Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Chaos 2

scduckman03

I had the opportunity to handle and shoot the Chaos 2.0 at the 2021 USPSA Nationals. I was only able to shoot about 20 - 30 rounds of 9Major ammo through it using borrowed ammo. I honestly can't say that the Chaos 2.0 was any "Better" than my current Chaos 1.0 chambered in 38SC. With only a few rounds of borrowed ammo down the pipe of a borrowed gun in a strange to me Spring/Grip/Magwell/Thumb Rest configuration there is no way that I would even expect it to be "Better" than my fully optimized to me Chaos 1.0.

Maybe one day I will have the opportunity to get a Chaos 2.0 to play with for an extended amount of time. This will give me the tuning time to get it fully optimized to how I shoot so it can shine in its own unique way. Only then it would be fair to do a back to back test against my Chaos 1.0. Given that I am focused on Limited division for the 2022 shooting season, I don't see a Chaos 2.0 deep dive happening any time soon. Until then, I will have to keep rocking my Chaos 1.0 when I have the chance.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I found the destroke idea interesting as I would think it would mean more extraction and ejection issues since you are making the ejection port opening smaller, and giving less time for the process. 

And at 8k... I can get a complete second 2011 with all three uppers like the one I have now built. And believe me it has the best parts used throughout. And no it's not a Honcho. 

3 hours ago, Bakerjd said:

I found the destroke idea interesting as I would think it would mean more extraction and ejection issues since you are making the ejection port opening smaller, and giving less time for the process. 

And at 8k... I can get a complete second 2011 with all three uppers like the one I have now built. And believe me it has the best parts used throughout. And no it's not a Honcho. 

Agreed on the stroke process. 

Don't see anything that's really unique with this thing.  So, they shortened the stroke on it.  Big deal.  Not sure that's a good thing to start with.  Also, there are other ways to accomplish that that aren't permanent in case you don't like it, it doesn't work, you want to change it, or if you ever want to sell it.  The $8k+ price point is pretty much the new norm for a top of the line open gun.  But for an off-the-shelf production gun with no options?  Not even an arched mainspring housing, different safeties or different magwell?  And if you want to switch those parts out yourself, then the parts don't match or you have to pay to get the gun refinished?  That sucks pretty bad.  Also, if they're cranking these out in batches, it's a pretty sure bet they're not doing any function testing or anything else before they go out the door.  Again, not what I'd expect for that kind of money.  As for "tech support," not sure what they're going to tell you that most of us don't already know.  And even for the less informed, I don't think that's worth an extra couple grand.

Edited by ltdmstr

23 hours ago, AverageJoeShooting said:

Alright after watching the video I have some thoughts 

1. Extra beveling around the muzzle and comp-makes it pretty to look at but 100% unnecessary and also adding to the cost for no real reason

2. 3 or 4 oz heavier? Why? Just because you are swinging around a sledge hammer doesn't always mean its going to feel better. The previous generation was perfectly fine weight wise. I've been shooting open for 2 years and I've found that the perfect gun weight is between 50 and 52 oz. Heavier and transitions suffer until you get used to it

3.non stroked? Why? He says it's because it's a new frame...but I mean realistically it's just a long frame and people have been using long frames and stroking for years...what year are we in that they are trying to sell a base model for that price? 

4. The grip panels seem gimmicky. There's nothing wrong with the aggressive grips. I guess some people might be attracted to the idea of decorating their panels and putting all sorts of bulls#!t in there, but again what was wrong with the previous design

5. Still a single sided mount with no drill holes on the other side? Why not at least give people the option? 

6. Also did that trigger guard look undercut at all? It looks super flat which again means not really any type of upgrade worth that price. 

7. Still no hybrid barrel model? I mean I would have liked to see 3 or 4 holes for 38 sc and 2 is fine for 9major but I mean hybrid barrels hit your hand completely different. I know some will say "yea what about the longevity of the slide" but for this price point believe me when I tell you would be better prepared to buy a new slide when it cracks. For 9k, id expect at least the option

8. New panel cuts might wow new comers to the open game, but they literally only exist to reduce the slide weight. Doesn't matter to me if they are triangles, circles, rectangles or squares. As long as they accomplish the goal it works. And let's not act like that "new panel cut" is anything more than putting it on a cnc machine and programming it to do the work. It's not as if the gunsmith is hand cutting those with files. 

In conclusion. It's a nice gimmick. But I just don't see what makes the gun worth svi or Eddie money. For 8k you can buy all the parts to two guns and have a local Smith make you two open guns. 

This so true. 

23 minutes ago, Balakay said:

When was the last time Atlas sold an open gun?

were there problems with chaos 1.0?

was atlas inundated with service requests to the point where it was no longer cost-effective to sell open guns?

The video said something like the demand is just so high they no longer will do anything custom and they will sell out very very fast. He was wishy-washy on the fact that you can or can’t have different safeties or trigger shoes installed. I’m confused.

45 minutes ago, ltdmstr said:

Don't see anything that's really unique with this thing.  So, they shortened the stroke on it.  Big deal.  Not sure that's a good thing to start with.  Also, there are other ways to accomplish that that aren't permanent in case you don't like it, it doesn't work, you want to change it, or if you ever want to sell it.  The $8k+ price point is pretty much the new norm for a top of the line open gun.  But for an off-the-shelf production gun with no options?  Not even an arched mainspring housing, different safeties or different magwell?  And if you want to switch those parts out yourself, then the parts don't match or you have to pay to get the gun refinished?  That sucks pretty bad.  Also, if they're cranking these out in batches, it's a pretty sure bet they're not doing any function testing or anything else before they go out the door.  Again, not what I'd expect for that kind of money.  As for "tech support," not sure what they're going to tell you that most of us don't already know.  And even for the less informed, I don't think that's worth an extra couple grand.

Why would you think they do not function test their guns?  They have a range on site at their facility just for function testing new guns and guns they have repaired…..

8 minutes ago, Posvar said:

The video said something like the demand is just so high they no longer will do anything custom and they will sell out very very fast. He was wishy-washy on the fact that you can or can’t have different safeties or trigger shoes installed. I’m confused.

Trigger shoes can be picked when you add a gun to your cart.  They can easily be switched and do not need fitting.  Safeties would be different.  The ones that I saw in process had their shielded safeties on them. 

38 minutes ago, kitestir said:

Why would you think they do not function test their guns?  They have a range on site at their facility just for function testing new guns and guns they have repaired…..

And they have a GM open shooter who works there/shoots them.  The word around here is they had a bunch of cracked slides on their open guns.  My only experience is with carry/IDPA guns in 9mm.  They have been flawless.  

1 hour ago, kitestir said:

Why would you think they do not function test their guns?

Because they're cranking them out as fast as they can, so I doubt they're taking the time to test each one individually.  Also, I've encountered people who've purchased Atlas guns and had problems with them from the start, which leads me to believe they weren't function tested before they went out the door.

21 minutes ago, ltdmstr said:

Because they're cranking them out as fast as they can, so I doubt they're taking the time to test each one individually.  Also, I've encountered people who've purchased Atlas guns and had problems with them from the start, which leads me to believe they weren't function tested before they went out the door.

So if you run say 3 30 round mags through an open gun times 15 guns. Doesn’t take long to put 90-100 rounds through an open gun. Especially when to range is probably less then 100 feet from the guy who does final assembly.  So how would you know they aren’t function testing?????

3 minutes ago, kitestir said:

So if you run say 3 30 round mags through an open gun times 15 guns. Doesn’t take long to put 90-100 rounds through an open gun. Especially when to range is probably less then 100 feet from the guy who does final assembly.  So how would you know they aren’t function testing?????

Can't say for sure, but if they did, they probably wouldn't have customers with brand new guns that don't run.  Do you know for a fact that they do?  Or are you just a fanboy?

10 minutes ago, ltdmstr said:

Can't say for sure, but if they did, they probably wouldn't have customers with brand new guns that don't run.  Do you know for a fact that they do?  Or are you just a fanboy?

Not a fan boy. Known Adam for many years. Have been to his facility a few times. Owned a Chaos. Waiting on a 2 now. We shoot together at our local USPSA matches. Before he had his range at his new facility I would see him after matches open his vehicle and have 30 pistol cases give or take and bring them out one at a time and function test. So before you start spewing crap on a forum know what you are talking about. 

1 hour ago, RangerTrace said:

....The word around here is they had a bunch of cracked slides on their open guns....

Can you give any more details. This is concerning if I am considering an 8K+ purchase.  Thx

Just now, Balakay said:

Can you give any more details. This is concerning if I am considering an 8K+ purchase.  Thx

I don't have any details other than one of our local M class shooters had one and the slide cracked.  This caused me to call a GM friend of mine that was shooting Atlas as well.  He advised the same thing and he moved on to Infinity.  He believed (correctly) that a Limited gun would be fine.  My assumption is that the V2 took care of the cracking slides.  

12 minutes ago, kitestir said:

Not a fan boy. Known Adam for many years. Have been to his facility a few times. Owned a Chaos. Waiting on a 2 now. We shoot together at our local USPSA matches. Before he had his range at his new facility I would see him after matches open his vehicle and have 30 pistol cases give or take and bring them out one at a time and function test. So before you start spewing crap on a forum know what you are talking about. 

Not spewing crap, just stating an opinion on the basis of common production methods for the industry and the details they provided.  Also, from statements made by actual owners.  Not sure why that's so offensive to you.  If I'm wrong, that's fine.  Happy to hear that.  But unless you know for a fact they're testing every gun before it goes out the door, your opinion isn't any more valid than mine.

Edited by ltdmstr

8 minutes ago, RangerTrace said:

I don't have any details other than one of our local M class shooters had one and the slide cracked.  This caused me to call a GM friend of mine that was shooting Atlas as well.  He advised the same thing and he moved on to Infinity.  He believed (correctly) that a Limited gun would be fine.  My assumption is that the V2 took care of the cracking slides.  

I have a guy I shoot with that had to send in for a new top end for his Limited gun.  Whatever model has the sight block.  Cracked right where the slide was cut through.  Not surprising really.  

33 minutes ago, ltdmstr said:

Not spewing crap, just stating an opinion on the basis of common production methods for the industry and the details they provided.  Also, from statements made by actual owners.  Not sure why that's so offensive to you.  If I'm wrong, that's fine.  Happy to hear that.  But unless you know for a fact that they're testing every gun before it goes out the door, your opinions isn't any more valid than mine is.

I don’t find anything offensive. All I have said is 1) they have a range and can test fire each gun very easily. And 2)I have seen them test fire multiple gun on multiple occasions. You are the one that keeps saying you don’t think they can. And called me a fanboy.  I don’t doubt there have been people that have had problems with their guns. EVERY mfg can have this happen. Never mentioned anything about that. You just don’t seem to think that a company can test fire all of these guns. Things happen. Even putting 100 rounds through a gun may not catch an issue. It is how it is handled is the important thing. I am sure SVI, Akai, Freedom, Cheeley have all had guns go back. It happens.