Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gun shop experts and their quotes

Sarge

I might have to call and ask him who "Jim Mekulic" is, and why he got his own limited edition gun? I'm no rocket scientist, but I'm pretty sure if I was going to put my company name on a gunbroker listing that I'd be darn sure to get the correct information about the gun. B)

Hooked On Phonics. :D

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember my local guy who I bought 3-4 handguns off of, a few ar15's and a shotgun told me the ammo he sells (ie: winchester, remington, AE, Federal) , was not the same as as they sell as Walmart (he said this actually to a customer who was in the store with me....LOL I guess he was getting desperate for sales.

I actually remember a place in around the Myrtle beach area (nice place though), where I took in my Limited Custom .40 and stock2 9mm, with my remanufactured ammo ( a federally approved ammo btw). The guy running the range section told me I could not use it, and would have to buy their ammo. Well I asked him to ask another guy who asked what it was, to whom I replied, " it is made by Combat Masters, an ammunition company in Canada,...they make it with Montana Gold bullets". The other guys says, (to my delight),..oh-ok,..Montana gold is good stuff; go ahead and shoot it. :devil:

SO I started to release a bit of tension (long drive from Canada), and starte doing some bill drills on the bad guy targets, frequently doing head shots, practicing my draw from a Bladtech holster..etc...After about 200-300 rds, of .40...the guy acting as the RO says,.."yeah. we got this here sport where we start shooting some targets here...(pointing at the left side of a 6 bay range) and then targets over here (pointing at the right side of the range) What we do is see who can shoot them better, and faster, and ya gotta keep going " :rolleyes: (ie: like a regular IPSC/USPSA/IDAP type stage.) In my ingorance, I automatically thought this guy would have heard of IPSC. USPSA, IDPA,.etc...

He said they offered training,..but more for self defence.

Edited by Mo Hepworth

I remember my local guy who I bought 3-4 handguns off of, a few ar15's and a shotgun told me the ammo he sells (ie: winchester, remington, AE, Federal) , was not the same as as they sell as Walmart (he said this actually to a customer who was in the store with me....LOL I guess he was getting desperate for sales.

I actually remember a place in around the Myrtle beach area (nice place though), where I took in my Limited Custom .40 and stock2 9mm, with my remanufactured ammo ( a federally approved ammo btw). The guy running the range section told me I could not use it, and would have to buy their ammo. Well I asked him to ask another guy who asked what it was, to whom I replied, " it is made by Combat Masters, an ammunition company in Canada,...they make it with Montana Gold bullets". The other guys says, (to my delight),..oh-ok,..Montana gold is good stuff; go ahead and shoot it. :devil:

SO I started to release a bit of tension (long drive from Canada), and starte doing some bill drills on the bad guy targets, frequently doing head shots, practicing my draw from a Bladtech holster..etc...After about 200-300 rds, of .40...the guy acting as the RO says,.."yeah. we got this here sport where we start shooting some targets here...(pointing at the left side of a 6 bay range) and then targets over here (pointing at the right side of the range) What we do is see who can shoot them better, and faster, and ya gotta keep going " :rolleyes: (ie: like a regular IPSC/USPSA/IDAP type stage.) In my ingorance, I automatically thought this guy would have heard of IPSC. USPSA, IDPA,.etc...

He said they offered training,..but more for self defence.

That reminds me...I was in a gun range in West Palm Beach, FL to shoot. Walked in there with my STI 38 Super, asked to use the range, they said sure, what kind of ammo do you want? Ammo? I brought my own. No sir, you can't shoot your own in here, we've had too many people blow up guns. I said ok then, how about 300 rounds of some 38 Super +P+ then? What's 38 Super? Is that like a faster 38 special? We have some 38 special +P, you want it? Shook my head and walked out....

That reminds me...I was in a gun range in West Palm Beach, FL to shoot. Walked in there with my STI 38 Super, asked to use the range, they said sure, what kind of ammo do you want? Ammo? I brought my own. No sir, you can't shoot your own in here, we've had too many people blow up guns. I said ok then, how about 300 rounds of some 38 Super +P+ then? What's 38 Super? Is that like a faster 38 special? We have some 38 special +P, you want it? Shook my head and walked out....

Take this as a dumb question from a foreigner.

Who the hell cares if some dumbass turns up with his ammo, his gun and nukes the gun, how does that make it the ranges problem?

I would say "oh dear (by which I mean tough shit), here is a brush and pan, you may want to back those off a little!"

Now to relate a story from the other side of the counter, this had me baffled for ages.

Guy comes in with the bolt jammed shut on his near new, now very second hand Ruger M77 in 7mm Rem Mag, after carefully inspecting the rifle we discovered a "crack" in the top of the chamber, "that's odd". Then to help us along he handed the floor plate and what was left of the follower and spring, the scope still in it's rings, "that's supposed to be inside the rifle" I says intelligently looking at a very unwell floor plate assembly, "and I am not supposed to be able to see between the left hand side of the reciever and the bolt".

He said I just fired it yesterday and it went bang, now I cant get the bolt out.

Further questioning illicited that fact that it was "X" brand of ammo. A packet he borrowed of his "freind", but the same as we normally use.

Does you freind reload? "No! he only buys factory ammo."

Did you have a misfire or squib in this rifle just before firing the failed round? "No first shot of the day"

By now we are assuming Mr "X" had a bad day at the factory.

Well that had us buggered. So off to gun smith.

Gunsmith called and asked me to drive over, that had me concerned, and bring a camera.

It turns out that by being really careful you can insert a 303 British into a 7mm Rem Mag chamber and fire it. Needless to say the gun was toast. But to cap it off when we contacted him, he wanted the action straightened and returned. Like hell I was doing that. We just told himthat the action had to be cut in half to get the bolt out and he would have to get a new one.

"I want a full report as to why this POS failed and I will be looking to get something sorted under the warrantee". He missed out. Luckily you can't sue down here for that type of event. Unfortunately he lived through that to breed and buy another gun.

Three months later he was back and complaining that the new gun did not shoot so good. So I took it to the range test fired it, produced a 1/2" group at 100M with his rifle as supplied (plus 3 hours cleaning). SAme scope that was spun off teh Ruger, hell that thing had some dings in it and it still kept going.

Names withheld to protect the stupid. But you now who you are.

ANd I have heard so,e dppsies out of a couple of my staff. Sometimes I just can't find the words when this happens.

Edited by gm iprod

Who the hell cares if some dumbass turns up with his ammo, his gun and nukes the gun, how does that make it the ranges problem?

At one such range I was told that they didn't want people reloading their own armor-piercing rounds that might damage their backstop. unsure.gif

Two reasons. I don't know about other countries, but certain parts of the US are very litigious. The other reason is gives the range a good excuse to sell ammo at inflated prices.

J-Ho.

Unfortunately you are right

The money side of it I get, just have two prices for range rental, one for those who just want range time, repeat customers?? and another for those that are just burning money. Either the customer likes it or not, his choice. If he stays you make money if he leaves you don't, you must surely want him to stay. Any money in is good money in this day and age. I can't see any advantage in letting a customer leave your premises with his money still in his pocket and a pissed off attitude.

Sign a fricking Waiver. I know the lawyers are burning your ass, but some personal responsibility is required.

J-Ho.

Unfortunately you are right

The money side of it I get, just have two prices for range rental, one for those who just want range time, repeat customers?? and another for those that are just burning money. Either the customer likes it or not, his choice. If he stays you make money if he leaves you don't, you must surely want him to stay. Any money in is good money in this day and age. I can't see any advantage in letting a customer leave your premises with his money still in his pocket and a pissed off attitude.

Sign a fricking Waiver. I know the lawyers are burning your ass, but some personal responsibility is required.

a local indoor place here does it the right way. Changes a flat rate for the whole day, and you can shoot reloads. He has rental guns but requires you to buy his ammo for the rentals. I think that is resonable. He also has memberships. Buy a membership and shoot whenever you want at no extra charge.

Sorry for the thread drift guys. Back to the regularly scheduled thread.

Bought a new 24" Linguini Launcher today. I looked on the rack and could only find 26". I asked the guy behind the counter if he could order a 21 or 24 inch gun for me. "Ohhhh you want a tactical home defense gun." he says. "You don't need that Benelli, it kicks like a mule. What you need is a good pump action like this 870." I tell the guy it is a competition gun and is just what I'm looking for. "Well we got some good over-unders over there." I turned and walked away. Found another guy and told him what I wanted. He told me he had some shotguns in the back and to wait just a minute. A few minutes later he came back with a 24" M2. I normally don't buy from here but had some gift certificates that needed spending.

• 4 weeks later...

I went to a fairly new gun store in my area today. I saw a Caspian Single Stack 45 with a four port comp and Bo mar sights. I thought that it was kind of neat (being for the old days), so I asked to see it.

While handling the weapon the store owner began to tell me the gun's history from across the room (so everyone could hear).

"That gun there is a real shooter! The man that built it for me could shoot a 12ga hull at 75 yards with it!"

I said at the same volume, "That doesn't impress me!"

The owner said, now with an audience, " He could shoot 5 out of 7 as fast as he could pull the trigger."

I replied "That doesn't impress me either." Now all the customers are listening in.

I said, "What impresses me is that he could see those hulls at 75 yards!" Everyone in the store laughed except the owner.

The gun was neat though.

I had a customer call once and ask about shooting on our indoor pistol range. The question was "Do I need a hunting license to shoot on your range?" My answer was "Well normally no, but if you plan on hanging bunnies by their ears on our target handlers then Yes." I'm a bit of a smarty at times but luckily for me she thought it was as funny as I did and we became great friends.

Edited by Claycogun

• 1 month later...

A couple weeks ago a buddy called and asked me to meet him at the range to show him how to operate his new pistol. He is a bouncer and under the direction of his boss had gotten the pistol to carry on the job. :unsure:

I asked what he bought and he said the guy at the store told him it was a Glock with a safety and he would need that if he was going to carry it. :blush: When we got to the range he pulled out a Ruger box holding a new SR9c.

I asked what he bought and he said the guy at the store told him it was a Glock with a safety and he would need that if he was going to carry it. :blush: When we got to the range he pulled out a Ruger box holding a new SR9c.

HA! Dude, they are both the same.

• 2 weeks later...

Said in a barber shop I was in, at 14, I'm now 47, and I still remember laughing out loud!

"You can shoot a guy in the arm with an M16 and it will kill him because the gun was designed to shoot a tumbling bullet. It turns end over end as it flies, that's why the army uses them. They're deadly."

I was told this in high school by my English Teacher :roflol:

OK, so this one's on me.

I'm in a local store a few years back needing primers and powder for .45 ACP. Asked for a couple of pounds on Unigue and the fellow at the counter happily handed them over and asked: "Do you need load data for that?" Nope, I said, I just fill 'em up to the top.

He tells me: "I'm gonna need to see some ID . . ."

This was at a local match, but it fits right in with this thread. "Glocks are designed so you clear a squib by just firing the next round. It was an Austrian Army requirement."

and these people, ladies and gentleman, walk among us everyday carrying guns.... :ph34r: