Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

MOS or Milled slide

Hunter1998

Having shot the EGW dovetail, Suarez's L-mount and having OEM slides cut, I prefer cutting an OEM slide.  As previously mentioned, i think the fit and finish can be better (depending on who preforms the cut) and the customization in refinishing, while adding cost, adds a bit of pack separation that cannot be found with factory MOS guns.  Either way, if you know what optic you prefer, then getting a slide cut is a good solution.  But if you want to remain non committal as my ex would say... then a plate system is an obvious choice.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By milling the slide you are married to one optic, or at least on thread design. Ive been running with the MOS platform since day one with a Vortex Venom. So not the most premium of optic and haven't had an issue holding zero. 

• 1 month later...

I've always preferred to go with an optic mounted directly to my slide - without a plate.

Part of this, I'm sure, is related to having an optic fly off an aluminum plate while at a match. My fault -  I had over-tightened it and stripped the screw hole. Either way, though, I prefer the optic to be as low as possible on the slide.

• 5 weeks later...

Go with the plates - I've shot literally every red dot and they all break at some point - the only one still going is the SRO.  I say that to offer that you never know what you'll want to throw on there.  All of the companies are coming out with new stuff regularly.