Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ammo Catching @ match

A RO is only there to try to double verify ...".

BTW: this is not why we have ROs, we have them in order to ensure shooters safety execute shooting, try to prevent shooters from doing something unsafe if possible and stop a shooter if they engage in an unsafe activity. ROs are much more then backup safety mechanisms ....

• Replies 709
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't like the flip/catch thing; we have a lot of newer shooters, too. Yesterday,one guy caught the round as it was flying by his head and over his shoulder, so you know the muzzle, while pointed downrange, was jerking around a lot.

Most of the flip/catch guys I've seen are holding up progress. Focus is not on the task at hand. The RO is waiting for the shooter to finish playing with the ejected round and the ejected magazine that he is attempting to place back in the magazine carrier. So the shooter has three different things in his hands; two things - magazine and round - have to be stored before he can get back to the business at hand of showing clear and holstering. Nothing can be done. The time cannot be given to the scorekeeper. The "range clear" command is delayed. The RO is wasting time while the gun is still not cleared.

I say drop the magazine on the ground; eject the round; show clear and holster so that everyone can resume doing their jobs; pick up your round and magazine; catch up with the RO as he is scoring.

The time it takes to flip & catch is no different than any other ULSC procedure. Finish shooting, remove & stow magazine, flip & catch, re-open to double check chamber and hold for RO if they want to see it. That takes what, 3-5 sec?

As opposed to any other way which is faster? It takes longer to say the actual commands.

By the way once the CoF is over the RO can hold the timer behind their back while ULSC is going on, and the scorekeeper can just read it off aloud and enter it.

I've been a flip n catcher for sometime now and after I flip n catch I always grab the slide from the back and pull it back a second time for the RO to see and don't proceed until I hear him/her acknowledge a clear chamber ... never had an issue ...

You must stand there a while. The ro never tells you the chamber is clear.

Some RO's do acknowledge it by muttering 'good' or 'I see it' or whatever, especially when the shooter is holding the chamber open and waiting. But even just saying "if clear, HD&H" is pretty much an acknowledgment. I don't say that unless I see the empty chamber.

I say drop the magazine on the ground; eject the round; show clear and holster so that everyone can resume doing their jobs; pick up your round and magazine; catch up with the RO as he is scoring.

You can do that way if you want. There is no way I'm ever going to drop a clean magazine on the ground after the course of fire. Sorry if you think it slows things down, but I am not in a hurry during ULSC, and I shouldn't have to 'catch up with the RO' as he is scoring.

Let's see,

If you are fin.........

Turn gun sideways while gripping slide

Rack slide

Catch loaded round

Grip slide second time and pull open

Stand still until RO says next command " If clear........"

I don't see any time being wasted. It takes more time to find and pick up loaded round.

BTW, "OK or good" are not range commands. If the RO is using them he either needs to go back to school or give up the timer. Uniformity is important. That's why we certify.

I have no problem with the flip and catch as long as it is done with muzzle safety. I do have a question about this style of unloading. I have always been taught that on 1911 or 2011 style pistols that it is not good to drop a slide without chambering a round?.......yet this "style" of unloading one is slamming the slide with the same force.....?????

I have no problem with the flip and catch as long as it is done with muzzle safety. I do have a question about this style of unloading. I have always been taught that on 1911 or 2011 style pistols that it is not good to drop a slide without chambering a round?.......yet this "style" of unloading one is slamming the slide with the same force.....?????

A stock recoil spring on a 1911 is what? 20#? I use an 8# recoil spring.

I have always been taught that on 1911 or 2011 style pistols that it is not good to drop a slide without chambering a round?.......yet this "style" of unloading one is slamming the slide with the same force.....?????

Wait, what? Even assuming that old wive's tale was true, I'm not just letting go of the slide. As a 50-ish person with normal reflexes, I have no trouble easing the slide forward and then catching the round.

Edited by motosapiens

I've done it this way for a lot of years. Never had a problem. Only thing I try to get shooters to do is chamber a round from a mag. Dropping one in the chamber and closing the slide will screw up the tension on the extractor real quick.

Riiiight. I've got my mag and round and showing clear before most ROs can get the range command out of their mouth. If in dropping everything your going to wait for me before you start scoring.

Um, no......

You can catch up, or send a delegate, or flip and catch safely...... :D:D

Personally I do not like the Flip, Catch routine. I am sure that there have been a lot of uncalled DQs on people doing this. My 'routine' Droop the mag to my left and and pocket and then rack teh round out onto my hand, verify clear, shot the RO, point the gun downrange and drop the hammer. Then holster. I know it takes no more time and frankly is in my NSHO much safer than flip and catch.

Riiiight. I've got my mag and round and showing clear before most ROs can get the range command out of their mouth. If in dropping everything your going to wait for me before you start scoring.

Um, no......

that is why I'll do what I have to do to be ready to go at range is clear. ROs don't want to wait for you to pick all your dropped gear before they go score.

Personally I do not like the Flip, Catch routine. I am sure that there have been a lot of uncalled DQs on people doing this. My 'routine' Droop the mag to my left and and pocket and then rack teh round out onto my hand, verify clear, shot the RO, point the gun downrange and drop the hammer. Then holster. I know it takes no more time and frankly is in my NSHO much safer than flip and catch.

You shot the RO?! :) you wrote: "verify clear, shot the RO," amazing how one little letter changes the whole meaning of the sentence.

Cha-lee said it best a while back .... This is a big boy sport and we're all adults .... All the supposed "reasoning" behind not doing the flip and catch because it's unsafe is just noise ...Mike Seeklander, probably the most safety conscious and procedure instructor I've ever training with does it and doesn't think twice about it .... ( this is not meant to imply other top instructors are not any less safety minded)

I assure you if someone does the flip and catch and violates a safety rule and is sent to Dairy Queen they will probably use a different technique next time ....

Edited by Nimitz

So.... based on nothing more than your speculation and opinion, I should not flip and catch. I should rack the round into my hand which based on my opinion and speculation is unsafe. Correct?

Um, no......

that is why I'll do what I have to do to be ready to go at range is clear. ROs don't want to wait for you to pick all your dropped gear before they go score.

Right -- because they have a stage to run, and keep on schedule, and they're working long hard days, so we can shoot.....

You've got options -- and as long as you execute safely you're good. Just don't point the muzzle at yourself.....

I'm not cool enough to catch the round in the air and I'm smart enough to not cover the ejection port with my hand. I just let the round land on the ground then pick it up. I don't think the flip/catch is unsafe and it doesn't bother me but seeing someone cover the ejection port with their hand and eject the round into it makes me cringe.

I've been a flip n catcher for sometime now and after I flip n catch I always grab the slide from the back and pull it back a second time for the RO to see and don't proceed until I hear him/her acknowledge a clear chamber ... never had an issue ...

like the others said. the responsibility is on the shooter, not the RO to ensure chamber is clear. the correct command is "if you are clear, hammer down, holster". this is because you are the one in control of the gun. They will certainly look, and stop you if they see something, but you need to check it yourself...

I totally agree with your other points though. I also flip, catch, then pull back the slide and present empty chamber to the RO. and as your quoted cha-lee saying. we are all big boys. if people want to do it then go for it. if they get DQ'd doing it that's their own fault.

Edited by BeerBaron

the correct command is "if you are clear, hammer down, holster".

Actually the correct command is "If Clear, Hammer Down, Holster" Rule 8.3.7. (Sorry just took RO class that commands were drilled into us so we'd saw them correctly).

I don't like the flip and catch thing but that's just me. It just bugs me when it happens but since it's permitted I just have to deal with it.