Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2023 CO and Iron Sight Nationals

On 10/7/2023 at 4:42 PM, shred said:

Sounds great for an iron-sight match

I for one had a fantastic time at formerly iron sight Nationals. 

For everyone complaining that PCC would change stage designs, it turns out Carry Optics + magwell was what actually changed Nationals stages. Yes, FIS Nats was harder than PCC/Open. 

This was a fantastically fun match for 19 out of 21 stages. The Bill drill should have remained a side stage and the cop qual range stage wasted 300+ peoples time and ammo. 

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, rowdyb said:

If you weren't here, you wouldn't understand. 

could be could be,, I am sure some videos will be out and about soon.
Good to see you made it though,, know you had some difficulties lately just from following along on the threads...  Think we are all getting older.. 

Mikayla Hill broke down the target difficulties we saw over on Instagram.

This years Iron + Limited Optics Nationals was just under 450 rounds consisting of:

Over 10 targets at 30+ yards (furthest at 35)

Over 50 targets at 20+ yards (majority at 25)

Over 80 partial targets, many being tight turtle head shots, skunks, or half black turtle targets

10 moving targets. Unless you count the visual start stage then add 9 more moving target reveals ( 3 targets, 3 strings)

Over 40 mini poppers, and not a single big popper.

Over 75 targets between 15-20 yards

And roughly 75 targets inside 12 yards, of which only 15 were wide open targets that let you move while shooting with little to no risk.

Definitely a challenging match!

5 minutes ago, Racinready300ex said:

Weren't we just talking on here about how the shooting isn't nearly as hard as it used to be? They must of heard us as even old timers are saying that was the hardest match they've ever shot. 

I have been reading about some of the shooting challenges in that latest nationals on this forum and was thinking the exact same thing.  

Curious for certain.   

26 minutes ago, RJH said:

A LOT of misses when you get down a little ways. 

Maybe the goal was to keep Iron sight shooters out of Nationals next year🤣🤣

I imagine next year there will be way less iron sight shooters at Nat's. LO is growing fast, and it's basically going to be another shot at a National title for all the CO guys who shot their Nationals several months before. 

A couple friends that have shot the last couple Nat's at that range said they don't plan to go back to Nationals when it's there. They felt the stages have been kind of trash every time.

Most guys liked our Area match better than Nat's. 

43 minutes ago, Racinready300ex said:

I imagine next year there will be way less iron sight shooters at Nat's. LO is growing fast, and it's basically going to be another shot at a National title for all the CO guys who shot their Nationals several months before. 

A couple friends that have shot the last couple Nat's at that range said they don't plan to go back to Nationals when it's there. They felt the stages have been kind of trash every time.

Most guys liked our Area match better than Nat's. 

I'm glad I went. It was in my backyard, I got in when the slots were added. It was definitely challenging. And I'm glad I had a dot and a solid zero.

2 hours ago, Effectus Magis Per Minor said:

This was my first nationals and I had a great time. Definitely challenging stages for single stack major!

It was my second but it's nice to meet the other single stack shooter that was there...lol

Yeah it was rough finding the 8 or less array in some areas and some of the long shots where a bit rough further down, but I'd do it again.

10 hours ago, Effectus Magis Per Minor said:

This was my first nationals and I had a great time. Definitely challenging stages for single stack major!

Same for me, first Nats and I had a blast. I shot LO, on the second day I was like "damn, I'm glad I have a dot". 

Edited by RobW

On 10/10/2023 at 4:15 PM, Racinready300ex said:

Weren't we just talking on here about how the shooting isn't nearly as hard as it used to be? They must of heard us as even old timers are saying that was the hardest match they've ever shot. 

My part of the discussion- that scoring favors Speed over Accuracy- touched on this.   This nationals certainly seemed to be a different test than the locals I see.   

That leads me to another aspect of change= good or bad I dont know, just change.   I looked at the Indiana sectional match book someone posted a link to.   About half of the stages were 32 rounds (minumum) and one was 33(?).   Stage design like this involves lots of movement, and therefore time, thus weighting that part of the game.

Where we do not have the IPSC 3-2-1 stage mix requirement we have gravitated to lots of shots (which is fun for sure.)  Should Match directors be encouraged to have more Speed Shoots and Short Courses?  Do those balance the movement part of the "speed" variable?   They count for less points overall as well so they have lots of weight in the overall too.

Just a thought, but I think this has been evolving over time and now is the norm.

1 hour ago, THS said:

Why we do not have the IPSC 3-2-1 stage mix requirement we have gravitated to lots of shots (which is fun for sure.)

The emphasis for most clubs is round-count, they are appealing to the most common shooter in the sport, the hobbyist who just want to have fun.

The 3-2-1 ratio provides a more balanced test, it favors shooting skills over movement skills. Make a mistake on a short course and you can't make it up with foot speed.

1 hour ago, THS said:

My part of the discussion- that scoring favors Speed over Accuracy- touched on this.   This nationals certainly seemed to be a different test than the locals I see.   

That leads me to another aspect of change= good or bad I dont know, just change.   I looked at the Indiana sectional match book someone posted a link to.   About half of the stages were 32 rounds (minumum) and one was 33(?).   Stage design like this involves lots of movement, and therefore time, thus weighting that part of the game.

Where we do not have the IPSC 3-2-1 stage mix requirement we have gravitated to lots of shots (which is fun for sure.)  Should Match directors be encouraged to have more Speed Shoots and Short Courses?  Do those balance the movement part of the "speed" variable?   They count for less points overall as well so they have lots of weight in the overall too.

Just a thought, but I think this has been evolving over time and now is the norm.

You're kinda local to me....I think what Keanu has been doing with the MD state is great. Matches are challenging but not so difficult they sap the fun out of it. And the mix of more smaller stages I think makes a better match. 

As a match director  it's often tough to balance out match so you don't have a full squad waiting at a large feild courses that follows a much shorter course. Sometimes I'll do 2 8 -12 rd courses on one pit, that normally balances out with a 32 rd on next pit.

The 18 rd medium ones can be a problem by end of the day.

It's not that tests were too hard, but that they were far too similar and too numerous. 

Was on time, flowed well, easy parking, no popper issues. But dang if yiu didn't go from stage to stage going "this again?"

The bullet traps did not do enough to mitigate the bays with non shootable side berms imho. 

On 10/12/2023 at 11:01 AM, BritinUSA said:

The emphasis for most clubs is round-count, they are appealing to the most common shooter in the sport, the hobbyist who just want to have fun.

i have not observed that at any of the clubs where I shoot. What uspsa clubs have you shot at recently that emphasized round-count?