blink: When the first part came off he was all :surprise: When I checked it out and put it back together he about crapped his drawers. I honestly think the kid didn't know you could take them apart.

Joe W.

Over the years I've run into certain guys carrying 1911s who absolutely didn't believe me that you could totally detail strip the gun without tools. I said, "Let me see your gun." So then I took it apart, down to the last past little piece, except for leaving on the grips. So I've got the gun down into its component pieces, spread all over the counter in front of him. Then I look at my watch and say, "Oops! Gotta go. You remember how I did that, right? Just put it together in the reverse order." And I make like I'm going to walk away, while simultaneously grinning at him.

The look on his face is priceless. :devil:

The end of the hammer strut is perfectly sized and shaped to push out the mainspring housing pin. At least in the classic design that's the case. Some guns these days have hammer struts that are "square" all the way down. But at least when the gun is configured the way it's supposed to be, part of the genius of the 1911 design is that, every time you get to a point that you need a tool to remove a particular part, you find that one of the parts you've already removed is perfectly sized and shaped to be that tool. Then you can use the same "punch" to depress the mainspring cap, relieving pressure on the mainspring cap pin, and you find, lo and behold, that the tip of the firing pin is exactly the right size to push out that pin.

I didn't actually leave. I'm not THAT evil.

Armchair Rambo singing the praises of his new carry gun:

"It's the most accurate gun I own!"

"Really? How big are your groups at 15 yards?"

"I don't shoot that way."

:roflol:

"Reloading is dangerous. One primer goes off and sets off all that powder, then BOOM, you're splattered everywhere."

:roflol:

I don't have any good ones because all the guys, and one girl, that worked in the gun shop I used to go knew their shit, the Pistol Parlour in Mesa.

What a fun thread. I added it to the Best of All Time BE Topics thread in the Like forums.

be