Chaos 2

scduckman03

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I was planning on ordering at least one last year, but now I’m having trouble finding powder. I’ll play in CO for 2022 and wait for an Infinity or two.

Think the fairly plain build quote I got from Infinity late last year was $1k less than a Chaos 2.0. Toss in blast pattern and an IMM will probably still be cheaper. 

Edited by jpeters11

I think they are going to have a harder time selling a off the rack gun for the same price as an Infinity and a fair chunk more than most of the custom builders. 

I will say my favorite part is the switch to steel comps because the locktite works better and they are heavier

I was able to shoot one of these at Nationals while it was still being tested by one of the Atlas Team guys.  It was a 9 Major gun, and for what it's worth with the load that was being run through it, it shot VERY flat.  It felt really good with the newer grip and grip panels and it felt a little heavier than the other i have shot before, but it felt very balanced and shot really well.  Doubles on 8" steel at 25 were simple and it was a good experience.  

It is a pistol I would have considered until the release and price point.  For that price point, they are putting their pistols in the same category price wise as a fully custom SVI or a hand built EMG gun from Eddie.  Atlas is solid, but for the pistols at that price point, I would first consider SVI or Eddie.  Some manufacturing changes and materials drive a higher price point, and If it were $6.5-7K it would be more appealing, but after tax at $9K, I think it is going to be the hard core Atlas guys and Team guys shooting them. 

Hmm...lotta $$$, short stroked? The old fad was stroked? Guess he is making 15 and no pre-order. When they come out, they sell to first buyers. I'll pass. But there will be some buyers for sure. If ya have FB, vid is here:

https://www.facebook.com/atlasgunworks/videos/408556810960156/

Youtube 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3-DYuqoSQo

Edited by Lastcat
added YT link

Alright after watching the video I have some thoughts 

1. Extra beveling around the muzzle and comp-makes it pretty to look at but 100% unnecessary and also adding to the cost for no real reason

2. 3 or 4 oz heavier? Why? Just because you are swinging around a sledge hammer doesn't always mean its going to feel better. The previous generation was perfectly fine weight wise. I've been shooting open for 2 years and I've found that the perfect gun weight is between 50 and 52 oz. Heavier and transitions suffer until you get used to it

3.non stroked? Why? He says it's because it's a new frame...but I mean realistically it's just a long frame and people have been using long frames and stroking for years...what year are we in that they are trying to sell a base model for that price? 

4. The grip panels seem gimmicky. There's nothing wrong with the aggressive grips. I guess some people might be attracted to the idea of decorating their panels and putting all sorts of bulls#!t in there, but again what was wrong with the previous design

5. Still a single sided mount with no drill holes on the other side? Why not at least give people the option? 

6. Also did that trigger guard look undercut at all? It looks super flat which again means not really any type of upgrade worth that price. 

7. Still no hybrid barrel model? I mean I would have liked to see 3 or 4 holes for 38 sc and 2 is fine for 9major but I mean hybrid barrels hit your hand completely different. I know some will say "yea what about the longevity of the slide" but for this price point believe me when I tell you would be better prepared to buy a new slide when it cracks. For 9k, id expect at least the option

8. New panel cuts might wow new comers to the open game, but they literally only exist to reduce the slide weight. Doesn't matter to me if they are triangles, circles, rectangles or squares. As long as they accomplish the goal it works. And let's not act like that "new panel cut" is anything more than putting it on a cnc machine and programming it to do the work. It's not as if the gunsmith is hand cutting those with files. 

In conclusion. It's a nice gimmick. But I just don't see what makes the gun worth svi or Eddie money. For 8k you can buy all the parts to two guns and have a local Smith make you two open guns. 

Very valid rant "AverageJoeShooting", as an Atlas owner of several of there Limited pistols and once owner of a Chaos they are off there Rocker with that price point for a somewhat mass produced gun. 

The cost of the Erebus and Artemis are right around what I paid for my Chaos a few years back so it would be expected that the new Chaos would be higher in price.  In terms of price and the way inflation is going, $8k in a year may be the same as $6.5k in 2019.  Right now, it is outside of my price range and the v2 isn't going to make me shoot better.

Are Infinity hand fit or is Atlas aspiring to be like Infinity?  I know Atlas seems more transparent with the way they build.  There are still some hand fit process as the barrels on my guns are not interchangeable.  I accidentally swapped barrels/slide and could not put it back together.  The machines do most of the work but not all of it.

38 minutes ago, vtecpaoche said:

The cost of the Erebus and Artemis are right around what I paid for my Chaos a few years back so it would be expected that the new Chaos would be higher in price.  In terms of price and the way inflation is going, $8k in a year may be the same as $6.5k in 2019.  Right now, it is outside of my price range and the v2 isn't going to make me shoot better.

Are Infinity hand fit or is Atlas aspiring to be like Infinity?  I know Atlas seems more transparent with the way they build.  There are still some hand fit process as the barrels on my guns are not interchangeable.  I accidentally swapped barrels/slide and could not put it back together.  The machines do most of the work but not all of it.

Atlas isn't hand fit anymore. 

Limcat still does hand fitting

Svi probably does some hand fitting

Atlas is aspiring to make as much money as possible while cranking out the cheapest and lowest amount of effort guns

Sadly it's basically where almost all smith's end up once they get a taste of the money of the competition world

32 minutes ago, AverageJoeShooting said:

Atlas isn't hand fit anymore. 

Limcat still does hand fitting

Svi probably does some hand fitting

Atlas is aspiring to make as much money as possible while cranking out the cheapest and lowest amount of effort guns

Sadly it's basically where almost all smith's end up once they get a taste of the money of the competition world

How do you know atlas doesn’t hand fit their guns? For $6k they better be hand fit. 

A crap ton of "Hand Fitting" is needed when you are not the one making the parts to be "Fit". Most gunsmiths are left with no option other than buying parts from whoever they can get them from then putting in a crap ton of "Hand Fitting" to make the parts fit to one another. That isn't an advantage or badge of honor to be proud of. That is being stuck with whatever parts they have available to work with for a given build.

Atlas has the advantage of making the vast majority of the parts themselves so it only makes sense to have the parts start off at a closer "Fit". Even at that, Atlas guns are not "Parts Bin" style builds where any frame, slide or barrel can be pulled out of a bin and slapped together without being precision "Fit" to one another. Each of their guns is "Hand Fit" by skilled gunsmiths. This level of manufacturing optimization is needed when you are tasked with cranking out a bunch of guns every month.

The internal design of the Chaos 2.0 Frame is different from any other "High Cap 1911" or "2011" frame. The frame rails are longer front to back and the front portion of the frame rails where the Guide Rod and Slide bottoms out is moved forward. This is how they have "De-Stroked" the overall slide travel. Its hard to explain these changes via text. I wish I had one on hand to take side by side pictures to a "Normal" frame.