Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Use of Barrels

Our barrels have been in use for quite a while, as far as getting rid of them, it really shouldn’t be an issue since the barrels don’t soak up any lead. Simply dump the lead out and give them to someone who melts it down idk. We just cut them in half and take them to the dump.

To add, we also constructed some vision barriers about 6” tall made of a corrugated white plastic material and they work great as replacements for barrels. I’ll try to snap a pic when I’m out at the range next.

• 1 month later...

There’s other ways around this. We build walls with the basic frame on a 2x4 for the legs. This way we can raise and lower them to hide targets if needed. Not having barrels for stages suck but isn’t the end of the world. You can build barrel like walls. 

I can't see any lead problems down the line with barrels . We use them all the time and I don't think we ever shoot them . The members at my old club have shoot the hell out them I guess it doesn't matter to them that it's not allowed .

I think there is a different reason. His house his rules .

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
On 9/21/2019 at 11:18 AM, Sparky said:

I'm not 100% sure, but I think we have had non-metal 

barrels used in competition as barriers at Tri County Gun Club in Polo, IL since I started shooting. 

I just spent the weekend hauling those same barrels around. Every one of them had hundreds of holes, but they still do what I need barrels to do.

• 1 month later...

I don’t know how you wear out a barrel. However I was in the plastics industry for over a decade and I can attest to not wanting a plastic barrel off of a range for recycling. Especially if they have any lead at all in them like shot. It creates an extra step most recycling processes are not equipped to handle. Plastic grinders don’t like lead and even if they did (and believe me they don’t) now I gotta get the shot and fragments out of the regroup game HDPE? Yeah, ain’t gonna happen. They make a decent root barrier though when cut into 10” tall rings if you’re planting shrubs in a planter and like to put flowers around them, just bury the top just 1” below grade.

• 3 months later...
On 6/8/2020 at 3:14 PM, usmc1974 said:

How the hell do you wear out a plastic barrel? We've been using the same ones for 20 years. And they still work just fine.

Wear out a plastic barrel,, that is funny!!lol

Agree!  Poor excuse for not wanting to use them.  They are a tremendous help is stage building.

• 1 month later...

I would pick my battles. There are many ways to hide a target other than barrels. Barrels are bulky and can become a cut hazard after being shot over time. They are bulky to haul around and store. 
I have seen many lacerations from barrels over the years. Use something lighter and safer. 
hazardous disposal is probably a local issue.