Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Use of Barrels

The match director at a local club that I shoot monthly matches at will not allow barrels to be used to conceal targets.  His reasoning is that the expense to dispose of the barrels in the future, once they have lead in them, will be a problem.  Has anyone heard of this being an issue?  I would think that it would take a lot of seasons for the barrels to be shot enough to need to be replaced.  Even then is lead contamination even an issue with them?  I want to approach the board about changing this.  Without using barrels to hide targets, it really makes for a boring match.  This club has great potential with everything else it has going for it.

2 hours ago, Corrado_kid said:

We built these at our club so we don’t have to use as many barrels. They’re 6’ high and can be used as “legal” walls so they can’t be shot under 

01F5735D-105F-4177-88FB-6698786A6BB2.jpeg

Nice, I presume that the legs are the same width as a target stand ?

5 hours ago, Corrado_kid said:

We built these at our club so we don’t have to use as many barrels. They’re 6’ high and can be used as “legal” walls so they can’t be shot under 

Great Idea!

6 hours ago, Corrado_kid said:

I'm liking that...
Doesn't have the ability to hide targets the way barrels do(such that they get looked over), and would take a few extra target stands, but it looks like they would be really easy to move/set up, as well as not taking up much storage space.
Could also use those in conjunction with other walls to make some interesting layouts.

5 hours ago, Harpo said:

I'm liking that...
Doesn't have the ability to hide targets the way barrels do(such that they get looked over), and would take a few extra target stands, but it looks like they would be really easy to move/set up, as well as not taking up much storage space.
Could also use those in conjunction with other walls to make some interesting layouts.

You could make them solid out of coreplast but then the wind would prob blow them over during a match 

been using the same barrels for over 8 years.  Most bullets don't penetrate , cut a hole on the down range side

if one does penetrate it willeather spin out or can then be removed. most bullets bounce off. 

Make the barrels so that they wont hold water.( holes it bottom and top.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Staple a noshoot to the barrel and angle the barrel so it hangs off the side from the shooter’s viewpoint.

Then you can still use barrels to block off targets without them getting shot. The same way we use noshoots to keep people from hitting ports in walls.

Every other club just lets you shoot barrels. We have ones with dozens of holes that are still in service from 10 years ago.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

5 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

we have ones with dozens of holes that are still in service from 10 years ago.

Dozens? we have barrels with hundreds (probably thousands if you count shotgun pellets) of holes and they just keep going. I Know most of our barrels were old and beat when I started 12 years ago, and almost all of those are still being used every month.

On April 21, 2019 at 11:22 AM, GBertolet said:

I have witnessed several times, plastic barrels being shot near the side, and the bullets are heard whirling around inside for quite a while, before they are spent. Pretty amusing.

Down south we call that the "spin cycle". Always gets a grin. 

• 1 month later...
On 3/7/2019 at 5:44 PM, Corrado_kid said:

Like to learn more about these. May steal this idea!

• 1 month later...

Blue barrels last a very long time.  The white ones get brittle and crack if left outdoors too long (on the plus side, then they can be mashed into pieces and thrown away easier).

Bullets will skip off them which can be a problem depending on your range, and in freak conditions, 'spinners' can come back with significant velocity, so cutting a slot out of out the backside is done in places where they get shot a lot.

• 2 months later...
On 4/21/2019 at 11:22 AM, GBertolet said:

I have witnessed several times, plastic barrels being shot near the side, and the bullets are heard whirling around inside for quite a while, before they are spent. Pretty amusing.

I've been shooting USPSA since 1979 and I had this happen to me for the first time on a stage at Pasa Park last weekend.  I almost stopped to listen,

but didn't.  After I finished the stage my squad mates asked if I had heard the bullet spinning around inside the barrel, they were all amused as well.......

On 5/2/2019 at 9:27 AM, barry said:

Have seen a bullet ride the top rim of a bbl and get spit back and hit shooter. Left quite the mark. I put them rim down.

Have never seen this happen in 40 years of competitive shooting, but it's a good point to put the barrels rim down.

Getting to the original post about not using barrels on stages.   I'm not 100% sure, but I think we have had non-metal 

barrels used in competition as barriers at Tri County Gun Club in Polo, IL since I started shooting.  Like someone else

posted, if the barrels get shot up, then we cut them in half and use them as trash barrels.......