Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2023 CO and Iron Sight Nationals

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, rowdyb said:

So what happens if a competitor at Nats misses a bullet trap?

I'm sure this problem is being thought through and worked out.

It sure would be a shame if people stayed away from Nationals at a location that is probably the closest it has ever been to the majority of the population due to idle speculation.

I've shot too many level 2 matches at goofy ranges. What works for a great bay for shooting on a line is not the same as a great bay for shooting a uspsa stage.

Also, if you look at a map the majority of the US population lives on the coasts, not in the middle. Middle of nowhere is not the same as equidistant to the large population centers. And that's why I ask a question or two, so I can get a real answer and don't have to make a guess or supposition.

I've shot matches, local to national in 14 different states across the entire country, so I'm not asking from an experience base of  locals in my town only. I've also worked and trained at facilities with the movable bullet traps and I don't see them as a viable answer for allowing a more typical uspsa stage design in that style of bay. Why are so many ranges built with something other than dirt berms for the sidewalls? Because it is easier and cheaper.

13 hours ago, Johnny_Chimpo said:

I'm sure this problem is being thought through and worked out.

It sure would be a shame if people stayed away from Nationals at a location that is probably the closest it has ever been to the majority of the population due to idle speculation.

Jose, I figure if people don't come for whatever reason they come up with, more slots for us! CO is hot in Ohio now, between us and the folks from KY, PA, MI that fill our locals every week, we'll have a great match. 

5 hours ago, OPENB said:

Jose, I figure if people don't come for whatever reason they come up with, more slots for us! CO is hot in Ohio now, between us and the folks from KY, PA, MI that fill our locals every week, we'll have a great match. 

You're absolutely right, CO has exploded in Area 5 over the last 2 years.  I have no concern that Dan will fill the match quickly.

But for the geography challenged, Columbus has direct flights from all the major cities along the east coast and many of the mountain and west cost cities.  An 8 hr driving radius puts it in range of all of Pennsylvania, Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, Michigan, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Tennessee, western NY, half of Ontario, southern Wisconsin, eastern Iowa, eastern Missouri, and western North Carolina.  Make it a 10 hr drive and now you're reaching as far as Atlanta, NYC, KC, and almost Boston if you push it.

Yeah, middle of nowhere........LOL

• 3 weeks later...

I do think it's good to put the iron sights Nationals by themselves and not couple them to a dot Nationals. That way when people set the stages they're setting them for iron sights, instead of for dots. There's a pretty interesting podcast with  Cha-lee on there and he discusses some of that stuff,at least in a roundabout manner

2 hours ago, obsessiveshooter said:

My mother lives 1.5 hrs south of this range, so I could shoot this match and commute, and get a visit in.  I've never shot a USPSA match in Ohio where I grew up, so that would be cool too.  I have to say though, it does seem like an Also Ran National, like Climbhard wrote.  

hmm. I shot both CO nats and classic (singlestack) nationals this year, and didn't notice much of a difference. both had lots of mid-range shots (8-15 yards) and a handful of longer distance shots.

12 minutes ago, Climbhard said:

Bummer for those that would want to shoot both Ltd and SS Nats.

I don't really see a problem with people needing to pick the division they like and commit to it. Getting one shot to do well and succeeding to me is more impressive then shooting 4 or 5 "nationals" in a year. 

6 minutes ago, Racinready300ex said:

I don't really see a problem with people needing to pick the division they like and commit to it. Getting one shot to do well and succeeding to me is more impressive then shooting 4 or 5 "nationals" in a year. 

probably catering to corporations and their sponsored  shooters, 

• 3 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, llamasabound said:

The 18 stages currently listed for CO and Iron Sighted nationals is a hedge since the bays aren’t done, right? Someone in the Ohio know please talk me down here, because I can’t imagine HQ would look at the experience of Talladega and think, “let’s do that, but smaller.”

Where are you finding those?

1 hour ago, GigG said:

Where are you finding those?

They're in the match info card you get when you click on an entry in the USPSA.org match list.

That said, all three 2023 nationals are listed as 18 stages, 350 rounds, so they could be placeholder numbers.

7 hours ago, llamasabound said:

The 18 stages currently listed for CO and Iron Sighted nationals is a hedge since the bays aren’t done, right? Someone in the Ohio know please talk me down here, because I can’t imagine HQ would look at the experience of Talladega and think, “let’s do that, but smaller.”

WTF......

@IL-SIG

• 2 weeks later...

CMP (a very nice range) has a total of 15 pistol bays. 

Cardinal Shooting Center has 22 pistol bays (including 10 that are 50+ yards deep), plus another 8-10 small bays for function fire, vendors, etc.