Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Getting Back into IDPA - Vest & Belt Suggestions

JohnnyD

So my schedule is changing in 2 months and I'll be able to hit some Saturday matches again.  I'd like to support the club I'm a member at some more so I'm thinking of shooting the IDPA matches.  They have a morning and afternoon session and you can shoot both.  I plan on shooting my Glock 26 in CCP to get more practice with my carry gun wearing normal attire...then gamer it up the other session.

Probably will shoot Carry Optics with my Glock 17 (I'd love to shoot PCC as that is what I shoot in Steel Challenge and USPSA but how I see some IDPA matches are designed they look like they would suck with PCC).

Looking for belt and vest suggestions.  I don't want to spend a fortune on some $100 vest but willing to spend some money (say $60ish or less if possible).  I've seen a lot of suggestions for the Shooters Connection IDPA belt and IDPA even links to it so I should be legal there but really stuck on the vest.

Also is there any issue using a 34/35 holster for my 17?  I also have a 35 I could shoot in SSP with downloaded ammo as it doesn't have much done to it or shoot it in ESP with my KKM conversion barrel if I ever chose to do so.

Edited by JohnnyD

I use the kore essentials belt that runs a round $50 for a vest I got a Amazon photographer vest that was a round $25.

A 17 in a 34 holster is good to go.

A 35 in ssp with 40 minor is a viable option but something I have no experience with. 

You don't have to have a purpose made vest.

Problem with those dime store "photographer" and "fishing" vests is that they are short and might not cover your G34 holster. 

I recall one guy wearing an old suit coat with the sleeves taken out; another with the famous blue houndstooth check jacket that he donated to the Salvation Army every winter, took it off his income tax as a charitable donation, bought it back in the spring.  

A BDU shirt with the sleeves rolled up or cut off will work.

There was once a fad for Aloha shirts as concealment garments but that got to be racist or something un-PC.  

Belt---any decent "carry" gun belt would work fine.  I'm partial to the Wilderness Tactical Instructor belt, but that's because I wear one just about every day. :)

For IDPA, your belt doesn't have to be any more complicated than that. 

Vest---as has been pointed out, the MAIN thing is that it is long enough to cover your holster.  I think I spent about $30 on mine...?  Something like that.  Whatever you get---my suggestion is lightweight and preferably vented across the back.

Edited by Thomas H
fixing typos

I've had the same 5.11 vest for 8 years. No reason to change it. Belt I've been using the same Wilderness Tactical Instructor belt for 7 years.

PCC in any IDPA match makes it feel like you shot an entirely different match than the pistol shooters. Don't be afraid to try it.

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/6/2021 at 12:29 PM, rowdyb said:

I've had the same 5.11 vest for 8 years. No reason to change it. Belt I've been using the same Wilderness Tactical Instructor belt for 7 years.

This.

On 5/9/2021 at 11:19 AM, SGT_Schultz said:

How about dressing the way you do when you carry a gun in public?

That's what I do.

IDPA doesn't allow AIWB, and I don't personally think that IDPA tests carry skills or tactical skills.  So, while I have on occasion used my carry gun in IDPA (it is my backup gun if my competition gun dies), since I can't use my actual carry method (neither my holsters nor my mag pouches are legal, even though the mag pouches USED to be legal), I don't see any reason to worry if I'm dressing like I normally do.

IDPA isn't training (again, this is just my opinion, I don't see any need to yet again start up the "IDPA IS TACTICAL TRAINING!!!!11!!!" argument, so feel free to ignore my opinion) and is just another shooting game that's fun to play, so I use equipment that lets me play the game.

For IDPA, that means an OWB holster with a decent gunbelt and a lightweight vest.  (Along with some mag pouches.)   

With IDPA being all 10 rounds, 40 minor is a good option. It can be loaded to be vary soft shooting, plus you get a bigger hole to cut the perf. Doesn't seem like much, but at most matches I found I'd have a shot or two that it helps. And with the scoring being 1 second per point a shot or two can be a big deal. 

I like the shooters connection belt, it's a pretty reasonable option and it works. 

1 hour ago, Thomas H said:

IDPA doesn't allow AIWB, and I don't personally think that IDPA tests carry skills or tactical skills.  So, while I have on occasion used my carry gun in IDPA (it is my backup gun if my competition gun dies), since I can't use my actual carry method (neither my holsters nor my mag pouches are legal, even though the mag pouches USED to be legal), I don't see any reason to worry if I'm dressing like I normally do.

IDPA isn't training (again, this is just my opinion, I don't see any need to yet again start up the "IDPA IS TACTICAL TRAINING!!!!11!!!" argument, so feel free to ignore my opinion) and is just another shooting game that's fun to play, so I use equipment that lets me play the game.

For IDPA, that means an OWB holster with a decent gunbelt and a lightweight vest.  (Along with some mag pouches.)   

I get what you're saying.  I'm the last man you'll hear claim that IDPA has any sort of tactical training value.

But since I don't carry at appendix and my carry gun is the mid size version of my CO gun, it makes sense to me to shoot the match exactly as I conceal day to day. Sometimes I do it with my actual carry gun and sometimes with my competition gun.  The only change is to a holster that accommodates the longer barrel.

Doing it that way gives a few more reps at clearing garment and drawing from a close fitting, canted holster.

On 5/12/2021 at 9:31 AM, SGT_Schultz said:

I get what you're saying.  I'm the last man you'll hear claim that IDPA has any sort of tactical training value.

But since I don't carry at appendix and my carry gun is the mid size version of my CO gun, it makes sense to me to shoot the match exactly as I conceal day to day. Sometimes I do it with my actual carry gun and sometimes with my competition gun.  The only change is to a holster that accommodates the longer barrel.

Doing it that way gives a few more reps at clearing garment and drawing from a close fitting, canted holster.

That makes perfect sense to me.

The one vest that's legal and should be because you would not wear that as a CCW concealment garment,  is the Armadillo vest.

From the first time I saw one, they are too hot, too stiff, take off and they will stand on their own.  CompTac now own them.

• 2 weeks later...
45 minutes ago, RePete said:

You could use a Hawaian shirt, some people use 511 vest, I use a Woolrich vest but they are difficult to find as they are no longer made.

I guess there's probably no perfect option when the temperature gets about 90.

57 minutes ago, tbarker13 said:

I guess there's probably no perfect option when the temperature gets about 90.

You put the vest on to go to the line and when you are finished shooting you take it off.

It gets plenty hot here in AZ.  During those months when it is hottest, everyone at our IDPA matches does exactly like described by RePete.

As for vests being stiff and "standing on their own" . . . . that's an advantage when drawing from concealment.  The Armadillo vests (and some others) are perfect for shooting IDPA, but that's about the only practical use for them.

I've had my 5.11 vest for ten years, and the ONLY thing it has been used for is IDPA shooting on stages requiring a cover garment.

Put the vest on when you are "on deck", shoot the stage, and take it off after you unload and show clear.