Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

MOS or Milled slide

Hunter1998

14 hours ago, tbarker13 said:

Are the MOS plates aluminum? That could make a difference.

No, they are steel, but they aren't very thick so there's not a lot of thread engagement. The threaded holes in a milled slide are deeper, and when done right the optic is secured by the milled pocket and the screws only keep it from coming out vertically, rather than taking up the shear loads. 

Whether the MOS system is "good enough" is debatable and probably depends on the application, but I think there's no question that a milled slide is more secure, when it's done right. I base that on my career in durability testing as well as being a machinist, and putting my own milled/RMR Glocks through a lot of abuse in the dojo, training classes, and practice. 

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Yondering said:

No, they are steel, but they aren't very thick so there's not a lot of thread engagement. The threaded holes in a milled slide are deeper, and when done right the optic is secured by the milled pocket and the screws only keep it from coming out vertically, rather than taking up the shear loads. 

Whether the MOS system is "good enough" is debatable and probably depends on the application, but I think there's no question that a milled slide is more secure, when it's done right. I base that on my career in durability testing as well as being a machinist, and putting my own milled/RMR Glocks through a lot of abuse in the dojo, training classes, and practice. 

I don't doubt it, based on my own experience of overtightening screws in an aluminum plate on my CZ. Wasn't paying close enough attention and managed to strip the screw holes. Found out the hard way when the optic flew off the gun during a stage run.

Edited by tbarker13

Ooh, that's a bummer! 

I picked up a Canik TP9SFx a few months ago; that one has aluminum mounting plates as well, but they're fairly thick and have steel thread inserts. I haven't mounted an optic on that one but the plate design looks better for screw retention than the MOS system. Those inserts (basically a Helicoil) may be a solution for your CZ plate? 

On 8/25/2019 at 12:55 PM, 11MM said:

Sheepdog,

Honest question, how does milling keep the threads from stripping?

If your machinist is good, the optic is press-fit into the slide. There is no gap at all. My PPQ has a .001” interference fit.

As the gun recoils the screws/dowels with a plate type setup are the only things holding the optic into place.

With a milled slide it’s more like an iron sight pressed into it’s dovetail.

Anecdotally, optics have been said to last longer with a properly milled slide. I have 5-6,000+ on a DPP, which is well above where many of them have failed

6 minutes ago, bigtimelarry said:

Yeah, but what about all the guys that say it sits lower in the slide... what, like a  1/4 inch.. LOL..

What about it? That’s not the only reason (or even the most important) to do a milled slide but it is one advantage.

12 hours ago, Yondering said:

What about it? That’s not the only reason (or even the most important) to do a milled slide but it is one advantage.

Exactly. Might not be a huge difference. But there is a difference.

2 hours ago, B_RAD said:

Is that an advantage?  I doubt it. 

At some point, being closer to the slide is an advantage.  I don't know what that point is. On my G19, with co-witnessed sights, I think it makes a difference.

Milled is better. Less wear on the optic, better presentation, more natural sight alignment or whatever you want to call it. 

There aren’t 100 dots out there to be switching around all the time. Pick one you like and get the slide milled. 

2 minutes ago, Honeybooboo said:

Milled is better. Less wear on the optic, better presentation, more natural sight alignment or whatever you want to call it. 

There aren’t 100 dots out there to be switching around all the time. Pick one you like and get the slide milled. 

What am I supposed to do when a cool new dot comes out? 

7 minutes ago, tdp88 said:

What am I supposed to do when a cool new dot comes out? 

Sell the old assembly and buy a new one. Clearly the new gear is going to increase gains far more than any amount of practice with outdated gear. Milled is a more solid mounting system and way more importantly aesthetically pleasing to me. You want to look good when you're shooting, right? 

• 1 year later...

Yeah, I know this is an old thread, but now it concerns me, so it's time to revive it.  I have a G41 slide I want to put an optic on.  But, I'm not 100% sure which optic just yet.  Is there anyone out there milling a Glock slide for a plate system like the MOS?

Also, who are the preferred sources these days to get a slide milled?

Thanks all.

• 1 month later...
On 11/12/2020 at 2:30 PM, Cuz said:

Yeah, I know this is an old thread, but now it concerns me, so it's time to revive it.  I have a G41 slide I want to put an optic on.  But, I'm not 100% sure which optic just yet.  Is there anyone out there milling a Glock slide for a plate system like the MOS?

Also, who are the preferred sources these days to get a slide milled?

Thanks all.

I am currently looking at the Agency Optic System or AOS for my G19. Thinking about getting a G19 Gen 3 slide milled by them while retaining pristine the OEM slide with matching numbers.

There must be someone out there who has already gone the AOS cut route who could comment. 

http://www.agencyarms.com/optic-cuts

48 minutes ago, Paul49 said:

I am currently looking at the Agency Optic System or AOS for my G19. Thinking about getting a G19 Gen 3 slide milled by them while retaining pristine the OEM slide with matching numbers.

There must be someone out there who has already gone the AOS cut route who could comment. 

http://www.agencyarms.com/optic-cuts

Just by looking at it, I'd send my pistol without hesitation if I had a Glock.  It looks to be very well thought out and even better than CZ's OEM plate system which is about the best I've seen so far.

I think there's several threads with user reports in pistol-forum.com

• 2 weeks later...

I get it if you already have the gun and want to add the optic...

But otherwise I can't see passing on a factory setup.  Liked the 17 MOS so much I bought a 34 MOS yesterday!  The MOS plates work well and if I decided to sell it, MOS has better resale value than a non-factory cut slide!  :)

another option is go with the mos, but get an aftermarket plate. This is what I have and their explanation below. Forgive me, but I’m not able to post the hyperlink...

The CHPWS V4 Series of adapter plates has evolved over the past five years because the OEM mounting plates are the weakest link in the Red Dot System.

The new MIL/LEO V4 Series addresses the mounting hardware while retaining our industry leading thread engagement.

All new V4 plates will feature our Patent Pending replaceable stainless steel T-Nuts and stainless steel Torx® head screws which are used to mount the RDS (Red Dot System) to the V4 plate giving you the ability to replace the mounting hardware without replacing the entire plate.

The V4 Series retains it’s industry leading six to seven full revolutions of thread engagement for maximum retention.  The secret to retaining MRDS’s on pistols is not the material a plate is made from – IT’S THREAD ENGAGEMENT!!!