Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gun shop experts and their quotes

Sarge

"You see this bullet here with the shiny case (nickel), I put it in the clip first so when I see it flip out of the gun I know it's time to reload.

I think I have heard that before at one of local matches.......... :roflol:

Can I use that a a local match? :ph34r:

I was in Walmart.

The Man is in his 50's

Clerk is 20's

Man to clerk; I need some pistol bullits.

Clerk; What caliber Sir?

Man; I don't know PISTOL caliber.

Clerk; there are many calibers Sir.

Man; Just sell me some, I will take them home and if they do not fit I will bring them back to exchange.

Clerk; Sir there is no return on ammo.

Man; That's stupid, what if you get the wrong size.

I told the clerk not to sell him any ammo no matter what.

The man gives me a dirty look and leaves.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I’m sitting at my desk and it’s the usual payday Fri phone calls . . . all of the people who can’t seem to grasp the concept of push “5” for Firearms Training & “0” for Human Resources & Payroll, we get this call. . From one of our states shining examples of an armed security officer. . .

”do you be having them things you put in the guns?” . . . .

I’m sorry sir . . . what things are you talking about? Fixed ammunition cartridges? Cleaning rods? Lubricating Oils? . .

NO! You know the things you be putting in the gun sos I’s can shoot people?

Sir did you mean the ammunition? (Silence). . . .You know bullets? . . .

Ya them be it . . . do yous got them? . . .

Yes, We carry a full range of Range and Duty ammo, what are you looking for?

Umm the ones that goes in my gun!!!! . . .

Well sir I will need to know the caliber of the firearm so I can tell you if I have that ammunition in stock. . Or I will need to know what the make and model of the gun . . . .

Look it’s mine I didn’t seal it or nuthn I owns it an I aint lookin for questions I jes what them things you be putting in it to shoot!!! . . . .

ok at this point the funny has gone out of this conversation as one of my personal directives is not to enable stupid people or to encourage them to thin out the gene pool (while personally entertaining . . .too much civil liability). . .so I transferred him up to HR . . .maybe they could help . . . they did hire him after all!

• 5 weeks later...

I shoot one of those "not sanctioned by anybody but us" matches at a local indoor range. The match is designed to give CCW carriers some live-fire trigger time. Several of the shop/range employees shoot the match as well.

Most folks shoot factory ammo or load for polymer guns. I have a high-cap 1911-style that likes longer ammo.

One of the range employees helped pick up my mags the other night, looked at the rounds in the mag and made some comment about "they must shoot soft".

Well, they do. But I wondered what made him mention that ....

He thought that, because they were so much longer than factory rounds, they must be real powder puffs ... ;)

Gave him a short tutorial on "PF 170/Major"; not sure he got that. We just left it as one of those "competition modifications" that the sole USPSA shooter plays with ....

I get the same crap from one local dealer.

Every time I try to buy a certain powder it's"what do you want that for" then "well my pistol shooters use this" or this is the best bullet.

I have come close to biting my tongue in half waiting for him to finish blowing smoke while he writes the ticket.

I would never go there if it didn't cost the hazmat fee to ship a pound to try it out.

Mildot

Here is a reverse version of the topic:

Customer: I want to buy a shotgun for home defense.

Clerk: Well, I have a good lightly used short barrel pump if you'd like to look at that.

Customer: No, I want a new one and I want an automatic. Something that shoots real fast.

Clerk: Well, that's going to be more difficult because we don't have any short barreled semi-auto shotguns.

Customer: Can you order one for me.

Clerk: I'll have to check and see what I can find.

Customer: While you're looking, see if you can find one with sights, most of the ones I've seen just have a puny little gold bead. And I want one with one of those things on the end of the barrel with the vents in it.

Clerk: You mean a compensator?

Customer: Yah, I have a friend who works for some defense contractor and he told me that's what I should get - a semi-automatic gun with a compensator.

Clerk: Did he tell you to get a shotgun?

Customer: No, he was talking about a pistol but I don't like pistols, I want a shotgun.

That's when I left...

"You see this bullet here with the shiny case (nickel), I put it in the clip first so when I see it flip out of the gun I know it's time to reload.

I think I have heard that before at one of local matches.......... :roflol:

Can I use that a a local match? :ph34r:

I was in Walmart.

The Man is in his 50's

Clerk is 20's

Man to clerk; I need some pistol bullits.

Clerk; What caliber Sir?

Man; I don't know PISTOL caliber.

Clerk; there are many calibers Sir.

Man; Just sell me some, I will take them home and if they do not fit I will bring them back to exchange.

Clerk; Sir there is no return on ammo.

Man; That's stupid, what if you get the wrong size.

I told the clerk not to sell him any ammo no matter what.

The man gives me a dirty look and leaves.

Darn Tim... you should have called me we could have had so much FUN with that guy.... :roflol:

• 4 weeks later...

so a guy walks up to the counter and tells the clerk that he has quite a bit of experience shooting revolvers but has never owned a semi auto and wanted to buy one. the clerk takes him to the counter with glocks in it. OK not a bad choice at all. The customer sounds fairly knowledgeable about revolvers and reloading, albeit just for his guns. He asked the clerk about reloading for the glock. The clerk proceeds to tell him it is a really bad idea. "No semi auto will function reliably with reloads"

so a guy walks up to the counter and tells the clerk that he has quite a bit of experience shooting revolvers but has never owned a semi auto and wanted to buy one. the clerk takes him to the counter with glocks in it. OK not a bad choice at all. The customer sounds fairly knowledgeable about revolvers and reloading, albeit just for his guns. He asked the clerk about reloading for the glock. The clerk proceeds to tell him it is a really bad idea. "No semi auto will function reliably with reloads"

yeah, maybe with HIS reloads. lol :roflol:

Edited by jkatz44

• 2 weeks later...

Several weeks after purchasing a small .22 auto pistol, an elderly gentleman returned to the Sun State Gun and Knife Exchange in Bradenton, Fla., and asked to speak with Bob Lechner. Bob stepped up to the counter and asked the old fellow what he needed. The customer brought the small pistol out of its box and said, "When I bought this gun, you told me that all I had to do was cock the hammer, and then every time I pulled the trigger, the gun would cock itself. Right?" "That's right," Bob explained, "the slide brings the hammer back when you pull the trigger." "Well, than there's something wrong with this gun, because I have to pull back the hammer every time." Bob took the gun, examined it closely, but couldn't find any malfunction in its operation. Finally Bob suggested they walk next door to the firing range and test the pistol; as he was reaching for a box of .22 ammunition, the customer said: "What's that?" "Ammunition," Bob said. "If we're going to test fire the gun, we have to load it first." Suddenly a light of understanding flickered in the customer's eyes. "You mean, you have to put bullets in the gun to make it work?"

A young customer came into Paul's Pawn Shop in Longview, Texas, and asked Kerry Baxter for some help selecting a pocket-sized self-defense pistol. Kerry showed him several guns, explaining how they worked and comparing their various features, but the customer still couldn't make up his mind. After asking several questions, the customer finally said, "Well, if you were going to get shot, which gun would you want to be shot with?" All things considered, maybe a water gun?

One morning the phone rang at Great Western Outfitters in Ridgecrest, Calif., and Bobby Kinstle picked it up. "Can I help you?" he asked. "Yes," said a fellow on the other end, "I understand you're having a sale on your riot shotguns, but I don't quite understand. Is a riot shotgun a pistol or a revolver?" Bobby answered, "Most riot shotguns operate with a pump action." "Umm ... so what caliber is it?" "Shotguns aren't classified by caliber. They are grouped in gauges." "Okay, what size bullet does it shoot?" "A shotgun doesn't fire a bullet, it fires a charge of shot." After a moment of confused silence, the customer asked again: "So, is it a pistol or a revolver?" Bobby, said, "It's like a rifle, not a handgun, and it's got a big hole in the end that shoots lots of small bullets all at once instead of just one big bullet." "Hey, that sounds great," the customer said. "I'll come right in." Sometimes the simplest explanations work the best.

One afternoon in Mesa, Ariz., a couple walked into Aussie G Products, stepped up to the rifle counter, and the fellow asked Mr. Wyatt for some advice regarding a hunting rifle for deer, elk, and similar big game. Mr. Wyatt brought several products down off the rack along with a dummy cartridge and began to explain the operation of the guns to the man. During this discussion, the woman stood beside the man -- obviously her husband -- with a sour and impatient expression on her face. When Mr. Wyatt was done showing the customer how to load the magazine and operate the gun, the wife finally spoke up. "Are you trying to tell me that this is the bullet for this gun?" she said grasping the rifle barrel and dummy cartridge out of her husband's hand. "Yes," Wyatt said. "This is a mock-up of a .270 Winchester cartridge and it's made to function in a .270 rifle like this one." With a snort, the woman dropped the gun on the counter, clutched her husband's elbow, and shoved him toward the door. As they were making their hasty exit, she said loudly, "He must think I'm a fool if I believe that big bullet is going to fit down that little, tiny hole." All the fellow could say was, "Y-Y-Yes, dear!"

With a wife like that, who needs a gun?

When I was working I would travel a lot for work. Iw as checking in at a lot of gun shops looking for primers. I would get this from 99% of the shops.

me: Hi, do you have any small rifle primers?

clerk: yes/no (it would go both ways)

me:cool/bummer

clerk: what are you loading for?

me: 38SC mostly and some 9mm and when I don't have small pistol primers

clerk: YOU CANT DO THAT

me: why

clerk: well it's not safe, you'll blow your gun up, you'll blow your hands off, you BETTER CHECK your pressure and on and on......and on

me: I use to explain now I just say thanks any way, unless they really seem like they could grasp it if I explain.

OK got a good one.

At a local store today, largest in Charlotte, NC. Asked the "smith" there if I could run a longer loaded 40 in one of the 10MM glocks.

He said "Why would you want to load a 40 Long? I mean if there was any pereformance gained by that don't you think the major ammo manufacturers would have that?"

I said ever heard of Atlanta Arms? They have a 40L major load.

"Nope can't say that I have. Are they in GA?"

Left as quickly as possible.

That had to be "woody"

he is some talented guy! :roflol:

the guy at the local gun store told some friends that a Springfield loaded 1911. would not hold up for competition,

when my friend asked me what I shot I said a springfield loaded for over 50000 rounds through it

Soooooo glad i found this thread, haha. It has truly made my day at work much much easier. Everyone thinks im weird tho b/c im busting out laughin at random intervals, haha.

I actually dont have any stories to add tho :( maybe i need to go to my local places and just stand in the corner with a tape recorder, lol

This happened to me at a local gunshop/ indoor range. A friend of mine had just purchaced a new Glock 26, she was shooting and every round was hitting 4 inches to the left at ten yards, I shot the gun and the same thing was happening to me. So I went to the front counter to ask if they had a rear sight adjustment tool for a Glock.

Me: Do you have a rear sight adjustment tool for a Glock?

Counter: What do you need that for?

Me: I need to adjust my friends rear sight, the gun is shooting to the left.

Counter: Glock rear sight adjustment tools are only for removing the rear sights. :wacko:

Me: :mellow: It is called a rear adjustment tool because it is made to adjust the rear sight, duh! :angry2:

Counter: You are wrong sir, all Glocks shoot to the left, you need to just aim more to the right. :wacko:

Me: :mellow: You have no idea what you are talking about. :angry2: You actually give advise to new gun owners, God help us.

I have never been there since.

In a local shop last week looking for Varget or 4064 for my new AR-10 in .308. The dealer had both and then tried to sell me a new powder IMR 8208 XBR. I asked if he had any data for it. "Nope, but it's a great powder!" Now it may be a great powder, but I'll wait for some reloading data.

This happened to me at a local gunshop/ indoor range. A friend of mine had just purchaced a new Glock 26, she was shooting and every round was hitting 4 inches to the left at ten yards, I shot the gun and the same thing was happening to me. So I went to the front counter to ask if they had a rear sight adjustment tool for a Glock.

Me: Do you have a rear sight adjustment tool for a Glock?

Counter: What do you need that for?

Me: I need to adjust my friends rear sight, the gun is shooting to the left.

Counter: Glock rear sight adjustment tools are only for removing the rear sights. :wacko:

Me: :mellow: It is called a rear adjustment tool because it is made to adjust the rear sight, duh! :angry2:

Counter: You are wrong sir, all Glocks shoot to the left, you need to just aim more to the right. :wacko:

Me: :mellow: You have no idea what you are talking about. :angry2: You actually give advise to new gun owners, God help us.

I have never been there since.

mine must be broken then :roflol:

In a local shop last week looking for Varget or 4064 for my new AR-10 in .308. The dealer had both and then tried to sell me a new powder IMR 8208 XBR. I asked if he had any data for it. "Nope, but it's a great powder!" Now it may be a great powder, but I'll wait for some reloading data.

That is plain dumb. I work in a gunshop and I have heard some crackers.

When I was working I would travel a lot for work. Iw as checking in at a lot of gun shops looking for primers. I would get this from 99% of the shops.

me: Hi, do you have any small rifle primers?

clerk: yes/no (it would go both ways)

me:cool/bummer

clerk: what are you loading for?

me: 38SC mostly and some 9mm and when I don't have small pistol primers

clerk: YOU CANT DO THAT

me: why

clerk: well it's not safe, you'll blow your gun up, you'll blow your hands off, you BETTER CHECK your pressure and on and on......and on

me: I use to explain now I just say thanks any way, unless they really seem like they could grasp it if I explain.

I don't understand this.

Maybe I should get a job behind the counter. :roflol:

al