Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gun shop experts and their quotes

Sarge

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a good one a few weeks ago picking up some primers.

I went to the shop where I pick up my powder and primers (when there was a real shortage and primers were impossible to find) and asked if they had any small rifle or small pistol primers and go the usual "no" then the guy asked what I was loading for and I told him .38 Super (I don't get into the SC or TJ explanations, it's mostly a trap and skeet supplier) He said "oh well we have some Federal small pistol" I asked how many and he said several cases. "but nobody likes them because they are too sensitive so we don't really tell anyone we have them."

Lol

And you use the little "hook" on your flat spring to remove the mag release.

The other end will do the grip screws.

Actually, no. It's way too wide. In the original 1911 design, the "wide" slots on the grip screws (as opposed to the "narrow" slots, much less hexheads, we so see on so many 1911 grip screws today) were perfectly sized so that you could use the rim of a round of .45 ACP to remove the grip screws if that became necessary in the field. Okay, I find it hard to imagine a situation in which that would be necessary (and you trash the cartridge rim in the process - I say that as someone who's actually done it, just out of curiosity to see if it would actually work, and it did) but it just shows how seriously John Moses Browning and U.S. Army Ordnance took that whole "detail strip totally without tools" thing.

And you use the little "hook" on your flat spring to remove the mag release.

The other end will do the grip screws.

Actually, no. It's way too wide. In the original 1911 design, the "wide" slots on the grip screws (as opposed to the "narrow" slots, much less hexheads, we so see on so many 1911 grip screws today) were perfectly sized so that you could use the rim of a round of .45 ACP to remove the grip screws if that became necessary in the field. Okay, I find it hard to imagine a situation in which that would be necessary (and you trash the cartridge rim in the process - I say that as someone who's actually done it, just out of curiosity to see if it would actually work, and it did) but it just shows how seriously John Moses Browning and U.S. Army Ordnance took that whole "detail strip totally without tools" thing.

It will work, as a last resort.

"I was in a concealed carry class that was taught by a former LEO and current gun store owner where I was told .22LR was the best caliber for self defense."

:surprise:

Well, to be perfectly honest, I've seen dead people with .22LR holes in their heads/bodies, so... but...

But I'd rather throw .45ACP at the bad guy, actually. :devil:

"I was in a concealed carry class that was taught by a former LEO and current gun store owner where I was told .22LR was the best caliber for self defense."

Well, to be perfectly honest, I've seen dead people with .22LR holes in their heads/bodies, so... but...

Did he give an explanation?

cuz you can self defend yourself fivehundredandfifty times and only spend $14.95 B)

This was during the ammo shortages.

Marines asks do you have any 45acp ammo-

gunshop owner says i don't have any, but it you really need some I have some in the back for another customer but I have to sell it to you for $38.99 a box for winchester white box 230gr ball 50rds.

My customer wont pick it up for 2 days, so i can sell it to you for $38.99 a box of 50rds. And get more before he comes to pick up his ammo.

Marines looked at each other then bought 2 boxes.

Same sh!t from wal mart for like $17

Actually, no. It's way too wide. In the original 1911 design, the "wide" slots on the grip screws (as opposed to the "narrow" slots, much less hexheads, we so see on so many 1911 grip screws today) were perfectly sized so that you could use the rim of a round of .45 ACP to remove the grip screws if that became necessary in the field.

The lip at the front of the baseplate of the old GI mags was just the right thickness for the slot in grip screws of the era.

Said in a barber shop I was in, at 14, I'm now 47, and I still remember laughing out loud!

"You can shoot a guy in the arm with an M16 and it will kill him because the gun was designed to shoot a tumbling bullet. It turns end over end as it flies, that's why the army uses them. They're deadly."

I was told this in high school by my English Teacher :roflol:

That's why the VC would wrap themselves in duct tape.The tape would prevent the tumbling bullets from penetrating the skin.Heard that in addition to the tumbling bullet story

I heard a guy working behind the desk of my local gun shop tell some guy that the rock island 1911's slide was made out of carbon fiber....

Probably meant carbon steel, but who can tell the difference? :roflol:

Hey was actually telling the customer the barrel was made of "plastic"... and how amazed he was that it felt so much like steel.

Edited by BoldasLions

"That competition stuff will get you killed"

an ya know, I feel much safer doing USPSA with an RO and me being the only one shooting on that bay than anytime with some of the yahoos that come out to the range just to shoot.

an ya know, I feel much safer doing USPSA with an RO and me being the only one shooting on that bay than anytime with some of the yahoos that come out to the range just to shoot.

Amen brother :)

Well I've seen .223 work plenty, and I don't want to get shot by anything, but my rule when my life depends on it is and always has been, I want the biggest thing I can get my hands on. His explanation was that he had a, "really nice p22 with a laser sight, and its much cheaper to buy/shoot than most guns"

Amen brother :)

You mean that guy with the weight lifting gloves on and the hi-point he's flagged you with 10 times because he can't figure out to take the safety off before racking the slide?

YES!!! That exact guy, he must really get around alot!!! Does he tell you about how awesome his Hi-Point is and that it's just as accurate and reliable as the "overpriced Glocks, Springfields and S&W's". Or, while overhearing you're conversation with someone else regarding a certain Browning firearm, interrupts with "It's HI-POINT, not HI-POWER. And Browning doesn't make it, they only make shotguns. "