Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

X5 Legion accuracy

Cavy

2 hours ago, Chillywig said:

The 125TC 0.356 blues grouped up a lil tighter. ~3 to 4 inch vs ~5 to 6 inches with 147s. I was pushing them maybe a bit too spicy at 137 PF 

That's pretty much what I ended up with for accuracy as well. I played around with OAL and PF a bit but nothing else really improved it noticeably. 

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had 6 X5 variants.

First let me say that I've only reached A class in prod and limited with Glocks years ago.  I have been an avid bullseye shooter for several years and use a B8 target shot off hand from 25y for marksmanship training with my USPSA guns.  For reference I'm a mid/high 90's shooter with a Glock 17.

I owned one of the first X5's with the stainless barrels years ago.  It was extremely accurate with everything I shot through it.  Sold it when the upgrade BS started.

I later bought a X5 Legion and when they first came out and the accuracy was so bad that I sold it and went back to Glock.  They definitely changed something and it wasn't good.  I did notice that when hand cycled it went into battery easier than the original X5.  

About a year ago I decide to get back into USPSA (I'd been competing in other disciplines).  Remembering my experience with the Legion I found two used X5 OG's on gun broker and set them up as CO guns.  One is the stainless barrel and the other is a black barrel.  Both go into battery with pretension (the stainless is tighter), and need to be helped along when hand cycled with the 12lb spring.  Both are extremely accurate and I've shot several 99 and 100 scores on the B8 with iron sights and optics (SRO/DPP).

A few months ago in an effort to move my optic away from my ejection port I picked up two new X5 conversion kits.  After speaking with friends at AMU they said their service pistol team had been testing current X5 Legions and had found them to be competitive in stock configuration with the AMU M9 Beretta at 50y.  So I figured sure what the hell.

So, now I have 4 examples of slide assemblies in my possession, 2 old and 2 new, and a fitted BarSto.  I don't reload but have shot AA&A 147/124, Freedom 124/147, cheap 115, and a bunch of 124 NATO through all 4 slides.  All seem to be about the same.  Sometimes I think the OG's are a little more accurate (the difference of shooting a 97 instead of a 99).  There's definitely a difference between the 5 barrels I have.  The measurement from the front to the back of the barrel hood is longer on the OG stainless barrel and the BarSto.  The OG black and the newer barrels are the same.  As I've mixed and matched the slides and barrels I always find that the OG stainless and BarSto have pretension and all the black barrel have less (the OG black having the most).  Oddly I didn't see much benefit with the BarSto, I'd say it's as accurate as the rest of the barrels.

In closing, you can do some amazing things with a preloaded striker trigger.....

17 hours ago, ddc said:

I think that is pretty darn good. I might be able to do that at 50 feet, lol...

Shot from a sandbag, so not my achievement ;) It shows that the gun itself is pretty accurate, or at least more accurate than i thought. :) 

I shot a match yesterday and gun ran flawless - 2nd match I have used it in after having gun for almost 3 years. I was thinking about accuracy again last night after. I am running a 11lb recoil spring. I wonder if group sizes would change with the heavier factory recoil springs? 

10 hours ago, Chillywig said:

I am running a 11lb recoil spring. I wonder if group sizes would change with the heavier factory recoil springs

I ran the 11 lb springs for a year and grew to not like them so much. The lock up sucked especially as the spring wore out. I went to a 14 lb spring and run my ammo at a PF of about 132-135.  The gun seems to run much better. I did not see a noticeable difference in Accuracy in a practical sense; however, I did not run a bench test for accuracy in a side by side comparison. 

48 minutes ago, Akkid17 said:

Has anyone done a Jacketed vs plated/coated comparison. Mine seem to greatly prefer jacketed especially 147 JHP’s

I shot Blue Bullets 125RN and Everglades FMJ 124RN today. Surprisingly enough, the Blue bullets were significantly better. I will double check it again later this week.

8 hours ago, Akkid17 said:

Has anyone done a Jacketed vs plated/coated comparison. Mine seem to greatly prefer jacketed especially 147 JHP’s

I ran MG 121gr and 124gr when I switched from open.  Now shooting 124gr Blues.  No difference. 

Edited by echotango

I tried blues 147rn in 355 and 125tc in 356. Berry plated 147rn in 356. MG 124hp in 355. Zero 121hp in 356. Nothing shot really well. At one point I took my steel challenge ruger mark 4 out to shoot it the same day off same rest also using a 10moa rts2 to make sure I could shoot groups at 25 yards. 22 shoots fine. Legion meh

20210927_161359_resized.jpg

Since it's believed that the slide is the issue i am thinking of getting a different slide. It's impossible to find discontinued factory X5 slides anywhere. There are some companies, however,  who make their slides for the legion pistols. For example, Grey Ghost Precision and MWG Works. Any experience with them? Do they improve the accuracy?

1 hour ago, davsco said:

all you guys shooting for groups, you using red dot optics or iron sights?

Okay, I don’t have a X5 so my comment probably doesn’t count, but why?

All my guns equipped with dots shoot exactly the same accuracy as with irons. Just saying. 😬

Now shooting with a rest or bag certainly helps with sight movement. 

14 minutes ago, HesedTech said:

Okay, I don’t have a X5 so my comment probably doesn’t count, but why?

All my guns equipped with dots shoot exactly the same accuracy as with irons. Just saying. 😬

Now shooting with a rest or bag certainly helps with sight movement. 

older eyes like mine, shoot a little more accurately with red dots vs fiber optics.

15 hours ago, davsco said:

older eyes like mine, shoot a little more accurately with red dots vs fiber optics.

I too shoot CO these days because of older eyes.  

However, the gun’s accuracy is a function of barrel, lockup, and ammunition not what kind of sights are on it. 

Now my ability to make an “accurate shot” is a whole other issue. 

I am starting to believe that all this variance in accuracy when it comes to box stock X5 Legions, X5s, and X5 Max Sig P320s, has every thing to do with barrel to slide lock up.  I am curious as to what recoil spring and how old that recoil spring is with all the people who are having accuracy issues are using.  I would be willing to bet its something less than a 14# recoil spring.  Maybe something to check out if you are having accuracy issues.

I just purchased an X5 Max, and out of the box the lock up seems a lot better than any other Sig X5 variant I have purchased or shot previously.  I have no data yet in that I have just completed the drop in GG trigger and put a Romeo 3 XL on there.  I will know more today when I go to chrono some new ammo, and check accuracy.  I can make a direct comparison to a fairly new X5 Legion set up exactly the same.  

I do intend to put a Barstow barrel in that needs to be fitted during the off season, so there will be another data point for comparison down the road.

Edited by Boomstick303

56 minutes ago, Boomstick303 said:

I am starting to believe that all this variance in accuracy when it comes to box stock X5 Legions, X5s, and X5 Max Sig P320s, has every thing to do with barrel to slide lock up.  I am curious as to what recoil spring and how old that recoil spring is with all the people who are having accuracy issues are using.  I would be willing to bet its something less than a 14# recoil spring.  Maybe something to check out if you are having accuracy issues.

I just purchased an X5 Max, and out of the box the lock up seems a lot better than any other Sig X5 variant I have purchased or shot previously.  I have no data yet in that I have just completed the drop in GG trigger and put a Romeo 3 XL on there.  I will know more today when I go to chrono some new ammo, and check accuracy.  I can make a direct comparison to a fairly new X5 Legion set up exactly the same.  

I do intend to put a Barstow barrel in that needs to be fitted during the off season, so there will be another data point for comparison down the road.

Sounds good. Very interested in what you find out.

1 hour ago, Boomstick303 said:

My 3 Max's have the same accuracy of my 3 Legions.  All meh.  Good luck with yours. 

Edited by echotango

I was thinking about the sig's slide/barrel height above the grip and looking at a M&P I used to shoot. (how awesome will the tungsten infused M&P grip be) Then I popped the top off a G-lock and was thinking about the length of the individual lugs, their shape and how the lugs would hold the slide on the frame. The sig has short lugs and shortest total frame/lug length compared to these others.

Screenshot_20211006-231900_Gallery_resized.jpg

Edited by Chillywig

On 10/4/2021 at 9:22 AM, Chillywig said:

I tried blues 147rn in 355 and 125tc in 356. Berry plated 147rn in 356. MG 124hp in 355. Zero 121hp in 356. Nothing shot really well. At one point I took my steel challenge ruger mark 4 out to shoot it the same day off same rest also using a 10moa rts2 to make sure I could shoot groups at 25 yards. 22 shoots fine. Legion meh

20210927_161359_resized.jpg

I recommend a fitted Barsto, throated deeper to accept 1.15" OAL.  It got my 2019 Legions to good accuracy and either 125gr of 147gr Precision Bullets work well.  Off hand at 12-15 yards my Legion barrels were grouping 5" and with Barsto it's 1".  I don't shoot from rest because that's not how I play USPSA.  My Legion barrels rattle forward and backwards in the slide, not the Barsto.

53 minutes ago, Stician said:

I recommend a fitted Barsto, throated deeper to accept 1.15" OAL.  It got my 2019 Legions to good accuracy and either 125gr of 147gr Precision Bullets work well.  Off hand at 12-15 yards my Legion barrels were grouping 5" and with Barsto it's 1".  I don't shoot from rest because that's not how I play USPSA.  My Legion barrels rattle forward and backwards in the slide, not the Barsto.

i had 2 legions fitted with barstos by the sig armorer. Very marginal difference. In fact I think it was worse in some cases. 

IMO the p320 legions don’t lock up consistently.