Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Taking the PCC plunge

Hi all,

Finally caving and looking into a ready to go 9mm PCC based on an AR platform that takes Glock mags. Been shooting USPSA A Class in Open, Limited, and Production so I want something that's decently competitive but in and around $1500.00. I want it to participate in our local 2-gun and fun shoots mostly. I will still shoot Open in most matches through. I do appreciate a good gun so don't want something low-low end - I can build ARs and use them in 3-Gun but if I can be lazy and not build one so much the better. I've had JP, CMMG, and PSA recommended so far. Yes I've used the search but get a dizzying results as well as recommendations from my friends at the WAC. I'll have to finally eat all my "wearing girls underwear" words now!

Thanks!

i have a Frankenstein build i have on paper that i want to get eventually. its a short stroke build w/ a 10" barrel that has a 6" extension to make up for the overall 16". I'll send it over to you via DM. 

....which i cant send from my work (gov) computer because they blocked the upload feature on websites. 🤦‍♂️

i'll get it to you when I get home. 

Edited by Kwontanamo

I shoot a Leadstar Prime PCC and love it.  One of their 'lesser' models is essentially the same and in your price range.

Before you start looking at PCCs, you should decide exactly how you are going to use it.  If, like my 3-gun buddy who literally throws the PCC into barrels on the run, you'll want something tough.  That especially goes for optics.  If you are not going to mistreat it, you have many more options. BTW, it is wise to buy your first one.  Not everything works with everything else.

You are not going to find a JP in your price range.  I doubt you will find a CMMG either.  A lot of PSA PCCs are built by Leadstar.  They will fit in your budget.

Here is one you should consider.  https://www.stagezeroshooting.com/lead-star-arms-barrage-9mm-pcc-non-skeletonized.html  It fits your budget, comes with all good stuff and you don't have to do a thing to it.  It does not have a skeletonized receiver.  You can pay a little more for skeletonized, but I wouldn't.  If you have a round rupture your face and arm will not be pelted with debris.  Learned that the hard way with my Prime.

BTW, Donnie at Stage Zero is a pleasure to work with.  Talk to him about what you want and listen to his recommendations.  He is a wealth of knowledge.

Another suggestion.  Ask to handle other PCCs at a match.  Everyone will oblige.  Most will let you shoot it some, especially if you offer to pay for the ammo.

I would recommend the JP GMR-15 - but it's out of your price range.  I shoot with a couple of guys running Leadstars, not sure of the models and they seem reliable and according to ZZT, are affordable.  My backup gun is a Stag 9 - uses Colt mags.  Very reliable...but not JP reliable.  Most of the other guys I shoot with shoot Franken builds - some are very reliable, some are not.  Maybe there are some used JP GMR-15s coming on the market - JP released a new gun - JP5 so maybe some are trading up.  

Good luck.  

Edited by philmadxx

Although not in your list, the CZ Scorpion would come in under your budget by about $400, mags for it are very cheap (can find 40 round mags or extenders for them fairly easy and cheap) and it is deadly accurate. I have about 1k rounds through mine, it has eaten everything I have put in it, with absolutely zero malfunctions...and I have never cleaned it. All I have done is a reduced power trigger spring and deleted the ambi safety, making it one sided instead, $40 worth of mods. That dot on it is an el cheapo BSA dot that is at least 15 years old and cost about $50 back then. The target is an offhand 5 shot group at 25 yards after sighting in using my minor PF USPSA pistol loads (3.5 of VV N320 with a PD 147 FMJ @1.150).

20210723_111937.jpg

20210723_111932.jpg

9 hours ago, frankge said:

Hi all,

Finally caving and looking into a ready to go 9mm PCC based on an AR platform that takes Glock mags. Been shooting USPSA A Class in Open, Limited, and Production so I want something that's decently competitive but in and around $1500.00. I want it to participate in our local 2-gun and fun shoots mostly. I will still shoot Open in most matches through. I do appreciate a good gun so don't want something low-low end - I can build ARs and use them in 3-Gun but if I can be lazy and not build one so much the better. I've had JP, CMMG, and PSA recommended so far. Yes I've used the search but get a dizzying results as well as recommendations from my friends at the WAC. I'll have to finally eat all my "wearing girls underwear" words now!

Thanks!

I hear you, I looked of and on for the last year or two, but after an hour of google you become like you said dizzy, yikes its overwhelming!  I have been shooting a SC and a few other club matches over the past years, everyone would say to me when are you getting a PCC? I always responded to them "oh im not into cheating...hahah" . Well after cleaning out the safe over Christmas vacation I found  one that I rarely  used, well she got traded. I went to the LGS and put in a order for a Ruger PCC. I know this one is not on your list but I wanted to be slightly different, at least around here.   

Squirrel

I bought a PSA PCC 3 years ago. I needed to polish the sharp lip on the barrel's feed ramp, and after that it has run flawless. I put the 3.5 lb PSA trigger in it that they are now including with their PCCs, and it's a great trigger. The handguard they include is very nice also. 

Turns out I don't enjoy PCC as much as pistol, so it's good I didn't spend a bunch more to try it out.  The difference in performance between a Lead Star and a PSA is probably negligible.  

Check the PSA AR-V. I built one from a receiver kit. The mags are silly cheap, 35rd. standard and 15rd. extensions are reliable. Built in feed ramp, ambi mag release. I’m using a CMC 9mm trigger, 100% reliable so far. If you don’t want to build it, the 16” rifles were $899 last time I looked. 

7123A2FE-8B26-4F2D-ADD9-F2A7A7C0D38A.jpeg

I have a PSA AR-V and an NFA S-9 PCCs. They both use Scorpion mags and are great guns.  Wanted something different than Glock mags as I have several of those. The main difference in the two are the mag release and bolt release locations. The S-9 has standard AR-9 control locations, and the AR-V has locations similar to the CZ Scorpion. 

On 1/5/2022 at 6:19 PM, egd5 said:

With the new JP5 coming out I'd look around for a used GMR15. I just bought a second one myself.

That is what I did, got a very good deal on a jp gmr with a bunch of extras here on BEF.

Edited by usmc1974
  • 1 year later...
On 1/23/2022 at 9:19 PM, usmc1974 said:

With the new JP5 coming out I'd look around for a used GMR15

I got lucky and a friend is upgrading to the JP-5.  But I have 2 friends that are very happy with their MBX Pro Comp.  Out of your price range,  I know.  But still one to consider.

On 1/5/2022 at 8:05 AM, frankge said:

Hi all,

Thanks!

I'd do a GMR-15. You're getting the most reliable blowback option available with a very, very proven record in competition. No messing with stuff, no tinkering to get it to run. The GMR is the buy and enjoy option. 

IF you're hard set on a $1500 budget, pick up the JP GMR lower with trigger, JP Bolt, SCS and Barrel. You can save a bit piecing together the build with other hardware from there. I strongly recommend sticking with the operating system parts listed above all coming from the same manufacturer though. 

PSA AR-V receiver set, trigger of choice, barrel of choice, handguard of choice

Blitzkrieg hydraulic buffer with extra weight, 308 spring, and A5 buffer tube

Takes inexpensive mags made for PSA by Thril.  They function in a PCC better and cheaper than glock mags.

Over your budget for sure but I went with the JP5. I have a couple of MPX's that always seem to hiccup at the wrong time and my nephew has a SBR Scorpion that he's always messing with at matches.

I would think a GMR-15 would be a choice as my JP has never failed, not once.

No doubt, pick up a GMR-15 from some of the guys that have gone to the JP5. I just switched to a new JP5, but have no plans of parting with the GMR-15...rifle has run 100%, flawless from day one. Get one with a Hyperfire trigger and mag well, and your ready to roll...

I was in the same boat as you didn’t want to spend over 1500 but wanted gmr15 reliability.  I built mine with a aero epc upper and lower and the fit is amazing! I went with a Brekke customs 6” brake and buffer kit with smoke composite carbon buffer tube and smoke composite handguard.  I waited for the best price on opticsplanet and found a Jp bolt and 10.5 barrel for feeding reliability.  Got a Rise Armament pcc trigger, aero ambi charging handle, and radian ambi safety since I’m a lefty also from optics.  Then finally Bcm stock with modified a2 grip that I had laying around to complete the build. I could not be happier just under 1500 all in all and unbelievable reliability, not a single malfunction with reloads or factory ammo.  I have shot it and compared it next to a jp5, mpx, and tr9. Jp and mpx are definitely softer shooting and the quality of the jp5 is amazing!  The tr9 is a beautiful gun but the lower and upper has some slop and is not as tight fitting as my gun and also feel mine balances better and is a softer shooter for 1/2 the price!

So you definitely can build a great quality gun for 1500 and get gmr15 reliability just have to do some searching for sales on quality parts.

Edited by Owensc
1 hour ago, Owensc said:

I was in the same boat as you didn’t want to spend over 1500 but wanted gmr15 reliability.  I built mine with a aero epc upper and lower and the fit is amazing! I went with a Brekke customs 6” brake and buffer kit with smoke composite carbon buffer tube and smoke composite handguard.  I waited for the best price on opticsplanet and found a Jp bolt and 10.5 barrel for feeding reliability.  Got a Rise Armament pcc trigger, aero ambi charging handle, and radian ambi safety since I’m a lefty aLao from optics.  Then finally Bcm stock with modified a2 grip that I had laying around to complete the build. I could not be happier just under 1500 all in all and unbelievable reliability, not a single malfunction with reloads or factory ammo.  I have shot it and compared it next to a jp5, mpx, and tr9. Jp and mpx are definitely softer shooting and the quality of the jp5 is amazing!  The tr9 is a beautiful gun but the lower and upper has some slop and is not as tight fitting as my gun and also feel mine balances better and is a softer shooter for 1/2 the price!

So you definitely can build a great quality gun for 1500 and get gmr15 reliability just have to do some searching for sales on quality parts.

Amen brother!!!!!!!