Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

DAA primer pro collator

cvincent

the durability question isn't one I'm worried about. I'm north of 50,000 primers run through this machine now and other than some accumulated grime from dirty primers nothing is wearing out or even showing signs of wear. The plastic looks the same now as it did out of the box. 

When you need to unscrew the V1 or V2 plate to do maintenance on it, are you suggesting that the screws screwing directly into plastic are just going to be perfectly fine?

In my experience with similar plastics, those holes begin to enlarge after a few repetitions.

I’ve only run 5300 primers through mine and it seems like I’ll soon need to tear mine down and clean and lubricate everything.

When this was new, those last 100 primers fed fine, albeit a bit more slowly than when filled. However at the 3K mark, those last 100 were having trouble fully making it to the ramp. I’m sure that will go away once I clean and lube, but that is the point I’m making about longevity due to the materials used and the manner in which the screws attach the plate to the bowl portion. Those holes will strip.

• Replies 558
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, Posvar said:

I had to mess with all kinds of speed and angle variations on my RF100 and now it is 110% but a little slow. Sometimes there are two primers left when it times out. I can trust it now and don't have to watch it which is nice. I too am glad I cancelled my order for DAA and went with the Dillon. That being said there are guys out there with the DAA running well and I am sure they will continue to fine tune it, etc. 

I got an RF100 after buying a 650 press many years ago.

I did the recommended adjustments to it, like the PP, but never got it to run 100%.

I moved on.

SJC

@DD78 I don't need to undo the screws to clean or lube the PP, I just use a Q-tip to go into each slot and to the do the ramp and a cloth to wipe inside of the bowl/drum. So I can't speak to the durability of the holes with the screws being constantly removed and installed. 

On 1/29/2020 at 8:21 PM, BigEar said:

After a few days tested of the collator, I had observed that if you throw in only one hundred primers, it will takes forever to fill the tube.  The last few primers will just keep wondering around and around.  

I put two hundred in and the first hundred stopped two times may be due to the speed of the primers moving pass the light.  I have to stop the machine and clean the channel with alcohol then rubbing it with a silicone cloth as I don't have the dry silicone spray at the moment.  The primers passing through the channel faster but at the end of the few primers again keep wondering around and around just doesn't want to fill the tube.  

I guess in order to get the machine working, I need to keep the bowl have at least three hundred primers at all time.  If you have less, the last few primers will just wondering around.  

It's sorry to say, I took out my PAL filler and loaded two tubes in 10 seconds each.  

I'm unsure what to do yet as I lived in Canada.  It'd already costed me more because of the custom tax and duty fees.  If I'm going to send it back, it will be another charge for postage. 

Will try to use the Blaster Advanced Dry Lube with Teflon and give it a few more test before making my decision.

My decision had been done and returned the collator.  I try my best to make it works for me but I just don't have time to keep it in high maintenance.  I did tried all the fixes but doesn't work for me.  In the mean time I go back to my PAL Filler.  It works for me 100% so far (6 years). 

On 1/21/2020 at 7:00 PM, cvincent said:

We already have a $370 primer filler that may or may not work. Now we get a plastic $200 filler that needs post it notes to maybe work sometimes. What We need a $500 unit that works 100%. I’m willing to pay if it works 100%. As most high volume and/or automated reloaders will as well.

The pickup tubes work close to 100% of the time, and they are cheap (relatively speaking).

Been fighting with the "primer pro" or as I refer to it.....a giant piece of garbage for a while.  Save your money and do it by hand.  Too numerous problems to list here.  It is a piece of plastic and is not worth .02 cents.

27 minutes ago, corny said:

Been fighting with the "primer pro" or as I refer to it.....a giant piece of garbage for a while.  Save your money and do it by hand.  Too numerous problems to list here.  It is a piece of plastic and is not worth .02 cents.

maybe you're doing something wrong as plenty of others have had great success with it. It's an invaluable tool to me and my reloading sessions.

Worked on it several times, primer collator comes loose and primers clog it up, jams on the feed ramp.  The barrel pops up causing it to have primers get under it.  Have to clean the ramp every couple hundred rounds.  The  primer pusher has to hit the primer two to three times to get the primer to feed into the hole.  Plastic where the tubes are magnetically held in place are not precise enough to keep it centered so it clogs up.  Shall I go on.......

Piece of garbage

Mine continues to work well.  Have used CCI, S&B, Fiocci non-tox and Federal.  All have run without any adjustments after the initial setup.  Have not done the primer ramp scoring with the needles because I haven’t needed to.  

Federals are the slowest to fill a tube though.

20 hours ago, hurley326 said:

maybe you're doing something wrong as plenty of others have had great success with it. It's an invaluable tool to me and my reloading sessions.

I wouldn’t say plenty. Basically nothing but problems from what I’m reading

On 2/6/2020 at 7:03 PM, hurley326 said:

If you owned one of these you would have a better understanding of the mechanism. It’s an extremely simple machine. There is no excessive or complex parts to get messed up.

good then someone make me a better one.

On 2/6/2020 at 5:43 AM, doublealpha said:

HI All,

My  point is that we have all been lubing cases prior to reloading them for decades. Some use case lube, others  use silicon or similar for this process.

You must agree that some small amounts of this case treatment enters into the primer pocket, right? (assuming deprimed brass of course).

So – my claim is that we have ALREADY been applying a little silicone to primers – without any ill affect. I therefore I don’t see what the concern is about.

I don’t think a theoretical concern can be considered valid (in other words, it remains unfounded) until there is some case study to prove it.

Saul

Maybe this has been discussed a lot already (haven't gone through every post), but I was thinking that I've often just sprayed hornady one-shot onto clean unprimed cases. Sometimes I just reach up over the case feeder bowl and just blast everything in there for a second if things slow down at the press. I would say I've not NOTICED any primers not going off for mysterious, possibly lube related reasons. If a primer doesn't go off, it's usually due to me fiddling with the strain screw on a revolver. 

I don't know what's in Hornady One-Shot, if it's silicon spray or whatever, but thought I'd add that thought to the thread.

I wouldn’t say plenty. Basically nothing but problems from what I’m reading

To be fair, people tend to come online to complain about a product more than support it. They have sold thousands of these so this forum both good and bad is a very small sample size.

The solution to get these working perfectly is very easy and laid out in detail in this thread and videos on YouTube. The only thing that I will concede is that perhaps it’s not good if your using Winchester but anything else it works great after the slight adjustments.

Frankly the most effective adjustment is using the pine sole on the ramp and feed plate which takes seconds and then the one time mod to the ramp with needles to scratch it up a bit. I haven’t heard anyone who has done these and is still having issues. It’s all people who refuse to do those steps. If we had 10-20 people all chime in that they did each of these mods and still are having significant issues then the arguments would be more valid. If that becomes the case then they have every right to be pissed.

I do agree it’s annoying to have to do any mod on a new product but we are gun guys, since when don’t we tinker with every firearm related purchase we make? Guys out there buying brand new 2011 magazines, tossing the guts to add grams guts and then paying a gunsmith to tune them rather then them working out of the box as they should. Guys replacing the trigger, sights, springs and even barrel sometimes on brand new glocks. Getting this thing to work fine literally took me less than 60 seconds once every 5k+ primers, I can deal with that for the time it saves me. It’s literally just lubricating the plastic same as we lube our guns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

3 hours ago, hurley326 said:

To be fair, people tend to come online to complain about a product more than support it. They have sold thousands of these so this forum both good and bad is a very small sample size.

The solution to get these working perfectly is very easy and laid out in detail in this thread and videos on YouTube. The only thing that I will concede is that perhaps it’s not good if your using Winchester but anything else it works great after the slight adjustments.

Frankly the most effective adjustment is using the pine sole on the ramp and feed plate which takes seconds and then the one time mod to the ramp with needles to scratch it up a bit. I haven’t heard anyone who has done these and is still having issues. It’s all people who refuse to do those steps. If we had 10-20 people all chime in that they did each of these mods and still are having significant issues then the arguments would be more valid. If that becomes the case then they have every right to be pissed.

I do agree it’s annoying to have to do any mod on a new product but we are gun guys, since when don’t we tinker with every firearm related purchase we make? Guys out there buying brand new 2011 magazines, tossing the guts to add grams guts and then paying a gunsmith to tune them rather then them working out of the box as they should. Guys replacing the trigger, sights, springs and even barrel sometimes on brand new glocks. Getting this thing to work fine literally took me less than 60 seconds once every 5k+ primers, I can deal with that for the time it saves me. It’s literally just lubricating the plastic same as we lube our guns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

From what I saw with the unit I received compared to what you describe in various posts, it's difficult to believe we're talking about the same piece of equipment.  Like many people posting here, I actually purchased one of these and saw for myself that's it's a cheap piece of junk that doesn't work as promised.