Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Atlas Gun Works Titan

rowdyb

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would be very careful changing a trigger the night before a match without being able to live fire it first. Not all bows are the same length, which can change the engagement/pressure on your sear spring and lead to a whole bunch of fun problems. Not to mention you will need you set your pre- and over-travel, which if improperly set can lead to the trigger not resetting and everything.... risky business

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

40 minutes ago, Gooldylocks said:

I would be very careful changing a trigger the night before a match without being able to live fire it first. Not all bows are the same length, which can change the engagement/pressure on your sear spring and lead to a whole bunch of fun problems. Not to mention you will need you set your pre- and over-travel, which if improperly set can lead to the trigger not resetting and everything.... risky business

Just putting a new shoe on the bow in the gun. So the fitted bow will remain because of how this trigger lets you change shoes. 

Also, it's "just a local " haha and the match starts at 130 pm so I'll have time to shoot a mag through it beforehand. 

And yes it is a cardinal rule not to change things right before a match.

9 hours ago, Gooldylocks said:

would be very careful changing a trigger the night before a match

I didn't give your advice enough due in my previous post. You are 100% right. A person should not do what I am doing. But I am gambling a little knowing I do have some time to test it a bit, knowing I'm not doing anything to the bow that already functions in the gun aaaannndddd I admit falling prey to the "oh shiny" effect that says a new thing has to be installed at the soonest time rather than the best time.

I didn't give your advice enough due in my previous post. You are 100% right. A person should not do what I am doing. But I am gambling a little knowing I do have some time to test it a bit, knowing I'm not doing anything to the bow that already functions in the gun aaaannndddd I admit falling prey to the "oh shiny" effect that says a new thing has to be installed at the soonest time rather than the best time.
Since it is just a new shoe I think you will probably be okay. If the shoe doesn't fit in the grip touching the 4 corners of it with a file can make them slide through better. Do you have you adjust your overtravel when you change shoes or does it stay the same? Because I generally measure how much screw is showing with the back end of my calipers then once the new shoe is on I can out it back to the same place and adjust as needed from there. Too much overtravel is better than not enough.

New medium curved trigger installed and gun functioning correctly. Only issue for me was the little bit of juggling putting the lh safety in, but that is always where I fumble.

Next thing is an extra strength mag catch spring so see if I can keep mags from coming out when the gun is placed down for a table start.

FB_IMG_1506194035243.jpg

I have a hard time believing that there is a big beef between the two considering that I believe Atlas comes with an MBX mag.  Would they be supporting if they didn't like each other?

What did your Atlas come with?

I did watch all those mag videos, and I wouldn't call it a "trashing."  Adam certainly wasn't the first person I heard from that MBX has issues.  I just got one and it seems to be running wonderfully with several hundred rounds through it (new follower style).

Planning on ordering an Atlas this week, and I am so excited!

I'd like to think I'm a pretty dang good Production shooter, but for some reason I absolutely sucked at reloading today during the first match with the gun. Soooooo, none of them are in this video of my first match with it. Gun worked perfect, ammo worked perfect, mags worked perfect.

Yep, those are all good points guys and the reason I made a division switch. I'm very fond of saying, "growth doesn't happen without change." So I'm doing some changing of my own to help create some new growth in my shooting.

Yes, I use a full mag of dummy rounds I make for practice. I just haven't done any dry fire or reload practice with this gun yet. (finishing touches on training for idpa nats this weekend takes priority)

Yes, once I get to some stages with more options I hope to see things with less and less of a "Production" eye to things. I have a lot of ingrained habits to undue that way.

I'm jsut very relieved to have spent almost 4k on a gun that works with no fiddling. I hear too many horror stories of people buying tuned/custom guns that then disappoint them in some way. Not the case for me as of yet.

6 minutes ago, rowdyb said:

I'm jsut very relieved to have spent almost 4k on a gun that works with no fiddling. I hear too many horror stories of people buying tuned/custom guns that then disappoint them in some way. Not the case for me as of yet.

You see way too much discussion around these topics these days, not sure if it's because everyone has a chance to voice their opinions where everyone can see them, or if the builders are letting more stuff get it thats not correct to start out with. I'm glad to see there's not as much of that on this board, says a lot about the choices people here make.

On 9/24/2017 at 5:10 PM, bluedevil008 said:

I have a hard time believing that there is a big beef between the two considering that I believe Atlas comes with an MBX mag.  Would they be supporting if they didn't like each other?

What did your Atlas come with?

I did watch all those mag videos, and I wouldn't call it a "trashing."  Adam certainly wasn't the first person I heard from that MBX has issues.  I just got one and it seems to be running wonderfully with several hundred rounds through it (new follower style).

Planning on ordering an Atlas this week, and I am so excited!

I've been running mbx mags for about 6months in my edge backup. No issues. Will be switching to Sv mags when my new Sv blaster comes in soon. 

On 9/23/2017 at 1:44 PM, rowdyb said:

Only issue for me was the little bit of juggling putting the lh safety in, but that is always where I fumble.

The small straw from a can of Oneshot or WD40 lets you depress the detent while pushing the safety in. No more fumbling.

So I tried a different magwell, aluminum versus the steel Atlas one. I went back to the steel Atlas magwell and am very happy with it both in function, grip and balance of the gun.

My load has settled at a 180gr plated rnfp bullet, 4.7 grain of WST and an oal of 1.185". This yields me a consistent (5.0 standard deviation) 940fps.

For mags I've used 3 different SV based mags and now 5 different MBX mags. I am using only the MBX mags now and the PT Evo grip likes them just fine with zero issues.

Finally I added that plastic Arredondo mag release button in blue, but the blue didn't match the other blue things I have so I painted it black. For my hand size and grip it doesn't get in the way. Neither did the Dawson button I was using previously.

Do some Extreme temperature chrono velocity testing with that WST load. The hotter the temp gets the slower WST goes. My bench mark was to artificially heat the ammo to 100+ degrees then chrono test the velocity to see if it still made major. From 60 deg - 100 deg WST can vary 30 - 40 fps. 

From my experience with WST, you will probably end up in the 5.0 - 5.1 powder drop range to still make major at 100+ degrees.

Edited by CHA-LEE

So the data from my highly unscientific test i did on friday:

air temp 85 F. humidity 78% altitude 180'. i shot all 19 of the cool group first and then all 18 of the hot group.

the load and gun as listed above with ammo in the shade all day

avg fps of 938 (168.8pf) and every shot of 19 fired made pf.

the load and gun as listed above with ammo in ammo box, in sun for 4 hours, resting on a car hood. (ammo very hot to touch)

avg fps of 927 (166.8pf) and one shot of 18 below pf, the very first shot fired.

In this case "room temp" ammo to "very hot to touch" yielded a 2, two, power factor drop on a warm fall afternoon.

I've not committed myself to the WST load as I just ordered 8lb of E3. I've read people losing 20fps on a difference of 60 degrees in temp over a day and others have reported greater than 40fps lost in just the difference between 90F and 50F. My limited experience hasn't yielded that large of a drop.

Edited by rowdyb