Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Silicone Carbide Grit Size

Stage 3

4 hours ago, Sarge said:

I saw JB weld at lowes today. Am I wanting the 15 minute stuff? 

Slowest you can get. The original, which I think is an hour or so???

You want time to make it look perfect, then set it aside to cure overnight... Not to have to rush as it’s beginning to harden. 👍

A tip: it can be difficult to get the very thick jb weld to go down smooth. Just get it reasonably smooth, sprinkle a heavy layer of silicon carbide over it all, tip the piece to allow the excess to fall off, and now if you see any ridges or high spots you can lightly press them down. I like to give a light touch to every square inch of what I am doing to ensure that the SC is fully embedded.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, echotango said:

I have been using JB Weld 50139 Plastic Bonder. It has worked great and has flex so it does not become brittle. 

https://www.walmart.com/ip/J-B-Weld-50139-Plastic-Bonder-Body-Panel-Adhesive-and-Gap-Filler-Syringe-Black-25-ml/194555717

X2 on the jb weld plastic bonder. I’ve used a few others and a little bit of flex makes a big difference. 

On 2/23/2020 at 3:32 PM, obsessiveshooter said:

A tip: it can be difficult to get the very thick jb weld to go down smooth. Just get it reasonably smooth, sprinkle a heavy layer of silicon carbide over it all, tip the piece to allow the excess to fall off, and now if you see any ridges or high spots you can lightly press them down. I like to give a light touch to every square inch of what I am doing to ensure that the SC is fully embedded.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Or you can add a few drops of acetone to the epoxy as you mix it to reduce its viscosity to the point where it applies easily without running.