Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Will limited and open cease to exist in CA?

Deadcoyote

13 minutes ago, d_striker said:

No point.  You said you couldn't "think of a single classifier."  I was just giving an example of one.

Fair enough.  There's at least one that NY shooters can't shoot without a disadvantage.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is also the matter of Nationals, Area Matches, and other out of state matches. Even if you could barrow non-restricted magazines and they ran flawlessly in your gun. There is still the matter of training. The training and muscle memory between reloading every ten rounds and burning down a stage without a reload is vastly different. Not to mention the mindset and method of breaking down a stage is totally different. You'd be at a huge disadvantage competing against people who practicing the same way compete.

7 hours ago, R34PER said:

There is also the matter of Nationals, Area Matches, and other out of state matches. Even if you could barrow non-restricted magazines and they ran flawlessly in your gun. There is still the matter of training. The training and muscle memory between reloading every ten rounds and burning down a stage without a reload is vastly different. Not to mention the mindset and method of breaking down a stage is totally different. You'd be at a huge disadvantage competing against people who practicing the same way compete.

Unfortunately, the only way to resolve that issue would be to create 10-shot equivalents of all the divisions, or to mandate 10-shot mag limits across the entire USPSA (like IDPA does). I would not support either of these options.

7 hours ago, R34PER said:

This is true, but I'm not sure what point you're trying to make?  No one's forcing people who live in ban states to shoot Open, Limited, or PCC at out of state matches.  There are actually more divisions to choose from with ban state friendly capacity limits than there are with higher capacity.  And also no one's forcing anyone else to live in a ban state.

The Aussies seemed to do pretty OK at the World Shoot despite using 10 round mags at home.

I am planning on adding a couple of pouches and switching to bullets out. I don't think the rest of the sport should have to change to accommodate our draconian laws.

1 hour ago, rishii said:

We've been shooting open-10 since 94, I run with 6 mags on my belt, and the 10 round limit adds complexity and re-load strategy to the stage.  

It might of been Barry but I remember one Friday morning at Area 2 where one of the HI shooters was lamenting about dropping the borrowed big stick after 10 rounds on his first stage. We will see how it goes. ;)

On 11/28/2016 at 8:07 PM, Distant Thunder said:

But, but don't the people who compete in NY and CA feel so much safer using 10-round magazines at their matches? 

Yes of course after all the gang banger's, terrorists, and crazies turn in their hicaps....

• 2 weeks later...

We have been shooting with 10rd mags in Canada for 20 years now. It sucks, but it can be done. Most matches here are set up so that there are no more than 8-10 rds in between movement, so you know that every time you move, you have to do a mag change. I personally think that this law sucks ever since it first was first introduced, as it in no way reflects to  public safety, but understanding that it will never be overturned here, we just had to adapt. If we buckle and say that we can't play, they win!

Edited by abb1

4 hours ago, abb1 said:

We have been shooting with 10rd mags in Canada for 20 years now. It sucks, but it can be done. Most matches here are set up so that there are no more than 8-10 rds in between movement, so you know that every time you move, you have to do a mag change. I personally think that this law sucks ever since it first was first introduced, as it in no way reflects to  public safety, but understanding that it will never be overturned here, we just had to adapt. If we buckle and say that we can't play, they win!

This is 'Murica! We don't put up with suck! We are gettin' ready to MAGA!

She was using a lever gun.  For a lever gun one of the ways to Examine the bore was to put a bore light at the chamber and then look down.  Remember the E is at the end of PROVE.  So she had done the Observe the chamber and Verified the feeding path etc. before she looked down the bore.  I don't think they showed the bore light.  Maybe they aren't required to use one these days.

With the other type of rifles she would have been able to readily take out the bolt and examine the bore through the chamber end.

I guess for a lever gun she also may have been able to stick a cleaning rod through the muzzle end of the barrel.

On 12/1/2016 at 1:13 PM, rishii said:

Yep

The Hawaii re-load, top off the gun, put in the big stick and dump it after 10 rounds?

Hahaha I saw that one. No problems for most, just a little reprogramming will do it.

I started shooting USPA in a ban state. All I know is 10 rounds. I went to a free state and borrowed some big sticks. It was nice. Part of the fun is breaking down a stage. While my friends shooting Production breaking down the stage, I was thinking "I'm just gonna blast threw them".  Big sticks make you lazy. But I want big sticks.

We have this type of deal in MA too. It's why I'm preparing to get myself a Limited 10 setup because it's all I'll be able to use here. 

I could see a pd possibly heading over to a local competition and issuing a ton of citations to those who still have hi cap magazines. The whole idea of pre ban just irritates me. It should just be legal.