Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gun shop experts and their quotes

Sarge

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This happened to me at a local gunshop/ indoor range. A friend of mine had just purchaced a new Glock 26, she was shooting and every round was hitting 4 inches to the left at ten yards, I shot the gun and the same thing was happening to me. So I went to the front counter to ask if they had a rear sight adjustment tool for a Glock.

Me: Do you have a rear sight adjustment tool for a Glock?

Counter: What do you need that for?

Me: I need to adjust my friends rear sight, the gun is shooting to the left.

Counter: Glock rear sight adjustment tools are only for removing the rear sights. wacko.gif

Me: mellow.gif It is called a rear adjustment tool because it is made to adjust the rear sight, duh! angry.gif

Counter: You are wrong sir, all Glocks shoot to the left, you need to just aim more to the right. wacko.gif

Me: mellow.gif You have no idea what you are talking about. angry.gif You actually give advise to new gun owners, God help us.

I have never been there since.

Actually, every Glock 9mm I've ever shot does hit left with the rear sight centered on the slide. This tendency is so common (actually I'm tempted to say universal) that when Richard Heinie first started doing sights for Glocks he offset the rear sight notch to the right on the blade. I've been installing sights on Glocks for so long that I can literally eyeball where to put the rear sight on the slide, offset exactly the correct amount to the right, to hit spot-on at 50 feet from the bench when I go to sight in the gun, and I haven't had to adjust the sights there on the range in years.

However, I always take an MGW sight adjustment tool with me, just in case. :lol:

Was in my local Gun shop the other day, just killing time, when I overheard and watched a supposed retired gunsmith and shooter (he claims to be both), now a salesman, instruct a young man on how to keep from jerking the trigger on a 500 S&W revolver. He instructed him to lay his index/trigger finger along side of the cylinder and to actually pull the trigger with his middle finger. I waited until he had said his piece and the potential customer had walked away, before telling the customer that if he did that, he'd stand a good chance of losing his index finger.

This is the same gunsmith/shooter/salesman I posted earlier in this thread that said that 38 super was inaccurate and weak, while 9mm out of the box was faster, shot straighter, and was more powerful.

I watched the same gunsmith/shooter/salesman sell a Glock 35 to a transplanted New York elderly couple, for home defense, when neither of them could even pull back the slide!

Just goes to show, people will do/say anything to try and make a buck.

It's a gun shop quote, and it's in the humor forum, but I can only wish, Grumpy, that what you described there was funny.

Out right irresponsible twit... :angry2:

edited to apologize for being crabby - I'll go back and read the rest of the thread to cheer up :D

Edited by kevin c

I was in a local shop looking for some AR accessories for a gun I was building and saw they had 2 boxes of Barrett Factory 50 BMG ammo. I was running low and had a few extra dollars in my pocket so I picked them up. They guy checking me out I would guess about 22ish said "Man the 50 BMG is such an awesome round and has so much energy the bullet does not even have to hit you. If it passes close enough to you it can take your arm off!'" I was able to hold back the laughter but the grin on my face had to give me away.

This is the same guy about a year earlier I walked in and they had a M82A1 CQ with the 20" barrel. I asked him if they could get one in the standard 29" length. His response was why not just by this one. It is way better. So I asked how is cutting off 9" of barrel and losing about 300 FPS on a long range rifle better? His response was it was a better CQB weapon and that you could get in and out of rooms and doorways with it. I let him know that no on in there right mind would room clear with a 50 BMG and me living in a non combat zone, nor being in the military (he was in the Marines) that CQB work was not part of my usualy activites. No real response. He tried to rattle off a few of the specs which were WRONG as per the Barrett Web Page. I was in the market at the time and had them memorized. Anyway pretty much turned me off to that shop and havent been back but a few times. He no longer works there.

Second incident was at a gun shop in OK. I was around there for a job I was working on. I Googled local gun shops and a class 3 place poped up. So I had some time and went check it out. Had about 10-20 Class 3 items and not your everyday gun shop inventory. One piece was an AR platform IIRC in 6.8 SPC with a tag that said not for sale. I noticed that the scope on top "looked" like a Mark 4 Medium 3x10x40 but was a Leupold FAKE. At the time and it may still be on Leupold''s web page, they had posted that they were getting alot of returns to the factory that were Chinese copies. The article explained 3 dead give aways to check for to see if the scope was a real factory scope or a fake. 1 was no gold ring around the objective lens of the scope. Another was there was not a gold L emblem in the center of the parallex adjustment. And the serial # on the bottom of the scope under the adjustment knobs were not correct markings. I had bought a few scopes off the net and had check my guns to make sure I did not get hosed so I was familar with the checks.

So I asked why was the gun not for sale was it on lay-a-way? He said the gun was his and he did not want to sell it. I then asked what kind of scope was on top. "LEUPOLD MARK 4 MRT" so I just said nicely "Ok thanks". Figured no reason to call him out in his own shop and bit my tongue but man I wanted to. My thinking was either A he really does not know that it IS a fake and if he got took on his OWN money and a product that he is in the business of selling then that does not give me much confidence in asking any questions about other products. Or B he really did know that it was a fake and LIED to me and I refuse to do business with people like that. So I just left.

Here is the link: http://www.leupold.com/tactical/resources/...erfeit-warning/

Edited by barney88pdc

"Man the 50 BMG is such an awesome round and has so much energy the bullet does not even have to hit you. If it passes close enough to you it can take your arm off!'"

MAN!! I can't put enough :roflol::lol::o on this page to do that justice!! THATS FUNNY!!

Edited by sandman

I was in a local shop looking for some AR accessories for a gun I was building and saw they had 2 boxes of Barrett Factory 50 BMG ammo. I was running low and had a few extra dollars in my pocket so I picked them up. They guy checking me out I would guess about 22ish said "Man the 50 BMG is such an awesome round and has so much energy the bullet does not even have to hit you. If it passes close enough to you it can take your arm off!'" I was able to hold back the laughter but the grin on my face had to give me away.

My Brother-in-law tried to tell me that BS about the 50 BMG not having to hit you. "Your head will explode from the pressure if it comes within 10 feet of you. Thats how military snipers are able to hip people from a mile away" I asked him if he was retarded.

The kicker.....he's National Guard :surprise:

I've been working in a gunshop for 7 years and pretty much everything in this thread I have heard. The upswing in gun sales has certainly led to some interesting encounters. My fellow coworkers are knowledgeable enough but I do have to huddle up with them from time to time. I did have a customer inform me that his AR15 had a 1-6 twist barrel. Having just read The Competitive AR15 Vol II by Glen Zedkier I was pretty sure that such an animal didn't exist so I inquired about what bullet weight he was using. He replied with "55gr, they are the most accurate." For all the knuckleheads we get, there are alot of good guys out there. I did a transfer for a MIL guy today. When he asked what the transfer fee was, I told him no fee for MIL guys so he spent about $300 on accessories.

For the life of me though, I can't find a distributor for Smith and Western revolvers......................

New one for me. I went to a gun store looking for a sear spring.

Counter guy: "What kind of gun?"

Me: "SVI 2011"

Him: "Never heard of that, is it European?" (understandable that he didn't know about SVI)

Me: "Nope, it is a high cap 1911"

Him: "High caps are silly, no reason to own one. What caliber?"

Me: ".38 Super Comp"

Him: " Do you mean .38 special?"

Me: "Nope, it is a rimless version of a .38 Super. It really doesn't matter, I just need a 1911 pattern sear spring"

Him: ".38 Super, what a waste... 9mm light- go get a .45"

Me: "Actually it is loaded up to .357 velocities."

Him: "You are going to blow that thing up, those guns aren't designed for that kind of power".

Me: "Got it... do you have a sear spring?"

Him: "Not for your gun."

Me: "how about for a regular old .45 1911?"

Him: "Well sure, but it won't work in your gun."

Me: "Fair enough, then I will put it in my .45 and use the one out of my .45 in my SVI- do you have the spring?"

Him: "Well okay, cause we don't take back used springs".

Me: "Understood, now can I please buy the spring?"

I was trying to be nice to the guy, but he made it so hard.

When I was working I would travel a lot for work. Iw as checking in at a lot of gun shops looking for primers. I would get this from 99% of the shops.

me: Hi, do you have any small rifle primers?

clerk: yes/no (it would go both ways)

me:cool/bummer

clerk: what are you loading for?

me: 38SC mostly and some 9mm and when I don't have small pistol primers

clerk: YOU CANT DO THAT

me: why

clerk: well it's not safe, you'll blow your gun up, you'll blow your hands off, you BETTER CHECK your pressure and on and on......and on

me: I use to explain now I just say thanks any way, unless they really seem like they could grasp it if I explain.

I don't understand this.

Maybe I should get a job behind the counter. :roflol:

al

Got it now.

al

"I watched the same gunsmith/shooter/salesman..."
Would it be at all possible to speak to the management about this tool-brain and relate these incidents (and any other you know about)...? It might save some lives.

He's a close personal friend of the owner......

New one for me. I went to a gun store looking for a sear spring.

Counter guy: "What kind of gun?"

Me: "SVI 2011"

Him: "Never heard of that, is it European?" (understandable that he didn't know about SVI)

Me: "Nope, it is a high cap 1911"

Him: "High caps are silly, no reason to own one. What caliber?"

Me: ".38 Super Comp"

Him: " Do you mean .38 special?"

Me: "Nope, it is a rimless version of a .38 Super. It really doesn't matter, I just need a 1911 pattern sear spring"

Him: ".38 Super, what a waste... 9mm light- go get a .45"

Me: "Actually it is loaded up to .357 velocities."

Him: "You are going to blow that thing up, those guns aren't designed for that kind of power".

Me: "Got it... do you have a sear spring?"

Him: "Not for your gun."

Me: "how about for a regular old .45 1911?"

Him: "Well sure, but it won't work in your gun."

Me: "Fair enough, then I will put it in my .45 and use the one out of my .45 in my SVI- do you have the spring?"

Him: "Well okay, cause we don't take back used springs".

Me: "Understood, now can I please buy the spring?"

I was trying to be nice to the guy, but he made it so hard.

That's the kind of people that you just want to take out of the gene pool, permanently.

..."Man the 50 BMG is such an awesome round and has so much energy the bullet does not even have to hit you. If it passes close enough to you it can take your arm off!'...

My Brother-in-law tried to tell me that BS about the 50 BMG not having to hit you. "Your head will explode from the pressure if it comes within 10 feet of you. Thats how military snipers are able to hip people from a mile away"...

I heard this same claim from some knucklehead at Cabela's... Where the heck did this one start?? Amazing how folks will repeat something so ridiculous like it's a fact just because they heard someone else say it.

..."Man the 50 BMG is such an awesome round and has so much energy the bullet does not even have to hit you. If it passes close enough to you it can take your arm off!'...

My Brother-in-law tried to tell me that BS about the 50 BMG not having to hit you. "Your head will explode from the pressure if it comes within 10 feet of you. Thats how military snipers are able to hip people from a mile away"...

I heard this same claim from some knucklehead at Cabela's... Where the heck did this one start?? Amazing how folks will repeat something so ridiculous like it's a fact just because they heard someone else say it.

I had a guy tell me that all a 50 had to do was hit you in the thumb and because it had so much energy, the shock wave would make your heart explode.

I asked why you wouldn't just aim for the heart in the first place. A thumb is such a small target. He just sat a stared. I guess the mall ninja handbook didn't have a comeback for that one.

Told to me today by a reliable source over the counter at the local indoor range: That a customer at certain gun shop establishment in Portland, Oregon inquired of the dude behind the counter there why the prices on their Remington rifles were about $250 more than anywhere else. The bozo behind the counter at the un-named gun shop in Portland told him, "Remington puts better steel in rifles made for [un-named gun shop in Portland] than other shops."

Wow. :rolleyes:

Well, according to the context in which the tale was told to me, the counter dude at this place in Portland was dead serious at the time... (otherwise, yes, it would've been funny.) :D

Did the description of the counter guy include "Brown" eyes? :devil:

Reading these has been a blast, but I have been working on keeping my mouth shut at the local stores. Sometimes it is hard when you are an instructor and active compeditor. Of course it does the self confidence (ego) good when the counter people turn to you and say, "Could YOU help them for me Will?" :sight:

Just this weekend I was shooting our indoor match and overheard an employee behind the counter say how hard it is to get a good trigger press on a Glock. He said "I always hit low, left, so I keep my sights set way right to keep it center mass" :surprise:

One of the other employees decided to shoot the match with us and said "oh, I don't want to embarras myself tonight". One of the regular shooters said "oh, just have fun". He said "yeah, but I work here. People look at me differently!" Trust me dude, the normal USPSA shooter might look at you differently, but he/she isn't expecting you to be a great shooter because you work in a gun store!

To cap it off, a young (early 20s) employee said "that's what I don't get about IPSC. It's supposed to be "practical". What's practical about that?"....as he pointed to my Open gun. I said "that's why we have multiple divisions. I shoot most of the divisions and I'm pretty good with a stock gun. I have the most fun with Open, but I've proven to my SWAT buddies that I can put hits on target just as fast with my Open gun as they can with their subguns." He said "yeah, it's the shooter, not the gun". :ph34r:

• 2 weeks later...

Not really a quote but I found this on Gunbroker today.

I might have to call and ask him who "Jim Mekulic" is, and why he got his own limited edition gun? I'm no rocket scientist, but I'm pretty sure if I was going to put my company name on a gunbroker listing that I'd be darn sure to get the correct information about the gun. B)