Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Atlas Gun Works Titan

rowdyb

1 hour ago, L3324temp said:

My Atlas has been flawless since I shortened my OAL on my reloads. If using coated Bullets the OAL needs to be short or it will not fully go to battery 100% of the time. Using jacketed or played allows the longer OALs. But since it runs 100% near factory OAL with coated there is no reason to go longer for me.

The fit and quality of the finish is also top quality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I havent noticed that to be an issue. I run coated bullets at 1.185 and they feed in my Nemesis without a problem. 

I had an issue with my Atlas a month or two after receiving it, Cat sent me a label and they covered shipping both ways, had it back to me in about 10 days. They are very nice pistols, I do love how it operates. I dont have unrealistic expectations of perfection, but I do expect good customer service for the price I paid. So far I have not been disappointed in how Atlas treats me. I would buy from them again. 

1 hour ago, L3324temp said:

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

20 hours ago, bigbob21 said:

I do not bad mouth atlas for my problems. Stuff sneaks past QC every once and a while I’m sure with all companies.

Yea I have been frustrated for a long time, and my akai owner friends give me s#!t constantly... but, my issues might have been resolved more quickly if I had known the platform before I ordered my chaos, or if I had more open/2011 shooter buddies who lived near me.
I live in a small town where I have to drive 2 hours to a decent match. Our local stuff barely qualifies as practice for USPSA.

Instead of always googling the problem, a more experience person might have known what to look for whenever a problem arose.

I’ve always been an advocate of buy once, cry once.
An atlas was double the price of an sti but their quality/fit/finish is way better... so I don’t regret my decision.

When you have 2 working guns at 2 diff prices ranges, it becomes obvious which performs better...
It’s only when 1 works and the other doesn’t that you start to question your decision.

Rob the reason to buy a Atlas Gun is our service is second to none.  We would have gladly worked with you further to find the broken extractor.  (1911 extractors have been a weak point of the guns for many years. We are working now to develop the correct extractor made from the correct material.)   

Lots of gun builders build good guns right now, but we are the only company building 500 plus guns a year and servicing customers guns in two weeks or less (often in one day with quick things).  We also pay for air shipping on all service guns both way if under warranty.   We put out a service plan for our guns because we want to see the guns for service and keep the running for many years. 

We started this company to change the way real shooters buy guns and get service.  Our goal has been to change the industry for the better.  This means better service,  better guns, better parts, more education, and faster lead times.  We are committed to keeping every single Atlas gun in top working order and continuing to pressure the industry to change for the better.

Adam

4 hours ago, Brooke said:

I bought both a 40 and a 9 Nemesis last fall. The 9 only has about 4000 rounds on it but its been perfect. The 40 is about 8000 and will be my primary USPSA gun. The 40 has also been perfect. These are my first 1911 design guns. Up until now I've shot several different CZ's.

I had no CZ problems and still own several. However the Atlas guns are like Cadillacs versus the Chevrolet CZ's. I'll never go back and I will keep buying from Atlas. They answer any question I have and treat me like a customer likes being treated. 

I am more than pleased with Atlas guns and Atlas itself.

Love my Nemesis as well.  They have been nothing but professional with me as well.

Sorry but making 500 guns a year is no excuse to let guns out the door without proper inspection. 

Is that is your first impression then you will never have my business, that indicates to me thet corners had to be cut in order to fullfill a timeline. That is a slippery slope specially in this niche market

never ever heard of an svi going back when new. Ever.

2 hours ago, Avenida said:

never ever heard of an svi going back when new. Ever.

I've never heard of any custom builder/manufacturer that has a 100% perfect record.

The difference between manufacturers is how quickly, effectively, and easily a problem is handled.

I know my last Atlas gun was inspected, and test fired. Cant wait for my next one to be finished.

Edited by dkamps

17 minutes ago, dkamps said:

I've never heard of any custom builder/manufacturer that has a 100% perfect record.

The difference between manufacturers is how quickly, effectively, and easily a problem is handled.

yes. this is important. While it is annoying to have to send a gun back, as far as I can tell Atlas has very good customer service and communication, and they've put a ton of educational and instructional videos out there to help folks learn about the 2011 platform.

and remember, they have no control over your magazines, or your reloading equipment and expertise. There are a lot of things that have to be right for a 2011 system to run perfectly.

imho, $3700 or so for a titan compares pretty favorable to $2700  or so for a DVC and another $600 or so for a steel grip.

• 4 weeks later...

I will be receiving my Titan in a few days. I am going to us my DAA X holster that I am presently using for my CZ TSO. Would anyone right off hand know what insert block I will need to purchase for the Titan. Also, will I need to do any modifying to the insert block, or will it be a good fit out of the box? Thanks for any info.

2 hours ago, BLUEPSTU said:

I will be receiving my Titan in a few days. I am going to us my DAA X holster that I am presently using for my CZ TSO. Would anyone right off hand know what insert block I will need to purchase for the Titan. Also, will I need to do any modifying to the insert block, or will it be a good fit out of the box? Thanks for any info.

You will need to get the PT insert block....i would highly recommend getting the thigh pad as well.

47 minutes ago, JJB05 said:

You will need to get the PT insert block....i would highly recommend getting the thigh pad as well.

I used the PT insert with my STI while my Titan was being built. Strangely, the PT block fits my STI better than the PT Evo on my Titan?!?!  Also, I bought the thigh pad when I ordered my Alpha X but found it created a hot spot for me. But you’ll never know till you try it for yourself.

3 minutes ago, Bluemooncricket said:

I used the PT insert with my STI while my Titan was being built. Strangely, the PT block fits my STI better than the PT Evo on my Titan?!?!  Also, I bought the thigh pad when I ordered my Alpha X but found it created a hot spot for me. But you’ll never know till you try it for yourself.

Interesting...i had some issues with the gun sticking but once i put the thigh pad on the rig it resolved that problem completely.

1 hour ago, JJB05 said:

Interesting...i had some issues with the gun sticking but once i put the thigh pad on the rig it resolved that problem completely.

I never had my STI (plastic grip) stick on me. I’ve had the PT stick a time or two but not to the point where I gave myself a wedgie (like forgetting to take off the safety on the Alpha). I find this holster and Evo grip combination a bit more sensitive to the angle of my draw but I haven’t had a problem with it after a few dry fire sessions.

• 2 months later...

I can also chime in on how awesome Adam and his team are. I’ve had 4 Atlas guns(one has two slides) and I can’t speak more highly of them. Sure I’ve had a few minor issues with the guns but Adam would get me a label and have it back to me in under a couple weeks! Try that with some other custom builders. Adam even answers my emails on weekends. 

You are always going to have people you can’t please. Adam deals with so many personal requests and dumb questions from guys like me with pure professionalism. I’ve spent over 20K with them in the last 3 years and I don’t regret it one bit. I’ve got a Chaos coming which sadly will be my last Atlas gun for a while but I will have everything I want. 

In my Nemesis I’m running 5 grains of  Alliant Sport Pistol under a Montana Gold JHP at 1.165 and making 171PF. Hardest thing I have encountered is what recoil spring to use lol. I just can’t figure out what I like the best or what shoots the best yet. Tried 8-11. Love the gun though. 

In my Erebus I love shooting Fiocchi 124 factory and it’s a sewing machine. The most fun gun to shoot ever!! I have friends that own Akai and some other customs. They are nice but NOBODY has better customer service than Adam and Cat. Don’t hesitate to buy a gun from them. It’s like you become family. 

Jon

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 9/13/2017 at 4:23 PM, CHA-LEE said:

The answer to that is easy. Use MBX mags and enjoy many years of 100% reliable function.

I switched from Tuned STI mags over to MBX ones when they first came out. I have been using the same set of MBX mags for several years now and they have HEAVY use but still function 100%. Sure I have fed them a steady diet of fresh springs and followers as needed, but the tubes and base pads are still the same. I have only had to readjust the feed lips back to spec a couple of times after getting trampled or dropped hard on the concrete. The outsides of the tubes and base pads are all scratched and nicked up, but the insides still look brand new.

After using the MBX mags for a couple of years I bought another set of MBX mags to have on hand once these initial ones start to screw up. But the initial ones are still functioning reliably so the new ones have been sitting on the shelf for years. Maybe one day the initial ones will eventually give up the ghost, but I don't see that happening any time soon given their proven track record.

The biggest variable I see in people having issued with the MBX magazines is trying to use crappy reloaded ammo in them. If you try to use crappy reloaded ammo it doesn't matter what brand of magazine you use, you will have problems.

When shooting .40 caliber ammo you MUST push though size all the brass before reloading it, then case gauge every single round after its loaded. The people who have congenital "Magazine Problems" are the same ones who refuse to push through size or case gauge their ammo.

Beyond that you need to find the optimal OAL that works best for YOUR gun and magazines. Every barrel is slightly different in the depth and angle of the feed ramp. Every brand of magazine holds the top round at a slightly different height. These two variables combined require that the OAL of the ammo be tuned properly. The best way to verify if the OAL is the correct length is to observe where the tip of the bullet hits the feed ramp when you shoot. The best way to verify this is to use a sharpie marker and black out the feed ramp. Then load up a magazine to full capacity and shoot it at a normal competition speed until its empty. Remove the barrel and observe where on the feed ramp the sharpy marking is scuffed off. If the OAL is correct the scuff marking will be at half way up to three quarters up from the bottom of the ramp. If the scuff mark is lower, the OAL is too short. If the scuff mark is higher, then the OAL is too long. If the scuff marks are random all over the feed ramp, then the ammo is inconsistently made or the feed lips are not within spec.

6 Basic steps to reliable 2011 Magazine feeding.....

Step 1 - Use MBX mags

Step 2 - Push Through size all of the .40 brass before reloading it

Step 3 - Case Gauge all of the ammo after loading it

Step 4 - Tune the OAL properly to hit 1/2 to 3/4 up front the bottom of the barrel feed ramp

Step 5 - Keep an eye on the springs and followers and replace them BEFORE they start causing problems

Step 6 - Enjoy hundreds of thousands of rounds with reliable feeding

Great post.  Saved my butt!

This is a blast from the past!!! I wanted to provide an update that I am still using the first set of MBX magazine tubes and they are still 100% reliable. I am not sure if I will ever "Wear them out" as they have lasted me many years so far and god knows how many rounds, reloads and drops on the ground.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/5/2021 at 9:35 AM, CHA-LEE said:

This is a blast from the past!!! I wanted to provide an update that I am still using the first set of MBX magazine tubes and they are still 100% reliable. I am not sure if I will ever "Wear them out" as they have lasted me many years so far and god knows how many rounds, reloads and drops on the ground.

have you had to re-tune them at all?

5 minutes ago, 3gunDMD said:

have you had to re-tune them at all?

The MBX Mags don't need "Tuned" to start off with. They simply work right out of the bag. As far as maintenance I have kept an eye on the feed lip width and readjust them back to spec (0.385" from back to front) when needed. But the feed lip width usually stays in spec more often than not. Its usually really hard drops onto concrete that can lead to the feed lips getting spread out.

25 minutes ago, CHA-LEE said:

The MBX Mags don't need "Tuned" to start off with. They simply work right out of the bag. As far as maintenance I have kept an eye on the feed lip width and readjust them back to spec (0.385" from back to front) when needed. But the feed lip width usually stays in spec more often than not. Its usually really hard drops onto concrete that can lead to the feed lips getting spread out.

Are the feed lips  the only thing you have to nudge back into spec? What about the body width (1 inch down from the top as shown in some atlas vids)

I shoot mostly indoors with concrete floors, but my STI mags seem to get out of spec fairly frequently.

If I had to do it again, I'd most likely just go MBX and save myself the headache.

13 hours ago, lroy said:

Are the feed lips  the only thing you have to nudge back into spec? What about the body width (1 inch down from the top as shown in some atlas vids)

I shoot mostly indoors with concrete floors, but my STI mags seem to get out of spec fairly frequently.

If I had to do it again, I'd most likely just go MBX and save myself the headache.

Yes, the feed lips are the only thing you have to keep an eye on.

Hello, the MBX magazine springs don't seem to last very long. I have some Taran Tactical followers and springs in STI/SVI magazines for years that are still going strong. My Gen 1 STI 40 magazines are over 12 years old and only need light tuning of the feed lips when they hit rocks or concrete the wrong way. Thanks, Eric

On 4/5/2021 at 11:35 AM, CHA-LEE said:

About how many rounds until you change the springs? I am having problems with my mags and think that is the issue. Thanks for any info.

Edited by BLUEPSTU