Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How does the Nationals move affect you?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

we were planning to drive, and bring dogs, and stay in an airbnb and do some mtb-riding too. I was working the match, mrs moto was shooting as a consumer. we don't know what we will do yet. either she'll also work it and we'll get someone to watch the dogs and we'll fly and spend more money and not ride bikes, or we'll just stay home and can tomatoes and brew beer and save our $$ for next year.

I'm glad they acted decisively instead of waiting. It would be far more annoying to deal with this in august.

Well, I was planning on combining the trip with some offroading and a leisurely paced overlanding trip. So, now that's out and I'm going to save a ton of money on gas. 

Instead, I'll break out my old Prod gun, knock the dust off, and work/shoot both matches... and I'll still be home sooner than I would've if it were in CO. 

Question for those who live on the west side of the Rockies.  Leighton said in a statement that there were no ranges in the west that could hold the match.  Is the SUPS range in St George, UT still open?  How about the Redrocks range in Summerlin (Las Vegas), NV?  I've shot matches at both before, but it's been some years, are they still open?

39 minutes ago, wchangose said:

Question for those who live on the west side of the Rockies.  Leighton said in a statement that there were no ranges in the west that could hold the match.  Is the SUPS range in St George, UT still open?  How about the Redrocks range in Summerlin (Las Vegas), NV?  I've shot matches at both before, but it's been some years, are they still open?

there are obviously ranges that could hold the match in the west, including one close to his home. I think what he probably meant is that they were unable to find a range that could accommodate the match on such short notice.

1 hour ago, wchangose said:

Yes Desert Sportsman in Summerlin is still active, I am a member there.  They even are just finishing construction on more pistol bays there for USPSA.
There is also Pro Gun Club on the other side of Las Vegas that I believe holds major matches for rifles quite often and should be able to accommodate it.

Edited by Edwards30
Added details

13 minutes ago, Edwards30 said:

Yes Desert Sportsman in Summerlin is still active, I am a member there.  They even are just finishing construction on more pistol bays there for USPSA.
There is also Pro Gun Club on the other side of Las Vegas that I believe holds major matches for rifles quite often and should be able to accommodate it.

I was told by several (non-HQ) people that nobody wants to go back to Vegas for nationals. Maybe things have changed to make that viable now though, since last time?

1 hour ago, wchangose said:

SUPS redid their bays and arrangement, and apparently it's just not suitable to hold the nationals there any more. They'd have to do a split match or something, with some stages there and the rest at another range.

New email came out 

The MasterPiece Arms Racegun Nationals Open & Limited
October 14-15-16 (staff will shoot Oct 12-13)
CMP Marksmanship Park Talladega, AL

The Blue Bullets PCC & Production Nationals
October 21-22-23 (staff will shoot Oct 19-20)

I no longer see Sig Sauer name tied to Nationals as the title sponsor, did they pull out due to the move?

3 hours ago, Bagellord said:

I was told by several (non-HQ) people that nobody wants to go back to Vegas for nationals. Maybe things have changed to make that viable now though, since last time?

SUPS redid their bays and arrangement, and apparently it's just not suitable to hold the nationals there any more. They'd have to do a split match or something, with some stages there and the rest at another range.

i shot berrys steel match at SUPS in april.  the sheer size and number of bays is staggering.  parking would be an issue.

Screen Shot 2022-06-22 at 10.41.13 AM.jpg

The Missoula range was great in many ways-- right outside of town, mountain for a backstop, but they had to have a hayride between ranges and double-up stages at the far ends of some long rifle ranges to get enough bays, so it was quite a hike.  Worst of all, it didn't sell out and so came right off USPSAs list.

For a while there was bad-blood between USPSA and the Vegas range.  Maybe that's blown over by now.  Bend OR had  big range although the dust (and terrible on-one-off-one schedule) was killer the one time I went.  

58 minutes ago, outerlimits said:

i shot berrys steel match at SUPS in april.  the sheer size and number of bays is staggering.  parking would be an issue.

I think the gripe about the redesign of SUPS (which was coordinated by some state entity, IIRC?) is that it resulted in a lot of skinny bays, which constrains stage design/variety.  

I'm on the fence about retaining my spot with the move to Alabama. I was really excited about the prospect of a 24-28 stage match and like others was considering linking it with some additional outdoor activities in the area (Rifle, CO has great rock climbing). My roommate situation was also thrown up into the air with the division split. 

COSSA in Bend would be awesome (biased since it's not a terrible drive for me) although it can definitely be cold there in October, which I personally don't mind but I know a lot of folks dislike. I've been there a few times including Area 1 in 2019 where they had 15 stages. Looking at the satellite photos they have 17 bays plus two rifle/pistol ranges that they've used for past matches, so 19 total. Knock it back down to 18 for a function fire bay (they've put chrono in same bay as a stage in the past), which puts them on par with Talladega without doubling up any bays. Of course, they have to be willing to host it which I am sure is one of the largest hurdles for USPSA. 

Edited by regor

I'm adding Open natties to my schedule now. I'll be there for PCC too so might as well have fun! 

On one hand this saves me 7 hours each way of driving and of course the questions about CO in general. On the other hand I'm having to re-schedule my Wyoming elk hunt. No big deal there since we are doing a DIY anyways. 

26 minutes ago, shred said:

The Missoula range was great in many ways-- right outside of town, mountain for a backstop, but they had to have a hayride between ranges and double-up stages at the far ends of some long rifle ranges to get enough bays, so it was quite a hike.  Worst of all, it didn't sell out and so came right off USPSAs list.

For a while there was bad-blood between USPSA and the Vegas range.  Maybe that's blown over by now.  Bend OR had  big range although the dust (and terrible on-one-off-one schedule) was killer the one time I went.  

I wasn't shooting when Vegas was hosting any major matches but it seems Desert Sportsman (Vegas) has changed some of the management since then from what I hear.  They just now started doing USPSA again after only having IDPA and SC.

46 minutes ago, regor said:

COSSA in Bend would be awesome (biased since it's not a terrible drive for me) although it can definitely be cold there in October, which I personally don't mind but I know a lot of folks dislike.

October? lolz, our dog's water dish froze over there on the summer solstice weekend!

Here is a fellow RO's rig after the staff match (night before the main match) in 2020.

IMG_0372.jpg

Edited by motosapiens

2 hours ago, motosapiens said:

October? lolz, our dog's water dish froze over there on the summer solstice weekend!

Here is a fellow RO's rig after the staff match (night before the main match) in 2020.

To be fair, that was early November and colder than average historical temps. Early October average temps are 65+ highs, mornings would be chilly for sure. Comparing to Palisade their historical average highs/lows are quite similar. Bend's temps run about 10 days ahead of Palisade through October. Daily highs in Palisade stay above 60 through October, for Bend it's through the 20th. https://www.usclimatedata.com/climate/bend/oregon/united-states/usor0031