Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

X5 Legion accuracy

Cavy

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

From various sources... it looks like the original 320 X5 pistols were very accurate  while the Legion uppers do not shoot nearly as well. I just heard that someone who is a high round count 320 Legion shooter recently bought 4 320 X5 slides to replace his Legion uppers because their accuracy was poor. Barrel swaps don’t fix the issue, it relates to a change in the Legion slide. Any idea what is the difference?

Edited by cheby

4 hours ago, JatCarver said:

Where did he find 4 x five slides? Can you still get them?

I’m not trying to piss you off but Sig just had a sale over the weekend for complete slides with optics. I got a X-5 for $429, it already shipped. I would check they may still be on sale. 

• 3 months later...

Bumping this back since 1) I'm now fully invested in the X5L platform for CO and 2) probably going to switch my 9mm loading setup to my Evolution sometime this year, so switching loads would be convenient at that point. I am not particularly happy with the accuracy of my P320X5s; trying to punch out a B8 at 25yds is harder than it should be, and I am getting spread that does not necessarily correlate to what my sights are telling me. I am running 147gr handloads, which it appears may be the issue.

Is the current best bet still 124/125s at .356, driven fairly hot?

Edited by erwos

2 hours ago, erwos said:

I am running 147gr handloads

I had issues with 147gr until I got them up around 135 PF (higher velocities).  Went from a grapefruit size group (with a PF of about 130) at 10yds to about a tennis ball size group (with a PF of around 135).  I found 135gr and 124/125gr work better.  I imagine it has to do with velocity out of the Sig Legion/Original X5 barrel.  I have a buddy that has three barrels for two guns.  One Legion barrel shoots 147gr at low PF with unacceptable groupings, then he has one Legion barrel and one Barstow that was fit by a gunsmith that shoot 147gr bullets at a low PF with great groupings.  So everyone's results may vary.

I would try a couple of different load and powder combinations before investing heavily in powder and/or bullets (weight).

I am not the only person on the board that has had issues with 147gr bullets in X5 Legions, it has been documented fairly well.  They seem to work for some, and not so much for others.

I should have added that I need to restock on bullets, so switching to 124s isn't gonna be a big hit to me either. Just trying to plan ahead to make me more successful (or at least remove obstacles to my success!). :)

• 5 months later...

Bumping because I bought a legion this week and experienced the same accuracy/precision and barrel fitment issue. I got better grouping out of my issued M17 than my personally owned X5 Legion. I'm trying to figure out what the cause is... whether it is me or the weapon. I am now very tempted to get a barrel fitted from The Sig Armorer (on top of his competition trigger).

Here are the results of my zero range. I shot sitting and supported the weapon on the table and still generally bounced between 3-5" at 20 yards using 124 grain freedom munitions remanufactured ammo.

https://imgur.com/a/s2YrdYd

6 hours ago, Nebikinizer said:

Here are the results of my zero range. I shot sitting and supported the weapon on the table and still generally bounced between 3-5" at 20 yards using 124 grain freedom munitions remanufactured ammo.

https://imgur.com/a/s2YrdYd

What software are you using that draws the rectangle and circle on your groups?  That's cool.

Edited by LMS

1 hour ago, LMS said:

What software are you using that draws the rectangle and circle on your groups?  That's cool.

It is called “OnTarget Precision Calculator” and can be found at https://ontargetshooting.com

It’s really quick and easy to do. I just take a picture with my phone and it takes less than 30 seconds per picture to do on my computer when I get home. My only complaints are

1. It is PC only software so I can’t use it on my phone or MacBook. At the end of the range day I have to go home and then analyze my pictures. I’ve thought about downloading an iPhone app to get quicker feedback.

2. You can’t change the font size of the results. You can change the size and color of the lines so I don’t understand why the text has to stay so small. I’ll be reaching out to the company this week  about that.

Edited by Nebikinizer

1 hour ago, LMS said:

There is an app for Android (don't know about iphone) called RangeBuddy that will do a similar analysis.

I've only used it once but my initial impression is positive.

I'll bet there are other similar apps.

The accuracy with the P320 legion is marginal at best. Inevitably someone will chime in with how their particular gun is a tack driver. But I don’t think that’s the case with the majority.

I have had 5 different p320 legions and they all pretty much suck. Over time I’ve been able to develop a load that is good enough. But it’s still 4+” at 25 yards. 

I am having same accuracy experience. About 2 years ago when I first got a Legion I wanted to make a CO/PCC that would work in both. I was using 147 RN Blues. Accuracy in MPX was good, X5 was marginal. I did this test target so I would understand POA/POI at 10 and 25 yards.

Screenshot_20210926-200418_Gallery_resized.jpg

Edited by Chillywig

8 minutes ago, Chillywig said:

I always assumed using 356 bullets might tighten up the groups. Well tonight I shot some 356 berry 147s RN. This group at 25 yards looks very similar to the 355 147 RN blues 

20210926_191223_resized.jpg

I switched to .356 125 RN Blues  at about 135 PF. This combo was noticeably better that 147's but still not great. 

1 minute ago, AZ123456 said:

I switched to .356 125 RN Blues  at about 135 PF. This combo was noticeably better that 147's but still not great. 

I have 356 blues in 125 TC. And 356 Zero in 121JHP. How much better was the accuracy and what was the recoil impulse like compared to the ol softy 147s? 

20 minutes ago, Chillywig said:

I have 356 blues in 125 TC. And 356 Zero in 121JHP. How much better was the accuracy and what was the recoil impulse like compared to the ol softy 147s? 

I preferred the recoil impulse of the 125's especially with the weight of the Legion. I never measured actual group size but it cut the group size roughly in half for me.  After switching I could consistently put hits in the head box at 25 yards. Not the A but the whole head. This is shooting at a decent pace when the dot settled back onto the target.  Definitely acceptable for 95% if what you'd see in a match.  I'd try loading up some of the 125 if you already have them.  

Edited by AZ123456
Spelling