Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Division progression

Siemens2

2 hours ago, elguapo said:

Why have you decided to move if you haven't even started?

I shot production sparingly last year, and I want to devote the time to learning and stage planning.

i don’t currently have anything chambered in 40, and the cost of open is not in the cards.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/14/2019 at 2:06 AM, JonasAberg said:

Over here, production is most popular so that's what I chose, as it pushes me harder to improve. It's more fun competing against a bunch of people than shooting Classic by yourself or against one or two people at best.

Yup

Plus 1911s are not my thing

3 minutes ago, WeldBoy said:

trying to understand the power factor, Is it the bullet weight? 

Bullet weight x velocity divided by 1000 = power factor

ex. 124 Gr x 1087 FPS = 134,788 divided by 1000 = 134.78 pf 

6 hours ago, WeldBoy said:

trying to understand the power factor, Is it the bullet weight? 

The rulebook will answer that and almost any other question you might have.  It's even free for downloading if you do a quick google search

Or you could have just searched "uspsa power factor".

Edited by elguapo

Just got my first classification in B yesterday shooting Limited Major! I’m thinking A is very possible for me as two of my first four classifiers were 77% and 79%. Of course, I’m sure others have fallen into this trap of thinking before too. I’m sure I’m not one of the first to start relatively decently, but I’ve regularly been placing around 80% of club matches and being pretty competitive in Limited. Of course, it’s the “off-season” for a lot of the better shooters, so maybe my results are skewed. 

When I got my Limited gun (TSO) a couple months back I saw absolutely no appeal in shooting Open, but I’m finding myself drawn to it more and more as I progress. I’m hoping to at least make A in Limited before I switch, but I’m seriously considering buying a Czechmate as it’s a relatively cheap way to try out Open and some of the stuff for my TSO would work on the same gun. I’ve heard a lot of benefits in shooting a dot versus irons too, which makes it even more appealing. What do you guys think?

Edited by tacomandood

Do it.  Open is the most fun division.  From my experience switching from Prod -> Open and then trying Iron sighted guns a few times after, it does seem like the speed at which you shoot Open does make you faster with Iron sighted guns.  Although it can also make you a little more sloppy with your shots, which could be bad if you're shooting minor.  Again, this is anecdotal information, but something to consider.

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎1‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 7:01 PM, Hi-Power Jack said:

"B" is usually considered the great graveyard of USPSA.

Took me a few years to get to B, and here I remain    :(

Hoping to get to A though, in a couple more years   :) 

The bottomless shark tank.......

On ‎2‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 2:21 AM, HoMiE said:

Started in limited with a G34 because i was drawn to basepads and magwells but quickly realised shooting minor was a disadvantage so switched to Production. Had a goal of sticking with 10-rd minor until I got to A class. Took a class and was given the wisdom that if you want to progress fast and learn how to call your shots, go to open and shoot a dot. So I made A shortly after class and got a red dot and started to play in Open. If you want to shoot as fast as you can push yourself then jump in the deep end. Whatever you choose, if you want to get better stick with a division and give it a season. As you build your fundamentals, the difference in divisions is not that big a deal to overcome. 

Great advice. It seems that most people I run into want to chase a division or chase gear to get better or higher up in class. Just sticking to a division for a season feels like an eternity but time is flying!

I started with a sig 226 in limited minor with basepads getting me 22+1.  I got to B class, where I still am.  I got interested in red dots and had a couple sigs cut for RMRs.  Not long after that, carry optics became a thing, and that matched my guns and equipment almost perfectly.  I've been shooting only carry optics ever since, and just made A class last month.  I found that any time I started thinking about changing equipment/division/gun/etc., when I shot the next match those thoughts went away.  Assuming your gear is reliable, and the gun is decently accurate and appropriate for the division, your preference doesn't really matter.  I've been trying to improve transition and movement skills ever since going to a Tim Herron class, and overall learning skills has been much more satisfying than the gear or division I am shooting in.  I just picked something that I liked shooting already, and found the best division for that.

On 1/17/2019 at 6:01 PM, Hi-Power Jack said:

"B" is usually considered the great graveyard of USPSA.

Took me a few years to get to B, and here I remain    :(

Hoping to get to A though, in a couple more years   :) 

B is where the casual hobbyist shooter tops out in skill if he practices once or twice a month, or more commonly, not at all. Some of us got lucky and bumped into A, but that’s an anomaly.

I’d say C and B class account for 60-80% of USPSA shooters for this reason.

You don’t see a lot of A’s because the path out of B... is the amount of dry/live practice that usually propels someone through A right into M within 12-18 months. If not less.

I know more than one shooter who skipped A pretty much entirely. Mulled around in B for a few years, got serious about dryfire training, and were reclassified M by the time USPSA had gotten around to mailing them an A-class card. (Back when they still sent paper cards.)

Edited by MemphisMechanic

1 hour ago, MemphisMechanic said:

You don’t see a lot of A’s because the path out of B... is the amount of dry/live practice that usually propels someone through A right into M within 12-18 months. If not less.

Correct. 80% of shooters who just made B class are still in B a year later. 10% advance to A, and 10% go back to C.

Median time to level up (among those who do level up) is about a year, regardless of class.

On 4/30/2019 at 5:07 PM, lstange said:

Correct. 80% of shooters who just made B class are still in B a year later. 10% advance to A, and 10% go back to C.

Median time to level up (among those who do level up) is about a year, regardless of class.

You cant move back a class without a special reason submitted to uspsa.... so not sure where you got that number.  You can be a C class in 1 division & a B in another but any division youre classified in can never be more than 1 class lower than your highest classified division.  You cant be a B in 1 division & a D in another as an example

53 minutes ago, mlmiller1 said:

You cant move back a class without a special reason submitted to uspsa.... so not sure where you got that number.  You can be a C class in 1 division & a B in another but any division youre classified in can never be more than 1 class lower than your highest classified division.  You cant be a B in 1 division & a D in another as an example

Yeah some people should read the rulebook every once in a while.

2 hours ago, mlmiller1 said:

You cant move back a class without a special reason submitted to uspsa

You can't, but your classification percent can. Results that are more than 5% below minimum score for current class are ignored, but shoot enough classifiers just below that minimum and classification percent will follow.

On 5/2/2019 at 7:35 PM, lstange said:

You can't, but your classification percent can. Results that are more than 5% below minimum score for current class are ignored, but shoot enough classifiers just below that minimum and classification percent will follow.

Yes that is right but you will still be in whatever class youve attained

‘B’ class Production shooter, but always considering moving to another division when I’m not shooting.  Only been at this for 2 years, so I think I’ll stick with it.  I’m shooting for that ‘M’ with my G17. 

Everyone bought into the CZ Shadow for Production, so I stuck with my G17. 

Doesn’t mean I won’t shoot another division once in a while. 

Started in SS - went to limited - settled in on production.

8 rounds was a bit more restrictive than I prefer - 20 rounds and I felt like I was paying all the money but cheating myself out of half of the fun - 10 rounds for me is perfect (But I'm still going to buy another 45 1911 and dabble in SS now and then). 

Your mileage may vary :) . 

Shoot the gun you want in the division it fits. Skills are transferrable. 

For as long as i can remember ive shot more than 1 division throughout the season. 

I loathed shooting my shadow 2 after 6 months of trying to stick to 1 platform. 

I am shooting open minor with a p320x5 at the moment. I have a proper open gun in the safe. 

Very few of us will make a living from this so you may as well enjoy yourself.  

Edited by dansedgli

On 4/3/2019 at 2:09 AM, UpYoursPal said:

Do it.  Open is the most fun division.  From my experience switching from Prod -> Open and then trying Iron sighted guns a few times after, it does seem like the speed at which you shoot Open does make you faster with Iron sighted guns.  Although it can also make you a little more sloppy with your shots, which could be bad if you're shooting minor.  Again, this is anecdotal information, but something to consider.

I shot the poor mans open last week, carry optics, due to a retaining pin issue. I like the dot a lot.

All great posts. I have been shooting limited major for 2 years and am looking for something different. I came in shooting limited but am wanting to try production and see if I can do better and have more fun. It seems like it may make the stages a bit more challenging anyway. I know CO is the new hotness but still haven't decided.