Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

X5 Legion accuracy

Cavy

FWIW I had a legion X5 and sold it because the accuracy was terrible

my original X5’s both shoot WAY better than any of the newer ones I have shot. I mean they are at a bullseye level of accuracy.

i shot this group offhand at 25 yards, with a 6MOA dot on top of one of my X5s. They both shoot the same, lights out.

load was Bayou 145’s over 3.0 gr of titegroup. I can’t remember the OAL right now I will have to check.

of course the one flyer hit bullseye 😂

349188B5-DF86-4A1E-AB26-8B40BF07BC08.jpeg

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having similar accuracy issues.  Did some testing this morning and was very disappointed in the results.  A Glock shooting the same variations of ammo did not have the same accuracy problems.  Comparing a Glock 34, Sig P320 Full Size, and A P320 Legion, the only thing I've been able to determine is 1) Sigs are picky when it comes to ammo 2)P320 FS is more accurate than the legion 3)the Glock seemed just as accurate or more than the FS.  I realize all guns will favor some loads over another but in my opinion it shouldn't be that much.  I've been invested in the Sig eco-system for that last 3 years but am strongly considering dropping them all to go to another platform.

Anyone else have any gouges under their barrel?  They aren't just wear.  I can feel them.  My full size P320 has A LOT more rounds through it and doesn't have these marks.  Could this be any indication of bad barrel lockup causing the accuracy issues?  Possibly from the take down lever, which is a goguns *thumb rest [generic]* BTW.  Guide rod or spring issues?  I'm using the stock guide rod with the 12lb spring.  Apologies if this is a stupid question.  I'm by no means a gunsmith.  I'm just trying to rap my head around the cause of the accuracy issues before getting rid of it.  I'm not understanding why some people have issues and others swear by it's accuracy.  

barrel.jpg

Edited by Nuncles

6 minutes ago, Nuncles said:

Anyone else have any gouges under their barrel?  They aren't just wear.  I can feel them.  My full size P320 has A LOT more rounds through it and doesn't have these marks.  Could this be any indication of bad barrel lockup causing the accuracy issues?  Possibly from the take down lever, which is a goguns *thumb rest [generic]* BTW.  Guide rod or spring issues?  I'm using the stock guide rod with the 12lb spring.  Apologies if this is a stupid question.  I'm by no means a gunsmith.  I'm just trying to rap my head around the cause of the accuracy issues before getting rid of it.  I'm not understanding why some people have issues and others swear by it's accuracy.  

barrel.jpg

That’s caused by the non captured guide rod bouncing around when you shoot. It’s worse with a tungsten guide rod and/or a 12lb spring. Overall it just looks bad, however it does beat up the takedown lever and over time it will eventually break.

1 hour ago, Nuncles said:

barrel.jpg

I have two X5's and they both look exactly like that.

Running uncaptured guide rods.

One Springer steel. One Springer tungsten.

Using 13 pound springs.

1 hour ago, Boomstick303 said:

I have noticed this too. It seems to be hit or miss on which P320s this happens on. 

I have no no idea what causes it. 

These hit or miss issues just rub me the wrong way.  I really want to love my sigs again but stuff like this makes it difficult.  I would be all for ditching the legion and just going to the full size but gambling on new purchases is just not my favorite thing to do.

43 minutes ago, ddc said:

I have two X5's and they both look exactly like that.

Running uncaptured guide rods.

One Springer steel. One Springer tungsten.

Using 13 pound springs.

Are you running the stock takedown levers on both of them?

I bought two of the original 320 X5's because of the tension  barrels. They both love 115-125 JHP.

I have shot legions and never got a good group at 25 yards. Leave it to Sig to eliminate the tension bbl.

It was the main point of the purchases for me.

8 hours ago, Nuncles said:

Are you running the stock takedown levers on both of them?

Stock for many thousands of rounds. Recently switched to Armory Craft.

The barrels looked like the picture long before I started using the AC version.

On 10/31/2021 at 10:56 AM, Trader said:

I bought two of the original 320 X5's because of the tension  barrels. They both love 115-125 JHP.

I have shot legions and never got a good group at 25 yards. Leave it to Sig to eliminate the tension bbl.

It was the main point of the purchases for me.

How can you tell which ones are original X5's. Since X5 is all over the legion slide.

3 hours ago, mrvip27 said:

How can you tell which ones are original X5's. Since X5 is all over the legion slide.

3 hours ago, mrvip27 said:

Press down on the barrel hood while in lockup. If it has movement it is likely  a newer model. The originals lock up and almost no movement.

My X5 Legion, Feb 2020 build date seems to like 147 Blue RN. 3.2gr sport pistol at 1.130" is getting 132PF and shooting 2.5" at 25 yards. For me that as good as anything I've ever shot, never been good at shooting groups. 135 Blues shoot about the same at 135 at 1.135". 

first six shots with the x5 legion i got a few months back, newly-mounted sro 5.0.  first was at just a few yards to make sure the optic was on paper, next five were ~15yds freehand.  this is federal american eagle 147 factory.

sig 320x5 legion, sro5, fed 147 first shots.jpg

Edited by davsco

• 1 month later...

I’ve been working on finalizing what ammo I’m going to use next year. Today when I was testing, I decided to take a stock legion along and see how it shot. I had forgotten how bad it was.

These guns just don’t like coated heavy bullets.

Shot from a rest at 15 yards. 

I’ve also attached a pic of the same ammo shot from a grayguns modified slide. Huge difference.

0E40D855-CD2C-41C3-AE8B-284D95941135.jpeg

A1171D70-6C05-4C37-A8EE-CD4581CCC2CF.jpeg

Edited by Rich406

The crazy thing is GG uses all OEM parts. So it shows that the gun hardware has the potential to shoot that type of ammo just fine….

that said, the legion will shoot lighter ammo, or fmj much better. But when you get a load it doesn’t like, it’s awful.

1 hour ago, Rich406 said:

The crazy thing is GG uses all OEM parts. So it shows that the gun hardware has the potential to shoot that type of ammo just fine….

They do TIG welding to add some meat for custom fitting of barrel, no?

what I’m not happy about the X Five platform (especially Legion slide) is that it’s POI drifts up to “4 at 15yards as it warms up from cold start.

I know another shooter who had the same (therefore sold it). Anyone else has this phenomenon?

Edited by jaep1911