Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

X5 Legion accuracy

Cavy

Just picked up a new P320 X5 Legion. Nice gun but I am not thrilled with the accuracy. It is O.K. but I really would have thought it would be better.

Does anyone know what the twist rate is? I don't see it listed in the specs.

I like to shoot 135 or 147 gr coated, not so much 125 or 115. Thanks

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know the twist, but both my plain x5 and legion x5 are noticable more accurate with 124g bullets compared to 147g and 150g (syntech). all factory ammo.

for me at 15 yards the difference is either a ragged hole with all the bullet holes touching, or with the heavier bullets you see the grouping open up and more of the holes not touching.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I agree with everyone else. I've had the best results in terms of accuracy with 124/125 bullets. But like you, I also like shooting 135s. What I found with those, The Blue Bullets 135s in particular, is if I drove them a little faster the accuracy tightened up. Not bullseye accurate, but sub 3" at 25yds, which gets the job done for USPSA type shooting. By driving them faster I mean above 135 power factor. I think the last time I shot them in a match where they were chrono'd they came in at around 137 power factor. 

I'm not happy with the accuracy of my legion.

My 9mm load is 147 Ibejiheads over WST at 130 PF.  Shooting from a bench and rangebag as a rest, at 15 yards my legion prints a 5" buskshot pattern.  The same ammo is 2" 10 shot groups in my other 9mm pistols, STI, Glock, M&P...

I have tried several factory loads in the legion, the best accuracy being hot 115 and 124, stuff that's 135 or 140+PF and is no where near as soft shooting as my reloads.   These are acceptable 2" groups.

At the advice from a good source I ordered and tested ibejiheads sized to .357 but saw no improvement in the groups.

I loaded some lighter weight bullets that I had available: 124g precision delta JHP , 130g ibejiheads RN, and 124g Berry's played RN.  These were all loaded with Tightgroup at various charges.  Out of these, the plates 124 at 140 PF were the best and only acceptable group at about 3", again at 15 yards. 

I expect my competition guns to be able to make upper A zone hits at 15 yards, this legion isn't cutting it

Edited by SJan

3 minutes ago, SJan said:

My 9mm load is 147 Ibejiheads over WST at 130 PF.  Shooting from a bench and rangebag as a rest, at 15 yards my legion prints a 5" buskshot pattern.

That is disappointing! But I don’t know that it’s typical. Have you contacted to SIG for their take; it may have to go back for a fix.

Legion and a couple of x-5's shoot 124/5gr bullets into 2" groups at 25yds.

Doesn't like 145/7 bullets

So I like the the 124's now!!! 

It's a 9 so how soft does it have to be, it's already soft. IMO

17 hours ago, Rich406 said:

In my experience the p320 legion shoots noticeably larger groups than the original p320 x5.  

You are not the first person that has said that. Any idea why that is? What is different?

On 4/14/2020 at 10:43 AM, Cavy said:

Just picked up a new P320 X5 Legion. Nice gun but I am not thrilled with the accuracy. It is O.K. but I really would have thought it would be better.

Does anyone know what the twist rate is? I don't see it listed in the specs.

I like to shoot 135 or 147 gr coated, not so much 125 or 115. Thanks

From the P320 X series owners manual:

image.png.2305bb76481ff6a2419a2a03aae9b0b2.png

9 hours ago, Rich406 said:

Max Michel posted a pic of his p320 on Facebook and interestingly it looks as if he has an X5 upper on a legion lower. 

8591B17B-6962-4DCA-8C39-FF12A40C21CD.jpeg

That actually looks like a regular polymer “large size” grip module with SC treatment. Notice the beaver tail shape and length? I know a couple Team Sig shooters that actually prefer the size and shape of the Large modules compared to the X modules. Even without the added weight of tungsten. Not sure though....just speculating on this picture. 

22 hours ago, lfine said:

Long shot - but anyone ever take a p320 x5 and switch out the grip to the heavier Legion one?

21 hours ago, s2000red said:

I did.  Pretty much drop-in.

Yep, no different than switching to any other grip. My FrankenLegion is now my back up.

1 hour ago, cheers623 said:

That actually looks like a regular polymer “large size” grip module with SC treatment. Notice the beaver tail shape and length? I know a couple Team Sig shooters that actually prefer the size and shape of the Large modules compared to the X modules. Even without the added weight of tungsten. Not sure though....just speculating on this picture. 

it’s a legion grip, you can tell by the color. 

1 hour ago, Rich406 said:

it’s a legion grip, you can tell by the color. 

Then he definitely took some material off the place where the webbing between thumb and forefinger meets the gun.  No ridges are there.   See the pick just above.

Edited by LMS