Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

DAA primer pro collator

cvincent

51 minutes ago, hurley326 said:

Do you have one? Reason is, I hear what your saying but I can actually confidently say my sample size is more than enough. There is literally only 2 plastic surfaces that have the ability to be “gunked up” and those are EASILY AND QUICKLY wiped with a little pledge. The fact the surface where the primers come in contact with is so simple as a piece of plastic, it allows me to say It doesn’t matter if it’s 5,000 or 50,000. In 5,000 primers I have had to do one quick application which took me only 30 seconds if that.

The only part you have a valid point about is I’m using cci and federal. If I was using Winchester then perhaps it would need to be cleaned more. But we also clean our guns when we shoot them around 5,000 rounds or at the very list give them a quick rub down or spray with oil. Maybe with Winchester you might have to do it every 2,500 idunno but I just don’t see it as a huge pain in the ass. Not saying this is you, but most of the people complaining are speculating rather than using it real world.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

You think these initial functionality issues right out of the box are going to be the only issues with this thing once you have a realistic use case level of use on it? Put some real "miles" on it and then report back on how good/bad the experience has been after you run 100K plus through it.

I can tell you for a fact that I have used a Dillon RF100 for many years and at least 150K of primers through it with very minimal issues. 100% of the primers through my RF100 have been the "dirty" Winchester primers as well. I clean it MAYBE once every other year and even then its usually because I am board and have nothing else to do. Do the primers get log jammed as they are feeding once in a while? Sure. Does it require an excessive amount of cleaning, lubing, adjusting or fiddling to keep it running properly? Absolutely not.

• Replies 558
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You think these initial functionality issues right out of the box are going to be the only issues with this thing once you have a realistic use case level of use on it? Put some real "miles" on it and then report back on how good/bad the experience has been after you run 100K plus through it.

I can tell you for a fact that I have used a Dillon RF100 for many years and at least 150K of primers through it with very minimal issues. 100% of the primers through my RF100 have been the "dirty" Winchester primers as well. I clean it MAYBE once every other year and even then its usually because I am board and have nothing else to do. Do the primers get log jammed as they are feeding once in a while? Sure. Does it require an excessive amount of cleaning, lubing, adjusting or fiddling to keep it running properly? Absolutely not.

If you owned one of these you would have a better understanding of the mechanism. It’s an extremely simple machine. There is no excessive or complex parts to get messed up.

This doesn’t require as you put it “excessive amount of cleaning” I told you it literally took me seconds. You don’t own one so it doesn’t surprise me as to why you can’t understand what I’m saying. If you did, then you would see what I’m talking about. It’s a slide and a plate. Think a slide at the playground and a kitchen plate. That’s it. Simple to clean or lubricate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Well, I had one and tried all the fixes, except scoring the feed ramp.  It didn't work.  And I had zero confidence that if I got it to work, it would keep working and last a reasonable amount of time considering how it was built.  You're correct that it's a simple mechanism.  If it were made from quality parts it probably would be a nice device, and probably work great and last a long time.  But it's made from cheap, delicate parts.   That little rod that works the hammer is thinner than a paper clip.  The "hammer" is a thin piece of plastic that probably weighs a fraction of an ounce.  It's like buying a tool at the Dollar Store and expecting it's going to work as well or last as long as a quality Snap-On tool.  It won't.  So if you did get yours to work, that's great.  That doesn't change the fact that it's a cheap piece of junk.

The same thing occurred with the debut of the RF100.

I had one and I got tired of screwing with it.

Sold it for a loss and that's the only piece of dillon reloading equipment I've ever gotten rid of.

I couldn't live without my dillon presses.

I tried all of the primer fillers, settled on the PAL and have been very happy with it.

I would like to have another unit that fills tubes while I'm loading and if the PP can do that reliably(albeit slowly) without worrying about upside down primers, I'll give it a try. 

Of course, I'll be waiting for some more positive reports on the PP before ordering, as I'm in no hurry because I have a Rolls Royce in the Garage !

SJC

how many threads and comments are there on tuning the RF100? lots. I don't see any of them being as obnoxious as the ones directed at this product. My RF100 sits on my bench gathering dust, I used it for years, constantly having to mess with it to get it to work somewhat okay, but it absolutely wouldn't run Federals or CCI after awhile, no idea what changed, I'd get 6 or 7 upside down primers a 100. Ended up if I was loading match ammo, I'd use my modified Lee hand priming unit made to hold a DIllon tube, and a vibratory tumbler to make it load the tubes. 12 seconds a tube (once all primers flipped), but that meant I still had to futz about and do only that. Then I got the FA tube filler as I got rid of the vibratory tumblers, and it works mostly, but it also requires tuning, cleaning and quite often it jams depending on the primers used, and again, I have to spend time only loading tubes. Now I have the PP and since hitting it with Pledge twice, it runs tickity boo. I had one upside down primer yesterday, a Ginex one, and I've loaded 42,000 rounds since getting it. I'm not even sure that upside down primer is the fault of the PP, as I had some issues with the primer slide on the 1050 and it could have been flipped while I was messing about with that, or when I put the few primes I pulled out of the plate into a tube, I might have not done it right by hand. The plastic hammer is showing no wear that I can see, nor do the teeth on the drum that activate it. 

3 hours ago, Kema said:

I have now loaded about 2000 Magtech SPM primers and failure rate is about 1%. I am receiving S&B SPM and want to see what happens with those. Plate is V2.

That failure rate is on the high side. I've run about 3.5K magtech and didn't have a single upside down primer (after dialling things in) - you might need to get the tension on the screws just right. Too tight and it fills too slowly, too loose and you might get an upside down primer.

Another update.  

Since I received the primer pro, I've run 5300 CCI 500's through it as I was loading ammo.  These were all brand new primers, run through a single time.  

The good:  zero flipped primers.  

The bad:  the output onto the ramp has become extraordinarily slow.  I haven't cleaned it at all, so I'll do that.  I'd say it was about the 1500 primer mark that I began noticing it slow down.  

I'm going to run CCI small rifle primers through it next, however that's not going to be soon since I have so much 223 brass to prep.  I'll probably run somewhere in the neighborhood of 3-4K through it of those so I'm hoping that I still don't experience any flipped primers.  

Verdict:  Would I buy this again?  The best answer I can give is it all depends.  

If you have an automated press and are running 2k every session, you'll want to at least wipe down the ramp after the first 1K.  This is assuming you're running CCI's and the machine doesn't shoot out any upside down primers.  

If you're like me, and you do 500 rounds in a session, perhaps 1K on the weekends if you have nothing else to do, then this will meet your needs perfectly.  

My concerns with this is the longevity of the machine.  As many others have pointed out, the plastics used have that "cheap" feel to them, so if I wind up needing to remove the V1 plate to clean/lube, the screw holes are going to strip out eventually.  This isn't a matter of if, but when.  I also didn't do the sewing needle modification to the ramp.  The reason being that I still want to test this out with rifle primers, and if I start getting upside down primers, I want to be able to send this back.  The one thing I haven't seen is any indication that if you do modify the ramp and are still not satisfied, will it be taken back and a refund be issued?  

Now for the constructive criticism:  

I think the idea was great for this piece of gear, however I think rolling this out to beta testers would have been a better approach.  For example, I would have sent out units to people who use every different brand of primer, and for each of those brands of primers, I'd have a machine in people who load like I do, as well as people who are running automated presses.  A lot of the kinks would have been worked out prior to releasing to the general public.  I know from Saul's replies in this thread that he did a fair amount of testing, but as we've seen it missed taking into account a few different variables.  Obviously food for thought for the next product release.  

Saul, my advice to you, take it or leave it is I would explore the uses of some different plastics, or materials, and after doing internal testing, send them out to people willing to beta test.  The idea is fantastic, and the design is great, however the materials don't seem to be up to the task of meeting the demands of the various types of primers on the market, as well as the high volume needs of reloaders with automated presses.  I'd try to get the beta models into the hands of people who are going to run primers through the units one time, and in high volumes.  

Anyhow, hopefully within the next month I'll be ready to load 223 so that I can test mine out a bit more.  If it doesn't jam or flip primers, I'll likely keep it and just deal with cleaning it.  

the durability question isn't one I'm worried about. I'm north of 50,000 primers run through this machine now and other than some accumulated grime from dirty primers nothing is wearing out or even showing signs of wear. The plastic looks the same now as it did out of the box. 

A friendly reminder that discussions of buying and selling products are restricted to the Vendor Tents and Classifieds (for those who qualify and are selling personally owned items).  Any other types of discussions that involve sales, market research, or the like will be removed.

Let's keep this thread open for those who want to discuss the DAA primer pro collator.

15 hours ago, DD78 said:

Saul, my advice to you, take it or leave it is I would explore the uses of some different plastics, or materials, and after doing internal testing, send them out to people willing to beta test.  The idea is fantastic, and the design is great, however the materials don't seem to be up to the task of meeting the demands of the various types of primers on the market, as well as the high volume needs of reloaders with automated presses.  I'd try to get the beta models into the hands of people who are going to run primers through the units one time, and in high volumes.  

I wonder if Delrin would work & if it's too expensive.

6 hours ago, edison said:

I wonder if Delrin would work & if it's too expensive.

Delrin would be a good choice, although significantly more expensive than the cheap plastic used for the PP.  It can be machined to close tolerance, is dimensionally stable, and is durable.  It also happens to be what was used for the PAL filler.  That has an aluminum handle and Delrin body.

2 hours ago, ltdmstr said:

It also happens to be what was used for the PAL filler.  That has an aluminum handle and Delrin body.

And in under two minutes, The PAL can be turned over and used for large primers.

If the PP could be used to load Small and Large primers, I would've been on the list.

SJC

On 2/6/2020 at 6:41 PM, shoots100 said:

The same thing occurred with the debut of the RF100.

I had one and I got tired of screwing with it.

Sold it for a loss and that's the only piece of dillon reloading equipment I've ever gotten rid of.

Did you ever send the RF100 into Dillon to get it fixed? I also tried "screwing" with it and since March, 2019 I was able to get it running pretty well, until finally I was getting a lot of problems with flipped primers right before they fell down into the primer tube. This happened right after my video I posted earlier in this thread. 

I sent it in on January 29, 2020 via UPS. I received it yesterday, February 10, 2020. This was less than 2 weeks turn around time. I included a letter telling them how I had screwed up some of the items and asked for a cost for those parts to replace. I mean, I did bent the primer filler tube myself trying to figure out the problems. I admit it. However, I received what appears to be an almost new unit and it runs my Winchester Small Rifle primers perfectly, albeit a little slower. Again, Dillon seems to stand behind a lot of their products and I am glad I went with the Dillon RF100.  

I can see that Saul is trying to get the kinks worked out for the Primer Pro, but I think there are some who are upset that they seem to be the test cases. Usually test subjects get some form of compensation, right?

12 hours ago, Nevadazielmeister said:

Did you ever send the RF100 into Dillon to get it fixed? I also tried "screwing" with it and since March, 2019 I was able to get it running pretty well, until finally I was getting a lot of problems with flipped primers right before they fell down into the primer tube. This happened right after my video I posted earlier in this thread. 

I sent it in on January 29, 2020 via UPS. I received it yesterday, February 10, 2020. This was less than 2 weeks turn around time. I included a letter telling them how I had screwed up some of the items and asked for a cost for those parts to replace. I mean, I did bent the primer filler tube myself trying to figure out the problems. I admit it. However, I received what appears to be an almost new unit and it runs my Winchester Small Rifle primers perfectly, albeit a little slower. Again, Dillon seems to stand behind a lot of their products and I am glad I went with the Dillon RF100 

I can see that Saul is trying to get the kinks worked out for the Primer Pro, but I think there are some who are upset that they seem to be the test cases. Usually test subjects get some form of compensation, right?

I had to mess with all kinds of speed and angle variations on my RF100 and now it is 110% but a little slow. Sometimes there are two primers left when it times out. I can trust it now and don't have to watch it which is nice. I too am glad I cancelled my order for DAA and went with the Dillon. That being said there are guys out there with the DAA running well and I am sure they will continue to fine tune it, etc.