Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is lack of ammo starting to hurt participation?

-JCN-

I've cut down my practice from 500 rounds to 250 once a week.  I have enough .22s to last me a year if I keep that up. I now shoot 2 Steel Challenge matches per month.  With winter coming I'll probably miss a match or two.  I can handle the 115s in the summer but 50 in the winter is too cold for me.

At Sunday's match a number of shooters stated they only had 5K of primers and would be giving up PCC for RFRO.  The local Wal-Marts have been selling lots of .22 ammo and it appears these guys have stocked up.

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

50 in the winter is too cold?! I guess cold is relative. Many of us here consider cold to be around freezing and bearable cold at 28 to 30 if not too windy. I consider unbearable cold to be temperatures in the mountains near the border of North Korea at 20 or more below that with wind chill would result in gangrene from frostbite after skin is exposed for a short time (and that was in the pre high tech clothing army).

FWIW, NSSF is estimating 8.7 billion rounds of ammo (all types) were made in 2018.

At a total guess, call 3/4 of that rimfire (I have no idea what the real breakdown is) and it seems there is capacity for making or importing 2+ billion primers in a 'normal' year..

Background check numbers for 2020 are probably going to come in at least 20 million transfers.

Every one of those buys just 100 rounds of ammo and there's 2 billion rounds right there. 

Latest guess seems to be ~450million firearms in the US.  Only 20 rounds each exceeds the annual ammo production...

On 11/17/2020 at 6:43 PM, Joe4d said:

well dont look at gun powder suppliers. Same thing is happening. Hodgdon now has its own, IMR, Winchester, Goex and recently added Accurate, Ramshot, and Blackhorn. Pretty much everyone but Alliant and imports..

Most of Hodgodon's powders are imported.

10 hours ago, shred said:

FWIW, NSSF is estimating 8.7 billion rounds of ammo (all types) were made in 2018.

At a total guess, call 3/4 of that rimfire (I have no idea what the real breakdown is) and it seems there is capacity for making or importing 2+ billion primers in a 'normal' year..

Background check numbers for 2020 are probably going to come in at least 20 million transfers.

Every one of those buys just 100 rounds of ammo and there's 2 billion rounds right there. 

Latest guess seems to be ~450million firearms in the US.  Only 20 rounds each exceeds the annual ammo production...

The majority of American gun owners don't shoot at all.

1 hour ago, SGT_Schultz said:

The majority of American gun owners don't shoot at all.

Yep, I was talking to some so called shooters and said I only shot 1k rounds this year with covid and a new baby and they looked at me shocked that I even shoot that much in any given year. I blew them away when I told them it's usually 6-8k and that's not much compared to some guys.

On 11/18/2020 at 6:58 PM, rowdyb said:

Covid has canceled the two Saturday USPSA matches near me, so even if I had ammo it wouldn't matter. Area 59 near Houston and APSC near Austin.

lame. through empirical testing, we have found that covid does not seem to be transmitted at outdoor matches. I know at least 5 shooters that have had it, and were shooting regularly up until they tested positive, and they all got it from close friends and family, and only gave it to close friends and family. so I'm shooting on saturday.

1 minute ago, motosapiens said:

lame. through empirical testing, we have found that covid does not seem to be transmitted at outdoor matches. I know at least 5 shooters that have had it, and were shooting regularly up until they tested positive, and they all got it from close friends and family, and only gave it to close friends and family. so I'm shooting on saturday.

Ultra lame

People leading with emotions instead of reason

I know a shooter that got it at an outdoor range.  Maybe even at a match as he shot one about the right time.

Far as I know nobody got it from him, but it is possible.  Has to be pretty rare though as otherwise USPSA Nationals would have been a super spreader event.

3 hours ago, shred said:

I know a shooter that got it at an outdoor range.  Maybe even at a match as he shot one about the right time.

Far as I know nobody got it from him, but it is possible.  Has to be pretty rare though as otherwise USPSA Nationals would have been a super spreader event.

Did they test positive or did they show symptoms? One doesn't have to mean the other. 

2 hours ago, Twinkie said:

Did they test positive or did they show symptoms? One doesn't have to mean the other. 

Both.  Had symptoms, then tested positive.  Spent a few days in the hospital.  Healthy dude beforehand.  We were doing movement drills in practice a few days before the whole thing went down.

31 minutes ago, shred said:

Both.  Had symptoms, then tested positive.  Spent a few days in the hospital.  Healthy dude beforehand.  We were doing movement drills in practice a few days before the whole thing went down.

Interesting. He got really unlucky I suppose. Hope he's doing OK now.

On 11/18/2020 at 8:58 PM, rowdyb said:

Covid has canceled the two Saturday USPSA matches near me, so even if I had ammo it wouldn't matter. Area 59 near Houston and APSC near Austin.

On 11/25/2020 at 6:56 PM, motosapiens said:

On 11/25/2020 at 6:57 PM, SGT_Schultz said:

Ultra lame

People leading with emotions instead of reason

We are locked down again here in Michigan until December 8th so all the USPSA matches and indoor practices have been cancelled.  The clubs just don't want to pay the fines, which are substantial or appear on the nightly news as "the gun club that broke the lockdown rules".  Yes, it sucks.

BC

28 minutes ago, BillChunn said:

We are locked down again here in Michigan until December 8th so all the USPSA matches and indoor practices have been cancelled.  The clubs just don't want to pay the fines, which are substantial or appear on the nightly news as "the gun club that broke the lockdown rules".  Yes, it sucks.

BC

You’ve got my sympathy BC. My family (parents and two siblings) live in Rochester Hills are getting tired of the restrictions and lockdowns. My youngest just texted me that he mulling about moving to Florida.

Anyway, one more week and it’ll be over. Hopefully, Michigan will get some sense of normalcy. Go Blue!

1 hour ago, Silver_Surfer said:

Some shooters here were talking about shooting single stack because small primers cannot be found. 

That has already happened with two of the shooters I shoot with.  A third bought a 45 PCC so he could conserve his 9mm ammo.

plenty of ammo and primers here with last match of year this saturday,,,  AND I am waiting for my Covid test results sitting home.
I do work for state so they will keep paying me. Hopefully its just a garden variety cold. 

Goals for winter.
Load all my brass, my shop is metal and godawful hot in summer.

Build/buy , trade, steel a straight wall carbine. 45, 350, 450,

Go shoot pins with ZZT !

8 minutes ago, Joe4d said:

plenty of ammo and primers here with last match of year this saturday,,,  AND I am waiting for my Covid test results sitting home.
I do work for state so they will keep paying me. Hopefully its just a garden variety cold. 

Goals for winter.
Load all my brass, my shop is metal and godawful hot in summer.

Build/buy , trade, steel a straight wall carbine. 45, 350, 450,

Go shoot pins with ZZT !

Mind blown here. When does it start(Matches) up again?

We have one season here and shoot all year around. 

On 11/25/2020 at 5:56 PM, motosapiens said:

I'm really thinking the window of transmission is small through my own experience. Two relatives got it, both from work and both while required to wear masks. For the latest case, we had a family dinner with on a Friday after they were presumably exposed at work the day before and none of us got it. They then went to another dinner Saturday night where nearly everyone got it and then on Tuesday found out about the coworker testing positive so they went into quarantine and both ended up testing positive when the results came in on the following Thursday which pretty much coincided with the symptoms. The only symptoms were a loss of smell and taste.

37 minutes ago, Intheshaw1 said:

I'm really thinking the window of transmission is small through my own experience. 

Wish it was bigger. Most people in my family have been trying to catch it for months. Gonna start licking doorknobs on truck stop bathrooms soon. The only ones that have got it so far are the ones that haven't left the house this year and shower with a mask on. The irony is lost on them though.

23 minutes ago, TonytheTiger said:

Wish it was bigger. Most people in my family have been trying to catch it for months. Gonna start licking doorknobs on truck stop bathrooms soon. The only ones that have got it so far are the ones that haven't left the house this year and shower with a mask on. The irony is lost on them though.

I'm at the point where I'm young and just want to get it over with as well. I figured I'd have gotten it by now since I haven't really changed how I live my life but I just can't get it.

Everyone I know who got it got it from somewhere they were required to wear a mask...