Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Atlas Gun Works Titan

rowdyb

On 4/17/2021 at 3:35 PM, BLUEPSTU said:

About how many rounds until you change the springs? I am having problems with my mags and think that is the issue. Thanks for any info.

Its too hard to keep track of which magazine has X amount of rounds on it or load/unload cycles. I am shooting several times a week and at that pace it has always worked out best if I simply replace all of the mag springs once every 3 - 4 months. I keep track of how long the mag springs are after each range session when I am cleaning the mags and if one is abnormally shorter than the rest, I will replace them all. Replacing magazine springs is cheap insurance and it makes zero sense to keep using a worn out spring until it starts causing feeding issues. Replacing springs costs less than a tank of gas so I don't know why people resist spending the money to replace their mag springs proactively before they start causing problems.

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 4/18/2021 at 6:30 PM, CHA-LEE said:

Its too hard to keep track of which magazine has X amount of rounds on it or load/unload cycles. I am shooting several times a week and at that pace it has always worked out best if I simply replace all of the mag springs once every 3 - 4 months. I keep track of how long the mag springs are after each range session when I am cleaning the mags and if one is abnormally shorter than the rest, I will replace them all. Replacing magazine springs is cheap insurance and it makes zero sense to keep using a worn out spring until it starts causing feeding issues. Replacing springs costs less than a tank of gas so I don't know why people resist spending the money to replace their mag springs proactively before they start causing problems.

Gotcha. Thanks.

On 4/17/2021 at 8:38 AM, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello, the MBX magazine springs don't seem to last very long. I have some Taran Tactical followers and springs in STI/SVI magazines for years that are still going strong. My Gen 1 STI 40 magazines are over 12 years old and only need light tuning of the feed lips when they hit rocks or concrete the wrong way. Thanks, Eric

we stopped using mbx springs in our mags because the last set wore out in a few weeks, and MBX was not interested in helping us. TTI springs work much better, but if you use the mbx followers, you'll have to bend the spring slightly to get the follower to sit at the right angle. We have had zero troubles since we started using the TTI springs. Its not as easy to get 21 rounds in the mag..... but I stopped doing that anyway because if i'm that worried about round count, it's easier and safer to just do a 2nd reload and shoot aggressively.

33 minutes ago, motosapiens said:

we stopped using mbx springs in our mags because the last set wore out in a few weeks, and MBX was not interested in helping us. TTI springs work much better, but if you use the mbx followers, you'll have to bend the spring slightly to get the follower to sit at the right angle. We have had zero troubles since we started using the TTI springs. Its not as easy to get 21 rounds in the mag..... but I stopped doing that anyway because if i'm that worried about round count, it's easier and safer to just do a 2nd reload and shoot aggressively.

I wonder if they are hit or miss? I have not changed my MBX springs out yet and they are still failure free. Been well over a year of multiple matches per month. I talked with Shooter's Connection when I was ordering new springs and they said no reason to change based on their feedback so I will keep the easy extra round staying with mbx guts for now.

8 minutes ago, Sarge said:

I wonder if they are hit or miss? I have not changed my MBX springs out yet and they are still failure free. Been well over a year of multiple matches per month. I talked with Shooter's Connection when I was ordering new springs and they said no reason to change based on their feedback so I will keep the easy extra round staying with mbx guts for now.

i would have done that if mbx had just replaced their defective springs, but they basically told me to get lost, so I figured they didn't want my continued business.

9 minutes ago, motosapiens said:

i would have done that if mbx had just replaced their defective springs, but they basically told me to get lost, so I figured they didn't want my continued business.

Agreed. Good Customer service is paramount.

Hello, I have seen alot of MBX magazines here and all of them need the springs changed out regularly. One of the guys here who shoots alot was changing them out once a month. He sold the magazines and is using old SVI magazines now and TTI guts. Thanks, Eric

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have had great results with the MBX guts so far. I don't losd mags night before a match, I don't let them sit with ammo in them for the ride home from a match. And I don't load full if shooting stages with required reloads. I do shoot 3 matches a month and during the winter and fall months I practice a ton in between the matches. Haven't needed customer service and hope not to need it. Glad to know TTI is an alternative tho. 

• 3 months later...