Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gun shop experts and their quotes

Sarge

... I almost went up to him and asked him to field strip it (or the EMP) for me, to show me the match grade bushing in a bull barreled gun.

People will say anything to make a sale......

I don't know what you mean. The bushing on my EMP is so well fit and so smooth, it's almost like it's not even there!

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sportmans in lex is a real trip sometimes. Saw a guy behind the counter showing off a single action revolver. After he was handed the gun back the idiot behind the counter decided to show off is single action skills, and attempted to do a twirl of the gun then cock the hammer. Gun ended up clanking off the floor. Sure enough, he picked it up and right back on the wall it went

• 4 weeks later...

Ok here's my best one. Go get some popcorn, you'll need it.

Guys (23-25 years old) walks into shop YESTERDAY and walks around a while then comes over and asked to look at a Heritage Rough Rider (22 revolver) and asked me if these are good guns or what I could tell him about it.

I tell him that they are an OK gun for plinking if your on a budget, the action is a little rough. He asked about accuracy and I told him we'll there not a 1" gun at 25 yards but most people can't shoot a 1" group anyway.

He responded, Well I shoot a 1 1/2" to a 2" group at 50 yards. I ask him if he shoots off of bags or while standing and holding the guns and he says just while standing up. I told him wow 2" groups standing at 50, you should become a Professional shooter because that's damn good.

He replies: I am a professional shooter.

I said "oh well that would explain the crazy accuracy" I asked him what type of shooting do you do?

Him: I'm a speed shooter

Me: oh like USPSA shooting

him: Yes

Me: oh where do you shoot?

Him: locally

Me: Oh really, well i'm the assistant match director for this area and the Range Master for ........(another local area), then I told him well I've never seen you around

Him: blank look on his face

me: what caliber and what gun

him: 9mm beretta

Me: You must reload to get that kind of accuracy

Him: yes

me: what kind of press do you use?

Him: I don't remember

me: what color is it?

him: black

me: black???? with a puzzled look on my face!!!

him: well black and green

me: oh is it an RCBS?

him: yes that's it. I found that subsonic rounds are the most accurate.

Me: really? usually subsonic's aren't as accurate, what grain are you using?

him: 95

me: your shooting a 95 grain bullet out of a 9mm subsonic, because in this area, subsonic needs to be under around 980fps

him: well maybe it's a 96 grain

him: yeah i'm shooting at 800fps

Me: (getting out calculator) well your shooting a 96 grain bullet out of a semi auto with a power factor of 76? that surely can't cycle the slide, heck you probably could pull your bullets out of a target stick with that low recoil. What kind of powder are you using?

THIS IS NOT MADE UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Him: um....Pyrodex

me: PYRODEX?????????? UM Black powder substitute out of a 9mm???????????????????? OMG and I start laughing....

him: well i'm new to reloading

Me: how much powder are you using?

him: well I just fill up the case with it

me: You fill up the case with pyrodex and are shooting a 1 1/2" group at 50 yards with that load. i'm surprised the bullet comes out of the barrel (just messing with him now)it must drop horribly

him: Well (taking his finger to demonstrate a gun)he points it up at about a 45 degree angle and says I have to hold it up like that for it to hit the target.

me: damn man you are good, lobbing a bullet being pushed by pyrodex at a target at 50 yards and keeping that kind of accuracy, you must be one of the best in the world.

Well it just keeps going on from here. I ask him about his dies, primers, and such and he just keeps lying in the most general terms, now I had a group of people just standing around listening to him and you would think that after calling him out on EVERYTHING out of his mouth, he would have learned his lesson, but no he just keeps it up and finally I had to tell him I needed to attend to some of the customers and wished him a great day.

unfortunately he said he'd be back to talk to me, maybe he can take me to the range and we can work on my accuracy.

What a chode!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Spray_N_Prey

Walked into a new gun store in town. Guy had no idea who I was. I walked over and looked at the handguns he met me there. I was looking at the glock section and he had new gen 3 glocks for 625$ I said "wow 625 for a new glock" he said "yeah a steal isnt it." I said man I have seen them wayyyy cheaper. "He said well those are used guns Glock sets the prices on all the new guns I cant sell them any lower". So I asked if he had any G24's he said no that model isnt allowed in the US. I said I thought only the .380's and the g18 were not. He assure med that it wasnt allowed. So we looked at the shotguns. He had a benelli nova, wich he assured me was the top of the line benelli.(i own one) I asked if he had any M2's he said he didnt carry fully auto military guns. I asked about compeitions, he described how he was a pro shooter who had just retired I asked what kind of competition he said he shot action pistol. With a 1911, he said there was no better gun than the 1911 in competition. Now I am the Md here in our aread for USPSA and I asked him "well Ive seen that Sevigney guy shoot with a glock I wanna do that. He said "O thats just propaganda, no one shoots glocks in competition" lol I chuckeld and laughed. I headed straight for the door.! he said "come back again soon" I dont htink I will.

My story doesn't compare ^^^ ...but sadly true

Last trip to Tworld...sales guys tells me (and a newby I'm there shopping with) how his grandfather, in an effort to prove the inherent safety of the venerable 1911, throws a locked and loaded 1911 into a nearby tree. "safest gun out there" - I wanted to point out that...all I could muster was a "huh?" and walked away. <_<

I made sure my buddy knew my thoughts about this dim-wit and his procedures for safety...don't get me started on the guy there who doesn't like it when I take out the magazines when handling the guns...apparently too hard to keep track of them.

Good news...I got a first person example for my newbie friend...

Guys (23-25 years old) walks into shop YESTERDAY and walks around a while then comes over and asked to look at a Heritage Rough Rider (22 revolver) and asked me if these are good guns or what I could tell him about it.

I tell him that they are an OK gun for plinking if your on a budget, the action is a little rough. He asked about accuracy and I told him we'll there not a 1" gun at 25 yards but most people can't shoot a 1" group anyway.

He responded, Well I shoot a 1 1/2" to a 2" group at 50 yards. I ask him if he shoots off of bags or while standing and holding the guns and he says just while standing up. I told him wow 2" groups standing at 50, you should become a Professional shooter because that's damn good.

He replies: I am a professional shooter.

I said "oh well that would explain the crazy accuracy" I asked him what type of shooting do you do?

Him: I'm a speed shooter

Me: oh like USPSA shooting

him: Yes

Me: oh where do you shoot?

Him: locally

Me: Oh really, well i'm the assistant match director for this area and the Range Master for ........(another local area), then I told him well I've never seen you around

Him: blank look on his face

me: what caliber and what gun

him: 9mm beretta

Me: You must reload to get that kind of accuracy

Him: yes

me: what kind of press do you use?

Him: I don't remember

me: what color is it?

him: black

me: black???? with a puzzled look on my face!!!

him: well black and green

me: oh is it an RCBS?

him: yes that's it. I found that subsonic rounds are the most accurate.

Me: really? usually subsonic's aren't as accurate, what grain are you using?

him: 95

me: your shooting a 95 grain bullet out of a 9mm subsonic, because in this area, subsonic needs to be under around 980fps

him: well maybe it's a 96 grain

him: yeah i'm shooting at 800fps

Me: (getting out calculator) well your shooting a 96 grain bullet out of a semi auto with a power factor of 76? that surely can't cycle the slide, heck you probably could pull your bullets out of a target stick with that low recoil. What kind of powder are you using?

THIS IS NOT MADE UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Him: um....Pyrodex

me: PYRODEX?????????? UM Black powder substitute out of a 9mm???????????????????? OMG and I start laughing....

him: well i'm new to reloading

Me: how much powder are you using?

him: well I just fill up the case with it

me: You fill up the case with pyrodex and are shooting a 1 1/2" group at 50 yards with that load. i'm surprised the bullet comes out of the barrel (just messing with him now)it must drop horribly

him: Well (taking his finger to demonstrate a gun)he points it up at about a 45 degree angle and says I have to hold it up like that for it to hit the target.

me: damn man you are good, lobbing a bullet being pushed by pyrodex at a target at 50 yards and keeping that kind of accuracy, you must be one of the best in the world.

Well it just keeps going on from here. I ask him about his dies, primers, and such and he just keeps lying in the most general terms, now I had a group of people just standing around listening to him and you would think that after calling him out on EVERYTHING out of his mouth, he would have learned his lesson, but no he just keeps it up and finally I had to tell him I needed to attend to some of the customers and wished him a great day.

unfortunately he said he'd be back to talk to me, maybe he can take me to the range and we can work on my accuracy.

What a chode!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A couple years ago I would have thrown the BS flag on this story. Now, after everyone knows my wife and I compete in pistol shooting, I have met all kinds of people like this. Work is the worst place as everyone is former, retired or active military.

I can only imagine what you meet running a shop. Please keep the stories coming. You make me appreciate my job! :roflol:

:cheers:

Edited by Bigpops

..."well Ive seen that Sevigney guy shoot with a glock I wanna do that. He said "O thats just propaganda, no one shoots glocks in competition" lol I chuckeld and laughed.

Dave is definitely 'PRO'paganda of the best kind.

I especially like "No one shoots a Glock in competition". I'll have to remember this for the next match when we have entire squads of Glock Shooters. Next thing we'll hear is that no one can reload an auto and shoot before the the dropped mag hits the floor. let's all be honest, no one can really be that fast :) it is all camera angles and tricks that they show on TV.

My story doesn't compare ^^^ ...but sadly true

Last trip to Tworld...sales guys tells me (and a newby I'm there shopping with) how his grandfather, in an effort to prove the inherent safety of the venerable 1911, throws a locked and loaded 1911 into a nearby tree. "safest gun out there" - I wanted to point out that...all I could muster was a "huh?" and walked away. <_<

I made sure my buddy knew my thoughts about this dim-wit and his procedures for safety...don't get me started on the guy there who doesn't like it when I take out the magazines when handling the guns...apparently too hard to keep track of them.

Good news...I got a first person example for my newbie friend...

That place is great for laughs!

I haven't been back since my lesson on what to use for CCW scared the sh!t outta me. The guy behind the counter said he carries a full size 1911, proceeds to draw it and do a cowboy twirl with it in front of me. Yes, it was cocked and locked.

Lost my PC demeaner and asked him if he was out of his MF mind.

Walked out and haven't been back. I should have told the manager but I was too pissed.

The indoor range there on friday and Saturday night is another story. Date night in the 'Nati'.

Some guys just can't help themselves. My local watering hole used to have a guy who came in and told tall tales. The thing is that if someone was at the bar who was an authority on whatever subject he was expounding on he'd just make the story that much taller! His favorite stories were about his time working for "the company" in Viet Nam, when they'd shoot him out the torpedo tube of a submarine on secret spy missions! If a vet sat at the table, the stories would get even wilder.

I didn't shoot competitively back then, but I can just imagine the tall tales I could have heard if I'd mentioned a match!

Thanks for the laugh.

Edited by bbbean

I keep wondering where-n-hell these cocky idiots come from! :surprise: It's downright embarrassing to share the planet with them! (But it's funny stuff, for sure). :lol:

If that turkey had been shot out of a torpedo tube, he wouldn't be here to talk about it. Dumbass.

I keep wondering where-n-hell these cocky idiots come from! :surprise: It's downright embarrassing to share the planet with them! (But it's funny stuff, for sure). :lol:

If that turkey had been shot out of a torpedo tube, he wouldn't be here to talk about it. Dumbass.

They don't put powder in when they shoot people through the torpedo tubes, they only use the primers.

Human squibs are a pain to get rid of, not for the operator but the operatee.

While we're on the subject, I think I may know a few "human squibs"...

Edited by Team Amish 1

Sean Conery did it in "You Only Live Twice" - you're suggesting they faked that? lol

Ok - Navy guys.. in a sub.. could they really put someone in there, just open the doors, let the preasure equalize and let the guy swim out?

Sean Conery did it in "You Only Live Twice" - you're suggesting they faked that? lol

Ok - Navy guys.. in a sub.. could they really put someone in there, just open the doors, let the preasure equalize and let the guy swim out?

Yep, SEALS do it. But they are NOT shot out.

Swim out yes, depending on the depth. The rate of pressurization to equalize with sea pressure would be much greater than diving to the same depth. Now if you used the normal system/procedure used to get a torpedo out of the tube it would mash him like a bug on a windshield.

David E.

Looking at the term "Human squibs" reminds me of the name certain individuals were given on a SUB "Slugs" When you "shoot" a torpedo tube without a torpedo it’s called shooting "Water Slugs". SO I think Human squib = Water Slug!

David

Looking at the term "Human squibs" reminds me of the name certain individuals were given on a SUB "Slugs" When you "shoot" a torpedo tube without a torpedo it’s called shooting "Water Slugs". SO I think Human squib = Water Slug!

David

OK, I'll admit I know a few "human squibs" but "water slugs"... does have a nice ring to it.

Guy comes to the range with a CZ 75 that he just bought at "New Zealands Largest Firearms Dealer". We all have a look at it and find out that it can go fully auto. (If you let the the slide go the hammer will just fall). Club Captain sais the gun is unsafe and brings it back to the shop.

Club Captain: This gun is unsafe........ shows him whats wrong.

Clerk: Mmmhhhh... We better get rid of it!

2 weeks later

Another guy comes to the range with the same CZ 75 in the same conditon. He got it $100 cheeper...

We were thinking about thelling the police that the shop was selling illegal firearms :D

Ok we have a new guy that works with us at the shop, he is "ex" special forces in Vietnam (he says) worked mostly running spec ops in Laous. For the remainder of the story I will refer to "special forces" as Goober (no not his name, just the name us guys call him)

Well we got into it yesterday because this guy that has been coming into the shop for a few weeks now is trying to find the right gun for him, well Goober is over there showing him some 1911's and the guy asks about recoil on the 3" 1911's and Goober tells him "well these small ones don't kick nearly as much as a 5" 1911 and i'm like "what?, they kick quite a bit as a matter of fact, with my small hands I can't hardly shoot it much without adjusting my grip" and he's like well maybe for you but for me, they barely recoil at all. and the customer looks puzzled. Goober starts up again with "almost no recoil" and I once again tell him not to tell a potential customer that because it's not true and he argues some more and finally I look at the dude and i'm like seriously dude they do recoil quite noticeably more than a full size. Then Goober goes on to tell him that I don't know shit and I think i'm an expert and it's because of the short barrel on the 3" that alot of the powder is being blown out of the barrel, so it doesn't recoil as bad, the 5" builds up more pressure and has much more recoil.

So after the rest of us called "BS" on him the rest of the day, today we were making jokes about ordering the "small" spicy pizza because it wouldn't have quite the kick that the large pizza had.

I always notice he seems to be one of these "guys behind the counter" that misinforms the customer, Every time he starts to BS a customer, I try to walk over to him and he gets real quite until I leave. Our shop has been in business for over 22 years and is known to be the most knowledgable shop's around. So we might have a problem with ol' Goober and his wild tales.