Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Alternative 2011's

mont1120

Since I am reaching, (or have reached) that unpleasant time when the bones and eyes are losing ground rapidly, I keep looking at investing in a 2011 for the fun of it and maybe use it for Limited 10 (as long as it is around), then play in Limited and 3 Gun.

The question I have is I don't see why I would invest $2000K plus for something I may or may not stay with. I know STI has its ups and downs, SV is way more then I want to pay, so are there any other alternatives that could be viable in this game without loosing too much?

I have seen a few Para 2011's on line for sale, but I have found very few comments regarding their value. I enjoy tinkering with what I shoot with, and I keep seeing the advice to buy this or that, gut it, and then you will have the gun you want. It seems that perhaps there is a mid way point for those of us who don't want to sell a kidney to finance our fun.

(LOL, if we added up what we spent it would amaze us anyway.)

So, any options out there????

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's just called Para, not Para 2011. I prefer the Para over sti for the steel frame, the weight soaks up recoil. I've been shooting Para's the last 8 years and love them. Yes Para was bought out by Remington, yes original factory mags for Para's are a little hard to find. Mbx makes great mags for Para's, you can also have a Para mag catch modified to use sti mags too. I recently bought a new Para Pro custom 16-40,I did adjust the extractor tension before I even shot it. It has been flawless, it even excepts long ammo, I load my ammo to 1.18 oal. I have 3 Para's and will never get rid of them.

I got a DW Pointman for the wife's Christmas present and have been breaking it in. All it needed was some fitting of the thumb safety,a magwell and some more mags. Very nice pistol for $1299.00

JD

I had a Rock Island. Actually 2

First was replaced by the factory.

While OK it needed a lot of work.

Thumb safeties throat barrel mag well

Mag tuning canyon creek mag catch for sti mags and it still was not 100% reliable.

Bought a Para p18 when the rebate was active and never looked back.

For 9 and .40 mags mbx or sps or sti.

Ramped barrel. Only thing need was to swap out recoil spring and guiderod.

I have another one I'm building up for limited.

I'd give the nod to Para over RIA.

I got a DW Pointman for the wife's Christmas present and have been breaking it in. All it needed was some fitting of the thumb safety,a magwell and some more mags. Very nice pistol for $1299.00

JD

The DW Pointman is a 9mm single stack 1911, not a double stack type 2011.

Besides the Para/Para clones there are the EAA Tanfoglio Limited Elite guns. You could get one for less than 1k off a gun auction site. They are good shooters and a lot of folks like the feel of the grip better. One nice thing about the tanfos is that you can get caliber conversions so the same frame can can be used for 9mm or 40.

Also, if you came across a nice Caspian wide body framed gun for a good price it would be worth your consideration (personally, I like the Caspian frames a lot). Caspian doesn't sell compete guns though, so if you find one it has been built up by somebody.

One nice thing about the tanfos is that you can get caliber conversions so the same frame can can be used for 9mm or 40.

Thanks for reminding me Bamboo-Para 9/40 slides have the same breechface.

I've been meaning to try one of the Tanfos

I am running a 9and 40 RIA and after some minor tuning both are very reliable. Not Glock reliable but as reliable as the other 2011's I compete against. The of these guns makes them much more comfortable to shoot. So far the only failure has been an extractor on the 40

Look into the tangfolio elite witness limited. That is quite a nice alternative to a $2000 plus mags and tune up upgrades and getting it just how you like and tuning the mags to hold 18 reloadable that it takes with a 2011. Don't get me wrong I love the 1911 trigger system and I've dumped some money into my current limited set up, but I looked at that tangfo for months before making the leap to STI

Edited by Warkitz

Hope to have one of these in a few weeks for an out of box video!

I can't wait to see it. I'm expecting and hoping to hear that it's a great pistol. We need more options, and building a 2011 shouldn't command such high prices. I'd actually like to see taurus make a 2011. My pt1911 runs perfectly.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

you could buy used to get a lower price point, or just buy new and then sell if it doesn't meet your needs and you'd be out less than $2k.

and no one says you have to drop 2-3k, there are a lot of good shooters getting it done with glocks and other plastic guns.

Seems like the CZ Tactical Sport is a viable alternative to the 2011 platform.

Yeah, I would consider that route (i have one and love it), or just get a non custom 2011 and be nice to it and sell it if you don't stick with it.

Honestly tho, life is too short to not have what you want. Shooting is an incredibly cheap sport compared to dirtbiking, skiing, or letting your wife turn you into a wine snob.

Great replies, thanks to all the responders. Lots to go over. I know life is definitely short, and that was a well thought out response. I must say that if certain wives, and not just one I'm very familiar with, would have a lot of our fellow shooters hides tacked to the wall if they knew how much us competition lunatics have shelled out. I only got started in the sport 5 years ago, and was eligible for the senior division immediately.

Started with a Taurus Beretta clone, then from there.........then I needed a 3 gun setup, and reloading gear, then better optics, and that new shotgun.

I have have not regretted one dime..................

Edited by mont1120

I'm in a similar place, wanting a 2011 for fun but not really Limited right now. I'd love an Infinity but won't justify the cost, and don't want a stock STI.

MAC Arms (SPS?) makes a 2011 clone for under $1000. The Paras seem like an outstanding deal but I'm not sure how I like the balance or grip options.

Personally I'm leaning toward another 1911 for backup (and cost I guess, considering the rig/setup). Otherwise I might go with a custom build 2011.

I must say that if certain wives, and not just one I'm very familiar with, would have a lot of our fellow shooters hides tacked to the wall if they knew how much us competition lunatics have shelled out.

my wife can get her own job if she doesn't like it.

CZ Tactical Sport with holster and mags for $900.

I try to always shoot major, so I really think I'll stick with the .40. I'd go with .45 but the loss in capacity is too tough to compete with. My shooting buddy does ues a RIA, and had the same issues as listed on the forum. Minor but not without some aggravation. I expect that with most of the guns we use. Tuning is just part of the fun.

​Except when you are having the best match of your life, and you get two, count em two squibs. I thought I would have an epileptic seizure I was so mad at myself.