Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Division progression

Siemens2

New to USPSA and going to be dedicated to it this winter and into the season here. Shooting production to start with, and want to know what your progression as a shooter was along with your goals before moving divisions if you did that.

So for me. Finally joined USPSA this year. Next is to get classified. Finally I want to be a B level before moving to a different division.

9 minutes ago, Siemens2 said:

I want to be a B level before moving to a different division.

"B" is usually considered the great graveyard of USPSA.

Took me a few years to get to B, and here I remain    :(

Hoping to get to A though, in a couple more years   :) 

New to USPSA and going to be dedicated to it this winter and into the season here. Shooting production to start with, and want to know what your progression as a shooter was along with your goals before moving divisions if you did that.

So for me. Finally joined USPSA this year. Next is to get classified. Finally I want to be a B level before moving to a different division.

In the words of Stoeger "B class is where shooters go to die and never leave".

I myself started 2 years ap with production and dabbled around trying to find a division that "suits" me. Settled on limited major .40 because Limited minor is [emoji1785].

Last year I competed in a lot of majors and culminated the season with nationals finishing in B class. This year I'm focused on Limited Major but trying to hone & grind my fundamentals to seriously compete in B class at Nats this year.

Refine your fundamentals constantly and B class is easily attainable. Keep refining them, through dry fire & live fire, and even higher levels can be achieved. Good luck and kudos on committing to the sport seriously

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I was wondering the same thing. Made A in pcc my first year  in uspsa but it looks to be a serious climb up from here at the very bottom of A class.

I would like to gain more practical pistol skills, especially those that would translate to 3 gun pistol, which is pushing me to consider a production switch at some point. Not sure when is the right time to make the jump.

On 1/17/2019 at 7:12 PM, Siemens2 said:

I really want to focus on one division until I become proficient. Bouncing from division to division will not help me in the long run. The allure of a red dot is strong, but I open is pricey.

Carry Optics is much less pricey, although still not cheep.

Started in Production Aug '16, after 6mos shot a few matches Lim Major, went back to Production, made B year two, started shooting CO in the winter that year, made B in CO just into year 3. I may dabble in SS, sometime soon.

I think making A in Pro and CO is feasible if I get back to practicing.

I started in production and shot for a year and a half...Made B...then all my friends switched to Limited, and being the follower I am i followed suit and glad I did...love Limited...classified A at the first match i shot in Limited (classifier match).  Eventually, due to my slowly failing eyes, I will jump to Open...probably next year.

I recommend moving divisions as soon as you know you'd rather be in a different one. It will be hard to make progress with a pistol you'd rather not be shooting, in a division you'd rather not be in. If you are having fun, you'll be more likely to apply yourself to your performance.
If you are shooting production and already feel inclined to move to a high cap division, go for it. All that reloading will make it harder to learn the speed aspect of the game, imo.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Nothing supercharges your development as a shooter quite like changing divisions and guns constantly!

It's a proven formula.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Theres a big difference between figuring out the division you really want to be in and changing, and just switching divisions all the time. No one is advocating for the latter.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

Started in limited with a G34 because i was drawn to basepads and magwells but quickly realised shooting minor was a disadvantage so switched to Production. Had a goal of sticking with 10-rd minor until I got to A class. Took a class and was given the wisdom that if you want to progress fast and learn how to call your shots, go to open and shoot a dot. So I made A shortly after class and got a red dot and started to play in Open. If you want to shoot as fast as you can push yourself then jump in the deep end. Whatever you choose, if you want to get better stick with a division and give it a season. As you build your fundamentals, the difference in divisions is not that big a deal to overcome. 

I started in Limited minor because I had an M&P setup for IDPA ESP and thats were it fit. Made it to the top 20 classification list of B class. Switched to Limited Major with an STI Edge and made M in about 4 months.

Shoot whatever makes you happy and will keep you shooting, wether that is chasing the heat in whatever division brings the most locally, or what ever fits your fancy for speed or accuracy, etc. 

I started out in carry  optics classified B from the gate (61%),not really knowing what was going on in the sport. At the end of my first season, i took an RO class and everything clicked. I decided to switch to limited/major for better points per hit. Had to figure out how to shoot with two eyes open moved from C to B and on the brink of A class. I started listening to Steve Anderson’s pod casts and bought his dry fire book (Refinement and Repeition). The book consists of classifier skills that you build upon to get to where you want to go. 

• 4 weeks later...

I love the 1911/2011 platform so I actually started in Single Stack. I got convinced hicap is where all the cool kids play so I moved to Limited and jumped to Open a VERY short time after by listening to all my friends. I learned that I’m not a personal fan of the “dot” so I went back to Limited. I guess the point is do what is the most FUN for you