Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is shooting Limited still cool?

ajewell93

I’ve been out of practical shooting for a few years now but I’m looking get back in. I’ve always been a fan of limited blasters but it seems like in the forums all the talk is CO and production. Before I commit myself to a limited rig, is it still a popular class? I know these things vary from club to club but I’m curious to hear everyone’s thoughts. I’m located in Northern Ohio. 

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes 😎 It's kinda regional. according to the activity results it's the second most shot division. I just don't know where

https://www.reddit.com/r/USPSA/comments/xde0si/breakdown_of_uspsa_activity_in_2022/

I shoot either Limited or Production, but seldom see more than 10 others in a match and even that many is rare.

Edited by Artemas

One of the neat things about uspsa is you can compete against yourself. I shoot limited and don't care what anyone else shoots. Major PF is a huge advantage as well and it's just fun not having to aim at poppers or make sure they go down, if it dings it dies just keep going. Stages that have good flow with medium distance targets you can beat everyone with raw speed and not worry about the A zone. 

In most places carry optics is the hotness. Limited optics is hopefully coming about soon though. Limited is always fun, but it sure seems to be on the decline.

My suggestion is just take the gun you have go to a couple of the matches you want to shoot, shoot them in the division that it fits and get a feel for what's going on in your area. But across the Nation there's really no question about what the biggest division is and that's carryops

I also took a break for all of about 2 years and then when I came back to the sport I realized Limited was declining. 

I then took the better part of 1 year off due to work, and when I returned to the sport I bought a whole Carry Ops setup and I gotta admit I’m a huge fan. 

never gonna sell my limited gun though. 

Since you’re in Ohio, here are some actual numbers for major matches in Limited:

2022 Buckeye Blast Championship

31/230 or 13.5% 3rd overall after CO and Open

2023 Buckeye Blast Championship

36/271 or 13.3% 3rd overall after CO and Open (based on current registrations)

I don't get the I don't have anyone to compete against complaint.  I just don't care what anyone else shoots.  ALL I care about is how high on the Combined list I place.   If I could still see iron sights, I'd still be shooting Limited.  I'd shoot it even if I was the last person on earth doing so.

OP, if you like Limited guns, go for it.  Don't even consider changing to 9mm later.  40sw minor is way softer and quieter than 9mm.  I shot 40 major for USPSA and 40 minor for plates, steel, pins and everything else.

7 hours ago, Ssanders224 said:

Limited will ALWAYS be the coolest. 

I think CO is the new hotness, and lots of people are getting CO rigs and trying it out. Just like PCC tho, some of those people will either eventually decide it's annoying to be in a division where the shooting is so easy (so they have to do everything else much faster), or they will just alternate years or something. I enjoy CO, and shot it for half of last year, including nationals and our section match, but I still really like limited, and might as well shoot it while I can still see, so I switched back to Limited for 2023 and plan to shoot it until I get tired of it, but at least through A1 in july.

It does add some enjoyment for me to have other shooters in the division near my own level, and I am fortunate to hear to have a couple pretty solid limited shooters to squad with and learn from (one of whom tried CO but also came back to Lim). Hopefully the three of us will encourage some others. I talked to an M open shooter today who is planning to build up another limited gun for a change of pace after not shooting the division for a couple years.

I started in Production, then after a few seasons moved to Limited (major), stayed there until last season, then shot CO with an S2.  Thoroughly enjoyed all 3 divisions….on the fence about possibly going back to Limited this season ……it’s all good 😊!

At yesterday's local.

19 CO

16 Limited

10 Open

It was a small match with 48 shooters, but this has been a common trend where I live of late. In the last 6 months I've seen the Limited numbers steadily increase. Some are new or not super serious shooters. A number are more involved and moving from CO after a year or two there. Looking at the comments above I believe CO was "the new hotness" two years ago, but now I'm seeing people cycle to other guns. CO is still "the" division without question, but I'm Interested if any of you out there see the same trend?

Carry optics is becoming cooler than Limited in the same way that 

Being a sensitive guy with soft hands is becoming cooler than being John Wayne.  

I don't know that I want to be cool, but I do want to compete with the heat.  It's just too bad it'll need to be with 9 sillymeter.  I'm getting one of my pistols milled for an RDS right now, but I don't know if I'll ever be motivated to learn to shoot a dot. I really hate 9mm, the soft recoil, the little baby bullets.  It's not part of that adrenaline rush ideal that I got into USPSA for years ago.  

Edited by obsessiveshooter

I still think its cool but USPSA is notorious for f*#king up its own amateur sport by doing wholesale rule changes that impact divisions and multi thousands of dollars that people have invested into it.  USPSA killed production and limited when they allowed CO to have 140mm mags and not match production optics from IPSC.  It allowed for cheap guns to shoot hicap with a dot.  

Limited will probably remain the 3rd biggest division at most majors but it will substantially smaller than open or CO.  

The real issue is whether or not USPSA will approve limited optics in some fashion... I'm predicting when they do this either by absorbing 2011s into CO or making their own division that limited will be 100% dead.  

Edited by mikeg1005

12 minutes ago, mikeg1005 said:

The real issue is whether or not USPSA will approve limited optics in some fashion... I'm predicting when they do this either by absorbing 2011s into CO or making their own division that limited will be 100% dead.  

I know that LO (if it's minor only) will have no effect whatsoever on whether I shoot limited, and I don't think it will have any effect on my 2 closest local competitors.  I will probably just ignore the division and continue to shoot limited most of the time, and CO for a few months when I feel like it.

Unless you're getting paid, my humble opinion is to shoot what you want. If you're spending money on gear and time in the sport, it should be your decision. I started in the sport 14 months ago in CO. I hit my goals in that division, then switched to Open. I want to get good with irons, simply for the different challenges it offers, so I got a Limited set up to go play in that division sometime later this year. So my view is to decide what matters to you, and participate in the sport accordingly. If you want to play in the most popular division simply to see how you place relative to your local participants, then Carry Optics is the way. If you were and are into Limited, then that's the way.

Have fun and welcome back to the sport!

43 minutes ago, motosapiens said:

I know that LO (if it's minor only) will have no effect whatsoever on whether I shoot limited, and I don't think it will have any effect on my 2 closest local competitors.  I will probably just ignore the division and continue to shoot limited most of the time, and CO for a few months when I feel like it.

CO has already caused issues for limited... creating a division where you can shoot limited guns with a dot and not go into open will finish it.

It might not be an immediate thing but overtime people will opt for LO since people like 9mm and dots over 40 cal and irons.