Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

140mm vs 170mm

slinginlead

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with Mike. The courses I shoot at are designed with the SS and Production shooter in mind. There is a lot of running on the longer stages. A lot of no-shoots and barriers are strategically placed to make absolutely sure Open shooters cannot hit all the targets from one spot. There is also a lot of steel and some reactives. For example, at the last match I shot, the longest stage was 30 rounds. Yes, you could have completed using a single 170 if you didn't make any mistakes, but you would have had to cover the same ground as everybody else just to access the targets. On the last transition you could have reloaded twice by the time you got to the last firing position, so 140s would not have cost you time.

That being said, Open shooters still use 170s, just in case. They say they can be much more aggressive on steel, especially while shooting on the move.

......... I do hate dropping the 170's on a gravel surface bay! ........... My 170 mags are every bit as reliable as my 140's.

And until (I refuse to use the word "if") Howard Smith once again offers his super sexy tuned 170's, I keep mine under lock and key. I probably treat it better than I do the gun itself.

Bill

If there is a field course, say 32 rounds, I will start with a 140 and then the first place where I can reload on the move I put in another 140. Or I'll start with a 170 and reload towards the end of the course, Depending on my game plan of where to reload.

I use 140's for classifiers.

Ok, got a question for ya. I was told by a top gun builder today that open shooters do not buy 170mm mags they only buy 140mm mags. This person also told me I just need to shoot 140mm mags in open cause the 170mm mags are finicky. I was also told by this person to get on the internet and do some searching. Well, that is what I am doing.

Do you buy into this and what is your opinion.

thanks

Do you or that gun builder go to matches?I don't think I have even seen an Open shooter that didn't use a big stick, maybe one once, but the other 10K++ all do

Edited by BSeevers

I shoot regularly, I have not shot in a few months cause of knee surgery but I will be back again next weekend. As far as this builder goes, I can not answer that truthfully, I know at one time he was supposedly a top builder but I have not heard of him shooting in a long time.

If there is a field course, say 32 rounds, I will start with a 140 and then the first place where I can reload on the move I put in another 140. Or I'll start with a 170 and reload towards the end of the course, Depending on my game plan of where to reload.

I use 140's for classifiers.

+1 on this approach.

Large course: Most of the time I start with 140 and reload to 140, on a rare occasion I reload to 170, just depends on stage plan.

Small course (<29 rounds): 170 without reload

Classifier: 140

I have never had a problem with 170s

I use a combo of big stick and 140. I use the 140s on the classifiers exclusively and prefer to load to them than the big stick. I will occasionally load to the big stick if it makes since such as 2-3 close targets then movement and the rest of the shots are all right there where you can stay on the trigger the whole time. I usually will try a reload somewhere unless there is a good reason to do so. I there is plenty of space in do one I will reload vs trying to run the gun to empty just to do so. If it's a hose fest and I can stay on the trigger the whole time is when I will try it. My big stick is just as reliable as the 140s but not not all are. The ones I have seen issues are the ones who push the limit past where they should and the springs are what don't always hold up very long when it's pushed like that kinda like the 22 round 40 cal mags in 140 they work but gotta keep on them.

Ok, got a question for ya. I was told by a top gun builder today that open shooters do not buy 170mm mags they only buy 140mm mags. This person also told me I just need to shoot 140mm mags in open cause the 170mm mags are finicky. I was also told by this person to get on the internet and do some searching. Well, that is what I am doing.

Do you buy into this and what is your opinion.

thanks

Sounds like you smith is not an Open shooter. It's all about options. That is a big advantage shooting Open. For most other divisions, the stage dictates where you reload. In Open, we generally get to pick where we WANT to reload.

Edited by Shadyscott999

I have 4 170MM and 4 140MM. I use 140’s on classifiers, otherwise I will use whatever combo works best for a given stage:

Start 170 reload to 140

Start 140 reload to 170

Start 170 reload to 170

Start 140 reload to 140

all my mags work.

I have 4 170MM and 4 140MM. I use 140’s on classifiers, otherwise I will use whatever combo works best for a given stage:

Start 170 reload to 140

Start 140 reload to 170

Start 170 reload to 170

Start 140 reload to 140

all my mags work.

Ditto on this. I figure I want to be able to start and reload with any mag so I can do what is optimal for a stage. At the same time I try and save wear and tear on 170's if it's not needed.

I tell all people who want to shoot with me in Open to only use 140s and to preferably download them 2 or 3 rounds. If they appear to be partifcularly skilled I also tell htem that the secret to not letting batteries in your optic go dead on you during a match is to actually remove it from the Cmore and use a red felt tip pen in the center of the lens instead. Battery problem solved. :devil:

I was wondering about that myself. I can get 23 38 SC in mine & have heard of some people getting 24 but not 26. 9mm maybe?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I only get 22 in TF 140's and 23 in TTI 140's (9mm) My TF 170 will hold 28

I started out shooting steel challenge and since there is no advantage to the higher cap mags, I bought five 140's for my open gun. I do have a couple of the 170's and can honestly say I like to start with a 170 and then load to whatever makes sense to finish out the stage.