Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Atlas Gun Works Titan

rowdyb

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 9/14/2017 at 9:55 PM, rowdyb said:

It is performing perfectly. It fed the first 100 rounds I made for it flawlessly out of an mbx and a tti mag. 4.6gr of titegroup yileded 173 pf with a 180gr bullet.

It has a regular guide rod, so I had to bend a paperclip. It weighs 52.6 ounces. So 5 ounces more than my Shadow 2 did with an empty mag in it. That's not that big of a leap if you ask me.

The three things that really stand out when I let people fondle it are 1. They rack the slide and universally say "ooohhh, like it's on bearings!". 2. They dry fire the trigger and say "what is this like 1.5 pounds?" It is 1.75 but yeah. 3. They love the grip's texture. 4 and finally they ask about it's weight.

I like the DLC coating. I think I want the medium curved trigger instead of the short. My other guns all had a single sided safety so getting used to the ambi.

I was super happy that I shot it in groups and basic shooting instantly as well as I do my Shadow 2 gun. Almost exact times for drills and just how I felt handling the gun. But all this was minus draws and reloads as my holster is not done yet.

All the guns we build have Dawson Tooless guide rods.  Post a pic of the GR in your gun.

Rob- what other guns did you consider? 

I had my eyes on a tuned Edge from Brazos but am now wondering if I should "buy once, cry once" and fork over the extra $1k. It's a lot for a metal grip and some internal tuning. 

Cuttently shooting a G35 in Limited, so I guess either will be a huge upgrade.

On ‎9‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 4:50 PM, rowdyb said:

the medium length trigger. color options. single sided safety. blending of magwell and grip. maybe ask for a little more undercutting of the grip. those are all things i would have asked about.

We have two atlas sponsored shooters in my area.  I asked one of them about custom vs quick, and he said that the thing to add to the quick (2month) version is stroking the barrel (I'm not completely sure what that means lol)

The Atlas Titan and Chaos are hand build custom guns that have only one look and color.  Other than that they have all the performance of our custom guns.

Custom guns with different cuts and colors take a good bit more time to make.  The Titan and Chaos are meant to get the best guns in the hands of shooters at fair prices and quick lead times.

These guns are very different that a stock gun from other builders and take over double the amount of time to build.  There are only one or two companies in the world who are making guns at this quality level, and no one makes guns like this for the current price and lead time.

5 hours ago, anilson said:

All the guns we build have Dawson Tooless guide rods.  Post a pic of the GR in your gun.

You're right. I am wrong if I said the gun came with something otherwise.

I'm also wrong in implying other things I'd consider are part of your package. They're just other things I'd consider, not necessarily items on an Atlas build sheet I could check off and have you do.

Thanks for popping in and correcting where I might have lead astray.

Edited by rowdyb

5 minutes ago, rowdyb said:

You're right. I am wrong if I said the gun came with something otherwise.

I'm also wrong in implying other things I'd consider are part of your package. They're just other things I'd consider, not necessarily items on an Atlas build sheet I could check off and have you do.

Thanks for popping in and correcting where I might have lead astray.

I was walking around the shop today asking who found a regular guide rod (we don't stock them)  and put it in a Titan.

Just now, anilson said:

I was walking around the shop today asking who found a regular guide rod (we don't stock them)  and put it in a Titan.

My mistake was not taking the gun apart when I said that. I just looked at it from the top, saw a pin whole like I'd previously used a paper clip on. I didn't invert the gun to look at the bottom of the guide rod. If I had been more thorough in my initial look over then I wouldn't have said what I said. Sorry.....

The spastic excitement of something new lead to error on my part.

no marks on the gun. camera plus junk on the gun. totally smooth there in real life.
That's good, I was worried haha. I would be disappointed with the lack of blending on the magwell, but I guess that makes sense with it being an in stock gun. Seems like changing the opening on their magwell to match those of the Dawson ones would be smart so they could change them back and forth without adjusting the blending

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

well after 1,000 rounds through the gun this past week everything is still top notch!

of recent observation

• the frame seems like it sinks more heat than the barrel. i did a lot of rapid, high volume shooting one day and i got the gun's frame too hot to touch. the slide and barrel were still very hot but not nearly as hot as the frame.
  • i think i want a stronger mag catch. put a loaded gun on its left side and it all weighs enough to depress the mag catch and release a mag. not very fun for a table start. i do have a button on but it is not oversize imho. (i ordered an extra power wolff spring)
  • the dlc coating is resisting holster wear well. it seems to just be changing color a little rather than wearing off.
  • i ordered a medium trigger. it will go in saturday night before the match the next day. curved, blue in color. gun needed some pizazz and i want a little more reach over the short shoe.
  • the eternal 2011 question, magazines. i have 3 SV mags and 2 MBX mags. I need to decide which I am going to run and consolidate into one type. I can see pros and cons to each. I did have to provide one SV mag body with considerable attention to get it to work. Once that was done both brands have been great. (180gr Berrys rnfp, 4.4 Titegroup, 1.185" oal)
  • I've had to recalibrate my muscles to move a 52oz empty gun as fast as my 45oz empty production gun. The gun weighs 65 ounces with a full mag of 20, that's an even 4 pounds.
  • i started trying to run my belt set up just like i use in production for some easier cross over. that's been changing. about the only thing left that's Prod-like is that i used a kydex holster on a boss hanger, but it is further forward than i run in Prod.

37 minutes ago, Maximis228 said:

MBX All day. Atlas and MBX have some personal beef. I would take what Adam says about them with a large grain of salt.

I have been curious about this but can't seem to find any resources. Do you have any sources you can share?

MBX mags have been doing awesome for 9mm Major in MN, but I don't personally know anyone using them for 40sw.

Just now, IsaacB said:

I have been curious about this but can't seem to find any resources. Do you have any sources you can share?

MBX mags have been doing awesome for 9mm Major in MN, but I don't personally know anyone using them for 40sw.

To buy mags? MBX themselves, Shooters connection, Speed shooter international.. to name a few.

I've been using MBX in
40 for the last 3-4 months in a RIA, been flawless for me.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

MBX made a post a while back alluding to it. I guess Atlas had a contract with MBX to sell their stuff at MSRP. Atlas sold some mags below that agreed upon price, so MBX pulled their stuff. Now Atlas trashed them in a recent mag tuning video series. These things blow up really quickly in a small community like ours.

From MBX -

Sorry for the thread drift. Lets get back to the baller Atlas gun this man has.

Upcoming match schedule with this gun, but the plan is to shoot Limited for all of 2018.

Sun Sept 24th, Benton Gun Club

Sat Oct 7th, Twin Lakes Gun Club

Sat Oct 14th, Memphis Sport Shooters

Sat Oct 21st, Oklahoma Section match. Where there is only me and another A shooter in Limited.  So we'll see how I make the transition to this gun and this division in the next 4 weeks!

I've taken video of me shooting it but I look so clunky figuring stuff out that I keep deleting it.