Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cold Weather Vest for USPSA

Chris777

Been trying to shoot and practice USPSA during the winter and coming spring season.  I am looking for ideas/suggestions on a cold weather vest (not IDPA vest) that would make shooting in the cold a bit more tolerable.  I have looked at the DAA Shotac Vest (https://www.doublealpha.biz/daa-shooting-vest) and it looks great.. except for the price... The vests I have seen at Cabella / REI, etc. are all too long and interfere with my gun belt and holster.

Has anyone found a brand or type of vest that would not interfere with access to your holster and mags? (I suck a sowing so modifying a vest is not an option)

Thanks

Chris 

Carhartt makes a shorter vest, meant to be a liner for their heavier coats. I've used it for a number of years and it works great. The rear is longer like a trucker or biker vest, but I shoot open so I don't have any mag carriers back there. The sides and front are short enough to draw mags (and gun) from their holders. Look for a store that sells work clothes (that's where I bought mine) Here's the one I have, but you're better off getting one at a store, that way you can be sure to get the size that will clear your belt. https://www.amazon.com/Carhartt-Sherpa-Sandstone-Rugged-Gravel/dp/B00ISVBIKE/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1520283493&sr=8-12&keywords=carhartt+vests+for+men

You might want to look into some thermal wear (both tops and bottoms) from Russell. They're available at Wal Mart and will provide some really nice insulation with the addition of only a very thin layer under your regular clothing. Then you could use any vest you please.

Under Armour hooded sweat shirt is real warm and is short enough to allow access to mags and guns

I buy mine at the outlets and get a reasonable price and it works for general wear also!

You want a long vest - so you can tuck it in.  Wear an insulating layer and then a long-sleeve turtleneck over that ...then the vest.  I use a lightweight Eddie Bauer or a North Face Canyon Wall on top and tuck it in.   If it is really cold, just wear an additional overcoat until you're up. 

• 4 weeks later...

I use a North Face soft shell jacket for cold weather. It has an elastic draw string around the bottom of it so I can cinch it up to shoot in. Works great, keep your pockets zipped up when shooting.

I use a combination of Patagonia and Polartech thermal wear.  I wear a lightweight Capiline long sleeved undershirt, or a heavier long sleeved Polartech shirt as an under garment, and a Patagonia heavy fleece pullover over that.  I tuck the fleece in so it does not affect my draw.  I wear a down jacket over this, but remove the jacket when it is my turn to shoot.  I'm not cold while shooting.  We shoot all year long down to 25 degrees, weather permitting.

As the season progresses and temps warm I wear the same setup, but switch to  lighter jackets or a breathable windproof shell as required.

I prefer lots of thin layers including some under armour cold gear (top and bottom) as a base layer. Ridiculous scarf plus a wool hat - pull up the sides of the hat so my ear pro fits (they keep your ears really warm). For me, the biggest improvement was actually a tape gun. It's a hell of a lot easier to stay warm when you can paste with your gloves on. 

On 3/5/2018 at 8:59 AM, Chris777 said:

Been trying to shoot and practice USPSA during the winter and coming spring season.  I am looking for ideas/suggestions on a cold weather vest (not IDPA vest) that would make shooting in the cold a bit more tolerable.  I have looked at the DAA Shotac Vest (https://www.doublealpha.biz/daa-shooting-vest) and it looks great.. except for the price... The vests I have seen at Cabella / REI, etc. are all too long and interfere with my gun belt and holster.

Ain't no way I'm gonna get my gut into THAT vest.  Nope.  

If it is that damn cold I wear Smartwool as a base layer, then a Drake Waterfowl wader jacket and run winter golf gloves. 

Put a shell on over that when you aren't shooting.

Got the DAA vest but to fit my chest size it's too long.  Still sitting in the closet as my alteration guy wouldn't/couldn't shorten it.  I work out so I needed the XL size but at only 5'7" I would guess the vest would fit 5'10"+ better.

The other thinf you could try from the cycling world is a gillet. It's essentially a form fit vest. Cyclists use them in the colder early season races. 

They are form fit and tend to be cut at the waist to accommodate a cycling position so I think it could work well enough to be out of the way for a belt and holster. It may not be ideal for production or single stack set up though as they tend to be a littler longer in the back and have pockets there.