Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which Vihtavuori Powder

cbrussell

Shooting Sig X5, 5 inch barrel in Carry Optics. Looking for a minor load with a 124 JHP Evergreen Bullet for a power factor of around 130 utilizing a Vihtavuori powder. Trying to decide between N320, N330 and N340. Any recommendations for an accurate load. 

Thanks for the help.

I'm assuming you are meaning the Everglades 124 JHP??   N320 is the way to go as it's super clean and accurate.  3.9gr at 1.125 OAL to start should put the PF around what you are looking for....

Edited by LtdShooter

N320 is by far the most common.     N330 was specifically designed for 9mm.  I've loaded it in the past with a 124 gr and it is

a clean soft powder, but I can't say it's better than N320, and you use roughly 25% more.   

Shooting sig xfive for carry optics as well using 147gr blue bullets with n320 3.3gr mixed brass, federal small pistol primer 1.115oal. 132PF at magnus cup 1 level 3 very accurate and consistent load I like it very much 

124 EG with n320 4gr 133pf 1.115oal a little bit sharper feel than the 147 but still accurate 

Edited by Gviz

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

N320 is ideal. Ive used N310 with a 124g and while its nice and clean. You have to work up slow. Pressure builds fast with N310. It will make Minor PF ok 130 etc, but if you go too much more you will flatten primers. 

Thats why most/all recommend N320 it fills the case well, a double charge will usually spill over making it obvious. Well with 124g anyway. Plus its more forgiving of a grain either way :) 

N320 is pretty much the sweet spot for Minor 9mm. Troublefree to work up a load, pretty small amount of powder to get good pressures - unless you like the recoil impulse of N330 better. N340 is definitely too slow, and you need more than is good for you.

N310 is a bit scary. No room for error at 9mm minor PF levels.

• 3 weeks later...