Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Getting Back into IDPA - Vest & Belt Suggestions

JohnnyD

PCC is pretty interesting in IDPA.  For one thing, you have to deal with some awkward close quarters shots that are not common in USPSA. I like it and it develops some different skills.

On 6/5/2021 at 2:03 PM, 45 Raven said:

As for vests being stiff and "standing on their own" . . . . that's an advantage when drawing from concealment.  The Armadillo vests (and some others) are perfect for shooting IDPA, but that's about the only practical use for them.

That goes against the Founding Concepts of IDPA.

"Participation in IDPA matches requires the use of handguns, holsters
and other equipment suitable for concealed carry self-defense. With that in mind, and keeping the shooters' best
interests in mind, IDPA's founders established equipment requirements that are based on commonly available firearms
and gear, allowing individuals the opportunity to compete with minimal investment."

19 hours ago, RePete said:

and other equipment suitable for concealed carry self-defense. With that in mind, and keeping the shooters' best
interests in mind, IDPA's founders established equipment requirements that are based on commonly available firearms
and gear, allowing individuals the opportunity to compete with minimal investment."

And the referenced vests are sold by IDPA on the IDPA website.

Edited by 45 Raven

1 hour ago, 45 Raven said:

And the referenced vests are sold by IDPA on the IDPA website.

It doesn't change that it goes against the Founding Concepts.

I've been saying that they shouldn't be legal because they are too stiff and that you wouldn't wear them on the street for 10 or so years.

20 hours ago, RePete said:

It doesn't change that it goes against the Founding Concepts.

I've been saying that they shouldn't be legal because they are too stiff and that you wouldn't wear them on the street for 10 or so years.

I live in AZ.  I wouldn't (and don't) wear ANY vest on the street.  But when required in the course description I wear my 10 year-old 5.11 vest.

I shoot a CZ Shadow I with a Trijicon SRO optic on it.  And I download the 18-round magazines to ten as required by the IDPA rules. 

I don't do that on the street, either. 

But they have divisions in IDPA that allow a competitor to carry a more street-pertinent pistol, and anyone can shoot from a concealment garment of their choice (such as a tee shirt) as long as the garment fits the rule criteria.

It's true that when interpreted literally, some of these changes in IDPA might "go against" Founding Concepts.

But CO (Carry Optics) is the fastest growing division in IDPA today, so a lot of folks seem to be okay that the Founding Concepts have been "adjusted".

I won't even bring up PCC (Pistol Caliber Carbine) division!!

5 hours ago, 45 Raven said:

I live in AZ.  I wouldn't (and don't) wear ANY vest on the street.  But when required in the course description I wear my 10 year-old 5.11 vest.

I shoot a CZ Shadow I with a Trijicon SRO optic on it.  And I download the 18-round magazines to ten as required by the IDPA rules. 

I don't do that on the street, either. 

But they have divisions in IDPA that allow a competitor to carry a more street-pertinent pistol, and anyone can shoot from a concealment garment of their choice (such as a tee shirt) as long as the garment fits the rule criteria.

It's true that when interpreted literally, some of these changes in IDPA might "go against" Founding Concepts.

But CO (Carry Optics) is the fastest growing division in IDPA today, so a lot of folks seem to be okay that the Founding Concepts have been "adjusted".

I won't even bring up PCC (Pistol Caliber Carbine) division!!

Good points.

It's been many years since I shot IDPA. There was always this conflict over competitors using gear in the game that they wouldn't use on the "street." As I contemplate getting back into IDPA, I've pretty much decided that I'd only use stuff I would actually carry. But any time you introduce a timer and score sheet into a game, most people are going to look for any advantage they can get. I doubt many of the people shooting CZs and Glock 34s, etc. are actually carrying those guns for CCW.

So, shoot a G17 and kick their collective asses. Or not.

Stop worrying what they can do and just do what you can do.

Are you wanting to win against them, or yourself?

Shoot your game and see where it falls out.

• 2 weeks later...

The idea that you would carry on the street with a vest for concealment is ridiculous.  No one dresses that way now.  I often just use a shirt or jacket for concealment at IDPA matches, the same as I do on the street. In the winter when it's cold, wearing a jacket works great. In hot weather, I see many folks carrying under an untucked T shirt. 

Edited by Bowman

8 hours ago, Bowman said:

The idea that you would carry on the street with a vest for concealment is ridiculous.  No one dresses that way now.  I often just use a shirt or jacket for concealment at IDPA matches, the same as I do on the street. In the winter when it's cold, wearing a jacket works great. In hot weather, I see many folks carrying under an untucked T shirt. 

I've worn a wool sportcoat in the cooler months

On 6/10/2021 at 7:43 PM, RePete said:

and other equipment suitable for concealed carry self-defense..."

And therefore we can shoot a PCC with a 30 round magazine and have two additional 30 round magazines on the belt.  🙂

• 1 month later...

I use a 5.11 vest. I did make one modification. The left side pocket(actually 2 pockets) I assume are for mags. Not really good for Tac reloads. I brought it to a seamstress and had the two pockets sewn into one. Now it's nice and wide and works great.