Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Silicone Carbide Grit Size

Stage 3

Most of the paper used for grips is about 40 grit.  I like it because its aggressive.   You can buy the pre-cut paper for a lot of different pistols.  Check the usual online stores that cater to competition shooters.  Dawson Precision, Shooters Connection, Speed Shooters, PF Shooting.

What works for me was to go to a skate board shop and get a feel for the various board tapes they had. I got one that is to my liking and using paper templates for the parts of the frame that I want to be taped, I have what works for me....and it's removable with some effort.  A heat gun works well to get the tape worked into corners and curves.

• 1 month later...
8 hours ago, Superpipe9 said:

Do you guys like to use the 2 part epoxy or the JB weld putty stuff? Thanks

Putty would add too much thickness.

Original slow-cure JB weld, the stuff that is dark gray in color when mixed... and gives you a whole lot of working time.

Don’t use a 5 or 30 minute epoxy.

• 1 month later...
On 12/27/2019 at 5:34 AM, MemphisMechanic said:

Original slow-cure JB weld, the stuff that is dark gray in color when mixed... and gives you a whole lot of working time.

Here is another one I did and used JB weld this time around. Much easier to work with! 

588B6259-3257-432E-81BD-2B3FB6AFC67E.jpeg

On 12/27/2019 at 7:34 AM, MemphisMechanic said:

This ^

This is a 60/90 grit blend from Amazon over JB Weld 2-part steel epoxy.  It's actually mild enough for a carry gun.  I will likely sand it back down to the plastic, reapply the epoxy, and sprinkle 36 or some other really aggro grit.

Pro tip, a tiny bit of acetone mixed into JB Weld makes it very easy to apply.

1952055610_P-10carbide1.jpg.98b8fa639b37da36cdb512e629ffed99.jpg

Edited by SGT_Schultz

36/70 coarse from amazon. Jb Weld as my adhesive, I was even able to build up a palm swell on my lim major gun. Works great in wet weather, after it cured I had to knock off some rough edges but no big deal. If you do the palm swell watch for runs as it dries, I had to reform the swell as it was curing.

On 12/27/2019 at 7:34 AM, MemphisMechanic said:

I saw JB weld at lowes today. Am I wanting the 15 minute stuff?