Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How does the Nationals move affect you?

2 minutes ago, regor said:

To be fair, that was early November and colder than average historical temps. 

yes, the snow match was november, but the frozen water dish was late june!  We've shot there several times in late june and it's been cold AF pretty much all of them, lol.  I remember at A1 a couple years ago I wore longjohns top and bottom and a sweatshirt for the entire main match. I did at least take my jacket off in the afternoons.

The funny thing about the 2020 match was it was *beautiful* during set up. We got there mid-day before the staff match and were enjoying shorts and t-shirts, and I took my younger dog for a mtn bike ride.

Anyway, your points are all valid ones. I do suspect the wind is a little less at cameo tho. That's one thing Cossa always has going for it is the wind.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, motosapiens said:

October? lolz, our dog's water dish froze over there on the summer solstice weekend!

Here is a fellow RO's rig after the staff match (night before the main match) in 2020.

IMG_0372.jpg

the 2003 uspsa nationals was shot in Bend.  i was there.

Maybe the org should have done what Phil wanted to do when he was President and bought the range in Tulsa.  None of this would be an issue now and everyone would know where they had to go every year if they wanted to compete at Nats.

1 hour ago, mchapman said:

For some reason nobody wants to mention our range. It's at Mesquite NV. Right between Las Vegas and SUPS at St. George. The range is at the Smokin Gun  Club and is actually in Az. We have 22 bays. Go figure.

I want to mention it. I have heard of big matches being shot there in the past. It seems like a plausible place and I know Mesquite has hotels even though the last time I was there it was 110° at midnight and all the hotel lobbies were filled with crickets.

Is OKC or Tulsa big enough to host nationals? I remember one of the two hosted production several years back, but I've never been to either one so I don't know if they're really big enough or not.

59 minutes ago, konkapot said:

@motosapiens Why were there crickets in the lobby of a hotel????!?!

We had a big locust hatch a few years ago, maybe that was what he's talking about. They covered the roads and parking lots all over town. Not a normal reoccurring thing. Seen it once in the 12 years I've been here.

Disappointing for me as well,  i was willing to make the 8 hr drive to grand junction but withdrew when location was moved.  I love shooting but can't justify that cost to shoot nats with everything else that pulls at the finances.  Flights are pricey.  Wonder where it will be next year. 

21 hours ago, mchapman said:

We had a big locust hatch a few years ago, maybe that was what he's talking about. They covered the roads and parking lots all over town. Not a normal reoccurring thing. Seen it once in the 12 years I've been here.

Maybe for next year?   i love shooting in the SW .  been to mesquite the town , but not to the range.  never  knew it was so big

Edited by Sandbagger123

On 6/22/2022 at 11:11 AM, shred said:

The Missoula range was great in many ways-- right outside of town, mountain for a backstop, but they had to have a hayride between ranges and double-up stages at the far ends of some long rifle ranges to get enough bays, so it was quite a hike.  Worst of all, it didn't sell out and so came right off USPSAs list.

For a while there was bad-blood between USPSA and the Vegas range.  Maybe that's blown over by now.  Bend OR had  big range although the dust (and terrible on-one-off-one schedule) was killer the one time I went.  

On 6/22/2022 at 4:34 PM, outerlimits said:

the 2003 uspsa nationals was shot in Bend.  i was there.

OH yeah the dust, I made the mistake of driving my brand new pickem up truck to the match, 5 years later I was still knocking the dust out of the nooks and grannys!  I think the first Nationals there was 2000?  I've taken a rental to all the other matches I've shot there!

3 hours ago, JusticeOfToren said:

I always wonder what's wrong with the Tulsa range for nationals?  

I heard Phil was trying to buy it as official USPSA range but failed.  Bad blood after that?
It has 30 bays.

ussa.jpg

100+degree temps, 95% humidity, tornadoes, hail, 50mph winds, all at one match!

Nolan

9 hours ago, Nolan said:

OH yeah the dust, I made the mistake of driving my brand new pickem up truck to the match, 5 years later I was still knocking the dust out of the nooks and grannys!  I think the first Nationals there was 2000?  I've taken a rental to all the other matches I've shot there!

Nolan

To be fair, USPSA has held Nationals in a hurricane so less wind in Tulsa is how I read that :) 

9 hours ago, Nolan said:

Nolan

You forgot mud in Tulsa...  (did they ever get the drainage fixed there?)

Edited by caspian guy

2 hours ago, Darqusoull13 said:

To be fair, USPSA has held Nationals in a hurricane so less wind in Tulsa is how I read that :) 

1 hour ago, caspian guy said:

You forgot mud in Tulsa...  (did they ever get the drainage fixed there?)

Oh yeah, thanks for reminding me, I was trying (and succeeding) in forgetting that!

Nolan