Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

DAA primer pro collator

cvincent

On ‎2‎/‎6‎/‎2020 at 8:43 AM, doublealpha said:

My  point is that we have all been lubing cases prior to reloading them for decades. Some use case lube, others  use silicon or similar for this process.

You must agree that some small amounts of this case treatment enters into the primer pocket, right? (assuming deprimed brass of course).

So – my claim is that we have ALREADY been applying a little silicone to primers – without any ill affect. I therefore I don’t see what the concern is about.

I don’t think a theoretical concern can be considered valid (in other words, it remains unfounded) until there is some case study to prove it.

Saul, It is impossible to disprove a negative.  I, like you, cannot see how anymore than microscopic amounts of silicone could get into the primer compounds using your method.  Even if it did I can't imagine it would have any effect over time.  Silicone is not a corrosive element.  it is inert.  Plastic surgeons put it into human bodies.  Just let the worry warts worry. 

• Replies 558
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Ocrrhbow said:

Saul, It is impossible to disprove a negative.  I, like you, cannot see how anymore than microscopic amounts of silicone could get into the primer compounds using your method.  Even if it did I can't imagine it would have any effect over time.  Silicone is not a corrosive element.  it is inert.  Plastic surgeons put it into human bodies.  Just let the worry warts worry. 

I'm not worrying.  I'm going off of the manufacturer recommendations.  But dont take my word for it. Here is what CCI had to say about spraying silicone. 

"We have never heard of lubricating primers for any reason. These are designed to be ready for use. With that we would not advise spraying them with anything as this can alter performance.

Thanks,

Cody B./Technical Service Rep.
CCI/Speer/Alliant
2299 Snake River Ave.
Lewiston, ID 83501 

The silicone or "lubing primers" was the least of my issue's with the primer pro.  And yes I purchased one and tried to make it work. Like other said, it had all sorts of problems.  It's cheaply made and mine did not work. Upside down primers, jammed tray, slow feed on the ramp, plastic materials, etc. I totally agree with what others on here have stated "ITS GARBAGE". Definitely does not work as advertised. 

Of course a manufacturer is going to tell you not to spray them with silicone. I promise you they have not done extensive testing to determine the effect that silicone has on primers. From a liability perspective there is absolutely zero reason for them to say go do it, even if they were 99.9999999% sure it wouldn't hurt anything. 

Ask a gun manufacturer if we should use reloaded ammunition in their firearms, yet how many of us are doing just that against their recommendation. 

5 hours ago, Furrly said:

Didn't see it on there web pages, where they offering it as a feature item? 

Could be a made to order item.  They had it on display and quoted a price when I asked.  If you're interested, I'd try calling them direct.

4 hours ago, Maximis228 said:

The ONLY person telling you to lube primers is the creator of this product. Literally the only person ever I have heard say this before.

That alone speaks volumes.

me being one of the most vocal on this thread in support of the product, Ironically agrees with you on this. I don’t even know why Saul is suggesting this. It’s not even needed as lubrication of the ramp and also of the disc tray have been sufficient bough to solve the problems with the machine. Spraying primers is stupid and unnecessary! 

1 hour ago, hurley326 said:

me being one of the most vocal on this thread in support of the product, Ironically agrees with you on this. I don’t even know why Saul is suggesting this. It’s not even needed as lubrication of the ramp and also of the disc tray have been sufficient bough to solve the problems with the machine. Spraying primers is stupid and unnecessary! 

It solves the problems with Winchester primers. 

you’ve mentioned a few times about how you think most people complaining don’t own a primer pro. That said, you’ve clearly not run the primer pro with any of the problem primers. The difference is dramatic, and the frustration is real. 

I've run the Primer Pro with Winchester small rifle (all I could source up here right now) for a buddies Major ammo. Those are some filthy primers. Never really noticed that before. I did a test with 300 of them in my Pledged machine, they ran fine. But they did leave debris in the machine, more than even the cheap Chinese primers I use for some practice ammo. But the next batch of S&B I ran through went fine as did the Ginex and Federal for my next batches. I've passed 70,000 primers run through this machine. I had 2 upside down Ginex the other day, but again I had loaded some into the top of a tube by hand and could have screwed that up as I was more focused on the jam I had in the 1050. The plastic still isn't showing any wear or tear. 

On 2/24/2020 at 8:10 PM, hurley326 said:

To be fair, people tend to come online to complain about a product more than support it. They have sold thousands of these so this forum both good and bad is a very small sample size.

The solution to get these working perfectly is very easy and laid out in detail in this thread and videos on YouTube. The only thing that I will concede is that perhaps it’s not good if your using Winchester but anything else it works great after the slight adjustments.

Frankly the most effective adjustment is using the pine sole on the ramp and feed plate which takes seconds and then the one time mod to the ramp with needles to scratch it up a bit. I haven’t heard anyone who has done these and is still having issues. It’s all people who refuse to do those steps. If we had 10-20 people all chime in that they did each of these mods and still are having significant issues then the arguments would be more valid. If that becomes the case then they have every right to be pissed.

I do agree it’s annoying to have to do any mod on a new product but we are gun guys, since when don’t we tinker with every firearm related purchase we make? Guys out there buying brand new 2011 magazines, tossing the guts to add grams guts and then paying a gunsmith to tune them rather then them working out of the box as they should. Guys replacing the trigger, sights, springs and even barrel sometimes on brand new glocks. Getting this thing to work fine literally took me less than 60 seconds once every 5k+ primers, I can deal with that for the time it saves me. It’s literally just lubricating the plastic same as we lube our guns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I'm one of the people who'd tried all the mod but doesn't work and returned it. 

I just received the Primer Pro this week.  CCI worked ok and Federal did not work at all.  I tried a little dry teflon lube in the bowel and that did not help.  I then tried the shims mod and that seems to do the trick.  Federals will now fill up the tube in around 50sec after the mod.  I will have to monitor for flipped primers to be sure.

Finally got the primer pro to work, I had to file down the triangles on the orange disc a bit to get it to work. I ran almost 2000 primers through it and not one flipped primer.

Now I need to figure out how to get it to put 100 primers in the tube instead of 90.

Ran out of magtehcs (which were fine) and switched to winchester - only loaded about 10 tubes up till now (in 1 sitting) but didn't have a single flipped primer and I can't say that it's slowing down due to gunk buildup yet.
Before switching to Win I had given it a thourough cleaning and "pledged" it.

No complaints at this stage.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/24/2020 at 3:33 PM, The Donald said:

Same here, $19.75 to ship a defective product back. Did not even have it for a week. Just wasted my time fooling with it

Same here!! to those of you that have had great luck with it, I'm happy for you. I'm not apposed to doing some adjusting and fiddling. But I spent week and many phone calls and still had nothing but problems. And for DDA to say they won't pay shipping even one way on a product with this many problems is not very good customer service. There answer was we have 1000s out with no problems!! That is great for the people that have one of those!! I have one that has a problem and that is the only one I give a damn about. I really felt that DAA would stand behind this product when I bought it, but that is not the case. Just my .02  JD   

On 1/20/2020 at 12:16 PM, Nevadazielmeister said:

So, far all of the people complaining about their Dillon RF100, here is a sample video of what mine does. I only had to adjust the tilt of the unit and then a minor adjustment to the inlet cover (not the main cover) a couple of years ago: 

Just in case memories are short.  The Dillon works perfectly and even better, Dillon will tune them personally for your type of primer, if you are having any issues. This falls under the "no B.S." guarantee. 

Yeah I'm a RF-100 fan, have defended them many times on this and other forums.  Sure they take a bit of tweaking to setup correctly, but once set I rarely change them, one setup for LP one for SP.  Yes they are expensive, but to me they are worth it.  Lot's of detractors due to cost and setup, but I find them indispensable when loading on a 1050.

I didn't really want to jump on the bash DAA bandwagon (as I don't use the DAA primer filler), as they did provide (or license from Rick?  not sure) probably the best consumer level bullet feeder on the market.  It needs a bit of tweaking out of the box as well, but when it's set up and going, it just plain works.  I also have the automated brass marker, which is a miss afaiac.  Much like some of the comments here, it was/is a product rushed to market too early imo, more of a garage project vs a finished product. :(.  Won't get into details here, I've already commented on it in other threads.

Edited by 78Staff

Picked up one of these and have been using the method of adding silicon to the primers via cardboard box as per DAA's video. It seemed to solve most of the issues. It's still slow however at 2min per tube, wont keep up to the press at 1800rph. 

What is this shim mod? I've searched most of this thread but I admit not all of it. Will it possibly cause upside down primers? That is the one positive I can say about this thing is I haven't had any upside down primer although I only ran 4k or so.

Won't be selling my RF100 anytime soon, mine actually works really well and I only get about 1 in 1000 upside down with it. The problem I have had with the RF100 is the electronics failing often. Had to replace them twice in the last 30k rounds at a cost of around $90-100 cdn with shipping since Dillon likes to charge $40-50 to ship a small package to Canada when their cost is around $12.

I'm hoping that between the two machines I will always have one that works...

Edit: Just installed the V1 disc as I only use CCI primers. Night and day difference, filled the tube in 30seconds! 

Edited by JatCarver

I got one of these to replace my RF100 as I couldn't stand the tin sounding rattle the thing makes ALL the time when it's running. 

I've been pretty happy so far, it only came with the V2 plate though and it wouldn't feed ANY federal primers out of the box, after reading through this thread and tearing it apart I went with the shim mod, instead of using post-it notes I used pieces of blue painters tape to see if that would help any and it works like a champ now. I've loaded around 3500 primers in the last week with it and haven't had any issues. No upside down primers and no feed issues until it gets down under 50 or so primers. It feeds super fast if I keep around 200-300 primers in the bowl, if I get any more than that it is pretty slow feeding.

On 12/28/2019 at 12:48 PM, Kema said:

Can't fill a single tube without 3-6 primers on wrong way. Just cancel your orders.

Found food grade silicone from my O-ring stash and they are now sliding without problems.

I'm having the exact same issues, pissing me off!  I opted to use my Vibraprime instead.  I am waiting for DAA to send me a new disk and primer chute smh~  Instead of 6 primers upside down, its more like 8!!  

That's the one thing I can say good about mine is I haven't had one upside down primer in ~9k rounds.

I've been doing the silicon thing as shown by DAA with a cardboard box 1k at a time(just use a little, I over did it once and it made the problem worse). Also I clean the chute every 2k with rubbing alcohol and its been running ok. I tried cleaning the chute with silicon and it made it worse, perhaps I used too much. I haven't seen any issues with the silicon and ignition and don't expect to as its such a small amount that actually gets applied to the primers.

Overall I would rate this product 3 out of 5 stars. Took lots of fiddling to get working ok(ish). The little arm that pushes the primers over on the tube sometimes deforms the primers and it wont allow the primer to drop down the tube. If almost never actually puts all the 99 primers in the tube on its own. It often leaves one or two on the bottom of the chute, not really a big deal thou.Plus have to mess around with the silicon and cleaning the machine periodically. 

Compared to my RF100 that took very little tuning/fiddling to get working 100% and takes practically zero effort to keep it that way it's more of a PITA for sure. The problem I've had with the RF100 has been as mentioned easier in the thread electronic breakage, however its a easy fix just kinda expensive especially to non-USA folks.

Not sure if I would buy it again or just get another RF100.

When I saw this product come out, I was really excited about it. It seems primer fillers in general are finicky, but I have been holding out on this hoping they come up with a better fix. At this time it's too risky of a purchase for me, especially with DAA requiring you to pay to return a unit that doesn't do what it's supposed to. 

PAL filler isn't finicky at all, and works 100%.  It's just a little slow because you have to dump the primers then flip them, and also hold it while it works.  But even with crappy unplated  Winchester primers, which seem to be the most problematic, it fills a tube in about 15 seconds with zero upside down.  I load ten tubes at a time then knock out 1k rounds on the 1050.  After that, I'm ready for a break anyway.

6 minutes ago, ltdmstr said:

PAL filler isn't finicky at all, and works 100%.  It's just a little slow because you have to dump the primers then flip them, and also hold it while it works.  But even with crappy unplated  Winchester primers, which seem to be the most problematic, it fills a tube in about 15 seconds with zero upside down.  I load ten tubes at a time then knock out 1k rounds on the 1050.  After that, I'm ready for a break anyway.

I forgot about my Pal filler. Yes they work great. 

I recently started using a batch of ammo I made several months ago, using Winchester primers, and silicon spray to lube them. So far I’ve had 25-30 dead primers. Could it be the silicon spray? Maybe? I’ve never had this scale of bad primers before. I’ve shot ammo that used silicon on the primers with no issues before, so I dunno. 

Saul sent me a V2 disc way back and it's not 100% with Magtech SPM primers. Failure rate is about 3% and it's very slow.

Well run out of Magtech and bought Fiocchi SP and they seem to work well with V2 disc. 

I am just too lazy to fill these manuall and autodrive needs constant feed so not returning the thingy. Still I feel that this is overpriced and tolerances are not there.