Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Atlas Gun Works Titan

rowdyb

I have 0.30 of a pound of WST left in my hopper and a brand new 1lb jug under the bench. So not that much to burn through to clear out the hopper and just let the new 1lb jug sit.

I also have Power Pistol, no way I'm using that. I of course have tons of Titegroup and have a lot of case gauged ammo that I know makes 170pf with it in an ammo can. Maybe enough to shoot OK Section in a few weeks??? And then the E3 I have coming.

So unless I go back to my known TG load I have a few choices before OK Section on Saturday the 21st.

1. Go back to TG, my known entity for the match.

2. Double check and ensure a 100% confidence WST load

3. Develop an E3 load in the space of 4 days.

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

W231/HP38 is an option if you have it. It's a little dirty but temp stable and relatively low recoil. I'd run the known load until you have more time though.

Edited by 858

36 minutes ago, SCTaylor said:

95* with the same load as Rowdy, I went minor out of an RIA 2011. First major and I was shooting limited minor @ 160pf. Not cool.

Lesson learned to Chrono everything & not believe the internet!

For the same reason I stopped using WST for major matches. I used to like it... then I had to keep my ammo in the ice box during two day major match because it was very hot:) I passed the chrono stage fine but I learned my lesson

I'd go back to TG if you know it works and don't tempt fate.

For what it's worth, e3 has been boring consistent in 9mm. Single digit sd's with consistent drops from a dillon hopper. I'd venture to guess it'll do you well in 40.

I have shot a metric crap ton of WST over the years in .40 Major. It works good with zero pressure issues. You simply have to build your load in "Hot" temperature conditions to ensure that it will still make major.

I recently switched to Nobel Sport Prima-SV for my .40 Major ammo. It isn't temperature sensitive at all, single digit standard deviation, and burns super clean. I am using Prima-SV for all of my major match ammo now. I still use WST for practice and local match ammo though because I still have a crap ton of it to burn through. 

I’m with @CHA-LEE...

I think reverse temp powders make sense for those of us living in hot climates. It’s easier for @rowdyb and I to find a 97* day to develop loads on, than one below freezing.

And I want to develop loads at the point at which they’ll be slowest: if I go to a major in the frozen north someday I will be wondering how much faster my ammo clocks when I’m at the chrono table (I already run 135-136pf in my current Production load)... and that’s a very good thing.

yeah, as long as I develop a 90 degree F load I'm not too worried about anything with WST. i'd be screwed if i developed a load during the winter and tried to make it a summer load, that's for sure.

tracking says my E3 will be here Thursday. That would be a full 7 days to develop, chrono, zero and test a load before using it in its first match, the OK section. Hmmmmmm... normally I'd advise against that sort of thing.

1 hour ago, tcazes said:

i mean....or go n320 and have clean shooting ammo and no temp issues lol

No temp or cleanliness issues for E3 per the omniscient internet. But my past personal experience with 320 makes me not want to try that powder again. I gave away 4# of it if that tells you anything....

1 hour ago, woodworks said:

I find Ramshot Competition to be very heat sensitive.  180 gr blue bullet 4.1 gr = 170 pf at 45 degrees. I need 4.5 gr at 85 degrees.

+1 on Ramshot Comp being a solid powder for .40 but...very temp sensitive. In stable climates it’s great. 

22 hours ago, 858 said:

W231/HP38 is an option if you have it. It's a little dirty but temp stable and relatively low recoil. I'd run the known load until you have more time though.

I use W231 in my 40 minor and major loads.  I haven't done extreme temp testing with the minor recipe, but using ice packs and hot packs, I tested my major load with 2 different pistols and see about 11fps over about 70 deg F (~40 deg F on the cold side, ~70 deg F ambient and ~110 deg F on the hot side).

31 minutes ago, DukeEB said:

If you get a thumbrest, then the table start wouldn't be an issue for the mag release.  The thumbrest keeps the gun at enough of an angle not to depress it.

Thanks for getting back about the gun vs ammo hahaha.

I've shot a gun with a thumbrest maybe 10 shots in my life. Not quite ready to get one not about the ergos of one with sm/med hands.

I did put a normal power mag catch spring in the release and that fixed the loaded table start perfectly.

• 2 weeks later...

Installed Dawson Ice magwell. Gun now weighs a less hefty 49.2 ounces than the previous 52 it weighed with a steel magwell. The Ice magwell mounted up smoothly and snugly to the PT Evo grip.

First match bigger than a local this weekend. First bigger than local match in limited for both the gun and myself. And first time having to make major at chrono.

Expect video sometime Sunday or Monday evening.

This has been a very interesting thread.  I have been giving serious consideration to swapping my DVC 3-Gun for an Atlas.  
Learning what works, which mags and "what I would have done differently" - all have been very helpful.

3rd place overall in Limited at the Oklahoma Section match this past weekend in the Titan's first big debut. Gun and mags and load worked perfectly. It, the gun, has gotten me jazzed about shooting a new division for 2018.

Can you tell me a little more about the magazines that your Atlas comes with.  As I understand, it ships with only magazine.  It's an MBX tube with a Grams spring/follower.  Is that the 11 or 13 coil spring?  What basepad did it ship with?
Any magazine related issues at all with the pistol?