Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

FORUM LIFE - ALL MEMBERS AND GUESTS, PLEASE READ!

GrumpyOne

Several months ago, Brian let the moderator group know that he would be turning off the forum, 100%, in August of this year. This was due to his being retired and no longer wishing to deal with the hassles of running the forum, and him wanting to enjoy his retirement. Who can blame him?

With that being said, we (the moderator group) took it like an unexpected gut punch, but, it set certain things in motion. None of us (the mods) wanted to lose this place, as I'm sure most of you do not want to lose it either. After talking to Brian, he agreed to let us (the moderators) take over all aspects of the forum instead of shutting it down...running of the forum, dealing with IT for the forum, paying the hosting for the forum, the whole thing. So, for the past several months, we have been working behind the scenes, trying to figure out exactly what we needed to do to keep this fantastic forum alive and viable.

Several weeks back, the transfer of the forum ownership from Brian to us was completed, so we had to change a few things. We had to change payment methods for donations and Dealer forums, set up accounts for those monies to go into, set up auto pay of the forum hosting, and integrate all of that into the forum. All of that should be complete now.

Right now, we are not anticipating any major changes to the way the forum operates or any change to any rules...We want to keep this place almost exactly as is. All current forum guidelines and rules will remain in effect, as if nothing has changed.

That being said, the forum hosting costs are now on us to pay...So, there may be some slight changes to the forum to help pay the costs. Some of you may have noticed the new banner ads at the top of the forum. These were a test run using our dealer forums for the "client", to see if it would work, and to gather raw data as to how many views and clicks they would get. We are considering running several ads (along with the current dealer ads) to get some income to help pay for the forum. We are NOT looking to spam the site with hundreds of ads, merely enough to help cover the cost of hosting. We are NOT looking to make any money off of this.

This will always be Brian's forum, even if we are doing the daily grunt work of keeping it going. That will never change. We will keep his core values and principles like we have always done.

We sincerely hope for and encourage his continuing participation. Hell, he might even learn to enjoy an occasional visit as a guest, without the headaches of running the forum.

Brian, we all wish you a long and happy retirement. You cannot possibly imagine the vast number of lives you have touched and changed with the forum you created, and we will forever be in your debt for it. Thank you seems like too little to say.

Brian Enos Moderating Team

I have no problem with those banner ads, except when I clicked on one I was brought to the dealer forum instead of directly to the specific ad I clicked on, and I pay $20 annually to be a member of other forums. Why not offer a mechanism that allows people to “join” for a low annual fee, and let everyone else continue to participate as guests?  Those of us that “join” do so because we like the idea of thinking we are helping. Those that don’t, can be anything from freeloading bums to honest hardworking folks who just can’t afford it right now, but they’d be welcome one and the same. 

11 hours ago, RangerTrace said:

I've not read a ton of books since I graduated, but I've read his twice.  I would greatly miss this forum if it went away.  I'm grateful that we have a chance to keep it going and possibly even grow it.

Agreed. There truly is no other place like this for competition shooters

First off thanks for keeping the forum alive. The ads don't bother me at all and just so you know they way they are done isn't being picked up by my ad blocker (AdBlock).

I'd also suggest a "premium members" subscription program.  Maybe create a single subforum just for those that subscribe and some sort of recognition on their avatar. The 1911 forum does this.

image.png.736f8b90154e2a049b9b8cc45e53359a.png

Edited by GigG

Thanks for stepping up!  The banner ads as extant aren't objectionable, but like other vermin, once present seem to attract more until this sort of thing becomes prevalent.

image.png.d870035ce6b4bc6ed6641b52ce26f2df.png

I would much rather pay a reasonable annual subscription fee of $20-$30.

Thanks again!

Nolan

Brian’s book, not only change my shooting, but my life. The concepts laid out about perceptions and expectations vs reality, seeing, efficiency etc. all stick with me to this day on even menial tasks and daily living.

I have taken several breaks from shooting over the years, but have always returned here to restart my journey.

I’d hate to think about this forum not being here next time I return, or need inspiration…. 

I have donated sporadically here and there over the years, but considered my purchase of Brian’s items from his store my main form of patronage. Failing that, look for further donations. A yearly membership fee wouldn’t be a bad idea either, for premium services and classifieds.

Whatever is decided, happy to help.

Maku mozo!

Edited by sfinney

As a Vendor Tent sponsor, I'm glad to see this place continue to go.

I do say I'm a bit disappointed with the lengthy outage earlier this year and the total lack of communication about it. I'm hoping by going forward we don't have this problem happen again.

59 minutes ago, ampleworks said:

As a Vendor Tent sponsor, I'm glad to see this place continue to go.

I do say I'm a bit disappointed with the lengthy outage earlier this year and the total lack of communication about it. I'm hoping by going forward we don't have this problem happen again.

We also hope to have it not happen again. If it does, we will do our very best to keep the members informed, one way or the other. 

Hat’s off to Brian and the Moderator team, great forum to collect information for this sport. I only met Brian once, me new to the uspsa so I was fortunate to squad with him at Homer Johnson’s Texas State Limited Championship in the late 1990’s, he’s a great guy and it was a pleasure to watch him operate. Retirement, ugh, seems I’m busier than ever or maybe it just takes longer to get things done lol.

Guys, I don't think that a paid membership is ever in the cards for this site. There are several factors at play. 

First, having a paid membership, IMO, would lessen the forum. People that didn't have memberships or wouldn't buy a membership, well, their input would not be on the forum. The forum is about information and having to pay for that information, well, it would cut down on the information.

Secondly, keeping track of who has paid and who hasn't paid would be a royal PITA. Lots of manual labor there, spreadsheets, etc.

Thirdly, the forum costs about $4k a year to host. At a membership dues cost of just $20 per person (I seriously doubt many of you would be willing to pay more than that), it would take 200 members paying that $20 a year to cover the costs. I know you see the total membership number at the bottom of the page (70k+), but, in actuality, guest visitors far outweigh the member visitors, by usually more than 2 to 1. In reality, we have on average, only 100 members a day visit, while we consistently have 250 or so guests visit a day.

Brian's forum was started as a free to all information sharing forum, and we'd love to keep it that way. Free for everyone.

However, if you would like to contribute to the cause (read hosting cost donation), go to the forum home page and donate! We will all very much appreciate it!

I think you’re missing what is being suggested. Nobody is saying a paid membership is required to participate. Everyone would always be welcome to participate. But the “members” willing to pay an annual fee, would maybe get some sort of badge or identifier to distinguish them as a “contributor”. 

Sounds like the BE Moderator team needs to create a reliable source of income to pay for the hosting fees. Selling "Memberships" to the forum that give members special labels or icons. Selling advertising banners. Sell BE forum swag like shirts, hats, patches, stickers, etc.

You can't say "We want to keep it FREE like it always has been" then immediately follow that up with "We need income to pay for hosting the site".

I obviously don't know the finances associated with hosting this site. But I find it hard to believe that Brian Enos would host this forum for many years without it also providing income in excess of the hosting costs by promoting his online store which would generate sales. Hell, I bought my first Dillon 650 fully decked out from the BE Online store because of this forum.

Forums cost money to host and administer. The BE Moderator team needs to formulate a long term financial strategy that pays the bills and also facilitates the desired functionality & member experience. If that requires people to "Pay to Play" then so be it.

Edited by CHA-LEE