Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What's the hot setup for 2011 mags these days?

I have been running the same 5 STI mags for several years. I originally bought 10 (140mm) tubes and polished them all, but only built 5 to begin with. I used Dawson pads, and Grams followers/11 coil springs. With untuned mags, I got lucky and have them run pretty much perfect after I shaved the edge of two of the followers ever so slightly, all 5 mags load to 19 in my 40sw. I haven't shot USPSA in a couple of years, and mostly have been running the 3gun stuff. I did buy one Dawson follower and swapped it out for one of the grams followers because I was looking to keep the gun from locking back and didn't want to cut anymore of the other follower away. My Grams followers were set to lock back and of course with the 2011, it was usually with 1 rd left in the mag effectively turning the mags into 18 rd mags. I want to assemble the other 5 tubes and have been looking at the Dawson SNL pads, Dawson followers and possibly the ISMI springs in my search for 20 rds without tuning. Im hoping that I don't need to tune them if my luck holds out for the other 5 on the shelf. Is there any issues combining the selected choices im looking at?

Ok, the urgency? The Ironman is arriving and there is one stage that the optional round count may exceed my capacities as I favor pistol over shotgun for as much as I can. One extra mag will probably do it, but two would be better, but since were building, it may as well be 5.

Hello: I have great success with Dawson follower and the ISMI spring cut to fit the follower. I use Dawson SNL base pads also. These should hold 20 rounds and fit the gauge but I would check the gauge to make sure. From what I have seen around here the MBX are hit or miss on whether they work or not. Thanks, Eric

I just recently picked up 4 MBX mags to try and rectify some of the feeding issues that had cropped up with both my 2011's. Long story short....AWESOME! They fit 21 reloadable (I shoot .40) and I've had zero problems since switching.

Turns out that my previous issues were caused by STI tubes that just need to be tuned. The feed lips are all kinds of jacked-up, but I didn't notice it until I took some calipers to them.

I just recently picked up 4 MBX mags to try and rectify some of the feeding issues that had cropped up with both my 2011's. Long story short....AWESOME! They fit 21 reloadable (I shoot .40) and I've had zero problems since switching.

What did you do to tune your MBX mags so that they will accept 21 rounds of .40 and still be reloadaable?

I have two MBX mags and can get them booth to hold 20 rounds reloadable, but not 21... One of mine is a stock MBX, the other has TT follower and spring.

What did you do to tune your MBX mags so that they will accept 21 rounds of .40 and still be reloadaable?

I have two MBX mags and can get them booth to hold 20 rounds reloadable, but not 21... One of mine is a stock MBX, the other has TT follower and spring.

I would also like to know this myself. I have STI Tubes with Grams Springs and Followers with Dawson SNL pads and some MBX mags. I can get 21 in all of them but guarantee your not going to reload them with 21. I usually run 19 in the reload mags because not as much force is needed like 20.

I use STI tubes with TTI guts and the 4g2 base pads. I get 20 reloadable in all 4 that I have. I can fit 21 in them but you really have to push hard to seat.

I'm running STI tubes with tti springs/followers and 4g2 pads. I can get 21 in all 4 of my mags. I run 21 in my #1 mag and 20 in the 3 on my belt just for ease of loading. I just recently tuned my STI tubes with the Dawson kit.

I'm tempted to try a couple of mbx tubes just because.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I garuntee you will be happy with MBX. Ive been running them for the past year and they have never failed me. I run .40 and all of the mags hold 20 reloadable and 21 seatable (not reloadable). Meaning you can start with 22 if you need it and reload into 20. Give them a shot! I think youll like them!

I use STI tubes tuned with the dawson tuning kit, grams guts and Dawson SNL pad. I get 20 in all my mags and they run 100%

This is my setup as well. They run like tops. There's no need to squeeze 21 Reloadable in the mags IMO, most stages you're going to reload anyway. I just started using mbx in my open guns and have zero issues with them feeding. I am however having issues getting them in fast. Grabbing the smaller base pad just isn't working 100% for me yet. I guess I need more time on the guns to feel more comfortable. I do wish they offered a bigger pad, more like the Dawson's. The mbx springs needed a little bending to get perfect but now they run like they should. Mbx is very responsive and a well run company though.