Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Chaos 2

scduckman03

On 1/16/2022 at 10:29 AM, RangerTrace said:

I "think" its less stroke and a standard 2011.  Something similar to short stroking a 9mm AR?  As long as it remains reliable, a shorter stroke should lead to faster splits in theory.

what's old is new again... short stroking was a big thing around 1996-1999 .....

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, RangerTrace said:

I used to destroke by 6" SV with a shock buff and an aluma buff.  Drove Brandon Strayer crazy!!

You’re not the first person I’ve heard of using shock buffs to do this. And cutting recoil springs to match

1 hour ago, Silent said:

You’re not the first person I’ve heard of using shock buffs to do this. And cutting recoil springs to match

So what's the story with de-stroking then? If I was to think about it, I'd say it has to do with the timing of the slide. Stroked guns have longer dwell time to give the mag more time to fully present the round. Ergo, on a de-stroked gun your mags have to be on point, which is often difficult with big sticks.

Never quite understood why you'd stroke the slide, and then add shock buffs to take that out 🤔

Next on the list would be the case length. Running 9x19 in a 38SC gun basically "wastes" those couple of mm of slide travel.

What I'm getting at is that it seems like you can optimise for either 9 or 38 and hope that the other runs. 

I wonder if Atlas went "We sell way more 9mm guns than 38s so lets try to make sure that those run"...

9 minutes ago, zdali said:

I wonder if Atlas went "We sell way more 9mm guns than 38s so lets try to make sure that those run"...

That’s how I’m seeing it. Believe the couple of 2.0s that were passed around were 9mm. 2.0 38sc has the same 2 poppel holes as the 9mm gun, chaos 1.0 38sc had a longer slide port and 3 holes. 

1 minute ago, jpeters11 said:

That’s how I’m seeing it. Believe the couple of 2.0s that were passed around were 9mm. 2.0 38sc has the same 2 poppel holes as the 9mm gun, chaos 1.0 38sc had a longer slide port and 3 holes. 

Hmm. Good observation. I shot with a guy tonight who had a 1.0 and he didn’t have very complimentary things to say. The gun ran well though. He won’t be ordering a 2.0. 

1 hour ago, zdali said:

So what's the story with de-stroking then? If I was to think about it, I'd say it has to do with the timing of the slide. Stroked guns have longer dwell time to give the mag more time to fully present the round. Ergo, on a de-stroked gun your mags have to be on point, which is often difficult with big sticks.

Never quite understood why you'd stroke the slide, and then add shock buffs to take that out 🤔

Next on the list would be the case length. Running 9x19 in a 38SC gun basically "wastes" those couple of mm of slide travel.

What I'm getting at is that it seems like you can optimise for either 9 or 38 and hope that the other runs. 

I’m going to guess it’s a matter of personal preference for the shooter. Whatever they like the feel of the best. 

With this is mind, if you have a stroked gun, you can mess with shock buff to shorten the slide travel and basically have both options. If your gun isn’t stroked, no way to make it longer so you’re stuck with that. Just thinking out loud. 

19 hours ago, zdali said:

My guns are stroked with cut springs. I played around with aluminum buffs and what it did was dampen the crash between slide and frame and the dot jittered less. Even with 1-2 buffs it was still stroked. Having it stroked gave me options to play around as opposed to not. Said gun is an Akai 9mm middy with 6 popple holes. Loads are 124gr jhp @ 1.160 over 9.8gr of AA7 giving me 172pf give or take

Edited by Bravo_Victor

On 1/20/2022 at 1:31 PM, MikeBurgess said:

All I was meaning is I've seen several guns run happily with baffle strikes and even looking at the comp to try to figure out if thats the cause of the accuracy issues we were seeing did not show anything super obvious. so a gun that deliver with baffle strikes while in no way is acceptable does not mean that it was not test fired. 

Weird, if I built a gun and bullets were tumbling on target, I would not ship that gun. 

4 hours ago, lacivilian said:

Weird, if I built a gun and bullets were tumbling on target, I would not ship that gun. 

very likely not fired at a target or at a target that gets any type of inspection.  Most likely its a case of grab gun do mag dump if it runs it goes in the dun pile if not it goes in the fix pile. 

• 2 weeks later...

36 minutes ago, clw42 said:

Yikes - pretty close to Infinity prices.  I do like that new grip they came up with though. 

Yep.  For a production gun with the only options being parts you can swap yourself, like trigger, grip panels, racker and magwell.

5 hours ago, Bdh821 said:

I’ve played with a bunch of the test mules at local matches. They feel nice. I know, this is amazing info… 

I got to mess with one.  I really like the grip panel idea.  You can add where you need more contact.  The one I tried was excellent.  It's too bad the grips are proprietary.  The gun itself is really nice, but if I'm spending that much, I might as well toss in another $1-1.5K and get the Infinity.

7 hours ago, clw42 said:

I got to mess with one.  I really like the grip panel idea.  You can add where you need more contact.  The one I tried was excellent.  It's too bad the grips are proprietary.  The gun itself is really nice, but if I'm spending that much, I might as well toss in another $1-1.5K and get the Infinity.

You don’t HAVE to spend more an SV. Fancy cuts will add costs but aren’t necessary. Still hard to grasp that the Chaos is this much. The guys I’ve talked to and shoot with that own or have owned the 1.0 aren’t getting one. 

39 minutes ago, Posvar said:

You don’t HAVE to spend more an SV. Fancy cuts will add costs but aren’t necessary. Still hard to grasp that the Chaos is this much. The guys I’ve talked to and shoot with that own or have owned the 1.0 aren’t getting one. 

Oh, I didn't realize that.  Then I'd definitely get an Infinity.

But don't fancy cuts make you faster?

On 2/12/2022 at 11:45 PM, clw42 said:

Yeah I’m on a list for an Infinity and it’s less than an Atlas.. 

31 minutes ago, Bdh821 said:

Yeah I’m on a list for an Infinity and it’s less than an Atlas.. 

Nice.  If I were in the market for a new gun, I'd probably go that route as well.  I still have some kinks to work out in my game...it's not the gun holding me up.  Eventually though.